2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

Before this turns into yet another "Gus cant' coach" tread... is anyone else bothered by the fact that Webb, who broke freshman records at Tech, lost his starting job after an ankle injury and shoulder surgery and never got it back? He only had 22 pass completions since said surgery for 300 yards and 2 TDs. I wonder if he still has it after having his shoulder repaired?

No. The kid behind him beat him out while Webb was hurt & kept his job through good play.

I get that, but the question still remains if the kid beat him out in 2015 because he's that much better or because the shoulder injury took something off of Webb's game.

Not to me. Mahomes is good. Have you seen him play?

He's phenomenal.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before this turns into yet another "Gus cant' coach" tread... is anyone else bothered by the fact that Webb, who broke freshman records at Tech, lost his starting job after an ankle injury and shoulder surgery and never got it back? He only had 22 pass completions since said surgery for 300 yards and 2 TDs. I wonder if he still has it after having his shoulder repaired?

No. The kid behind him beat him out while Webb was hurt & kept his job through good play.

I get that, but the question still remains if the kid beat him out in 2015 because he's that much better or because the shoulder injury took something off of Webb's game.

Nope... just looking at the fact that Webb broke Texas Tech's freshman passing record, so I assumed he was pretty phenomenal too.

Nope... just looking at the fact that Webb broke Texas Tech's freshman passing record, so I assumed he was pretty phenomenal too.

Hey, beggars can't be choosers. We should take him, banged up and all. Webb at 80% may still be better than any of our other QBs at 100%.

If Mahomes were to transfer here, there is no doubt in my mind that he would start. I think he's that good - regardless of Webb's shoulder condition. It looks like he got beat out fair and square.

edit: that still doesn't mean that Webb's shoulder is 100%. I have no clue about that. My point is just that it wouldn't matter, because it was Mahomes job to lose once he started playing like he did.

Hey, beggars can't be choosers. We should take him, banged up and all. Webb at 80% may still be better than any of our other QBs at 100%.

I think we should definitely see what he can do, but I wouldn't take him without putting him through his paces. He certainly has the potential to be the top QB on our roster. His numbers are far better than the A&M QB transfer so many are worried about.

From what I have seen on video.....Sign him up and don't think twice. Kid can play...

Was there something Rhett saw in Evans that he didn't like or another issue? Did we sign JF3 because of his speed and hoped he could throw?

CDC sold the rest of the staff hard on JF3 from their time @ FSU plus I think Rhett & Gus were looking for a another Nick Marshall running wise.
Is Webb a read option QB and a true threat to run?
No. He's more of an open spread passing QB.

E, you mentioned in another thread (JSU QB) that Auburn was desperate for another QB. It appears Gus is not confident in his QBs on the roster, so, if you know and can say, who initiated the conversation with Webb?

if you know and can say, who initiated the conversation with Webb?

The staff looking at players transferring almost always initiates contact through back channels.

In this case we know from public articles they have talked for at least 3 months now, which likely means it's been closer to 4.

Was there something Rhett saw in Evans that he didn't like or another issue? Did we sign JF3 because of his speed and hoped he could throw?

CDC sold the rest of the staff hard on JF3 from their time @ FSU plus I think Rhett & Gus were looking for a another Nick Marshall running wise.

E, you mentioned in another thread (JSU QB) that Auburn was desperate for another QB. It appears Gus is not confident in his QBs on the roster, so, if you know and can say, who initiated the conversation with Webb?

Mrs. Peacock initiated it, from the study while holding a candlestick.

Mrs. Peacock initiated it, from the study while holding a candlestick.

Man, I had Col. Mustard in the library with the rope. Obviously, I didn't have a clue.

I would rather just go with W.Barrett and let it fly. I know crazy.

Every report I've seen from people who saw Barrett play in high school say he'll need a year of redshirting followed by at least one on the bench before he's ready for college play.

Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig were all 4th year juniors before they became the starting QB. Jason Campbell started sooner by a year but he wasn't polished yet. Like it or not the development of a QB takes time. Lots of time. Gus hasn't had enough time with any QB for us to tell whether he can develop a QB or not.

Well maybe this post will light a fire into the "it was only a spring game" crew that likes to play the "we will be fine" card every night right before bed to ease the heart burn and and the depressing dissonance of having underwhelming quarterbacks.

Regardless of the outcome..It was only a spring game....the guys competing are just not up to par. Last season Gus thought he had his guy in JJ, but he melted under the pressure. This season no guy has separated from the pack, can't blame him for looking...

Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig were all 4th year juniors before they became the starting QB. Jason Campbell started sooner by a year but he wasn't polished yet.

This is why folks who have already written Sean off or who think that Tyler is a viable candidate this season... think differently than I do.

Other fires out there, oh cryptic one?

So.....explain please.....other potential QB's out there?

This board and it's members are not ready for this info. I'd be called every name in the book if I were to say. No way. Golf would agree.

And using SW in the read option offense really really has me very concerned if Gus has what it take to win big at this level. What a stupid stupid idea this is. SW is not a read option QB.

Hope Webb is ready because it is very obvious that Gus and Rhett can't develop a QB.

You should go ahead and spill the beans. A few posters need to be toughened up anyway.

Toughened up...u guys make me laugh with that....for crying out loud it's a dang message board... If they know something or have a opinion then they should bring it up or not say anything at all.

This board and it's members are not ready for this info. I'd be called every name in the book if I were to say. No way. Golf would agree.

And using SW in the read option offense really really has me very concerned if Gus has what it take to win big at this level. What a stupid stupid idea this is. SW is not a read option QB.

Hope Webb is ready because it is very obvious that Gus and Rhett can't develop a QB.

You should go ahead and spill the beans. A few posters need to be toughened up anyway.

Toughened up...u guys make me laugh with that....for crying out loud it's a dang message board... If they know something or have a opinion then they should bring it up or not say anything at all.

OMG yes it is a dang message board. Now quit taking everything so literally. I meant that he should put the news on them whether they are ready or not.

I was at A-Day plus I watched the reply of the game. I was not blown away by either quarterback. It felt like I was watching the Quarterbacks play during the 2015 season. I wish we had coaches who knew how to develop Quarterbacks.

go back to 2010 a day & see how Cam played. You can't look into the spring game that deep.

I agree. Developing QBs is not our coaches problem. They have done that with Cam, Todd, and even Marshall. The problem is finding a QB who has the skills to be consistent in the passing game if they do not possess the abilitiy to run. Todd did.

They have found with their last 2-3 QBs they dont have the special skills to be effective in the passing game, and either dont read defenses well or dont have the arm to extend the field and open up the defenses.

This is how i see it...JJ was a bit overrated out of HS, and the complexities of college football may be too much for him. SW is just not a good fit but I agree maybe the offense needs to be tailored to his strengths an bit more

This sounds like when Danny Sheridan knew who the bagman was that "paid" Cam, but would not release the info until later. Or you could call is1 900 number to get an early jump (charges may apply when calling the number).

Jason started as a redshirt Freshman, but I completely agree with the meaning of the post. QBs often take time to really develop.

Jason was called "The Future" back in 2001. He lost the job midway through the year, got it back when the offense stalled under Cobb, and took it back for good mid-way through his redshirt sophomore season (in the swamp... same game that Cadillac broke his ankle). Folks on the site would've written Jason and the 2004 season off before it started.

if you know and can say, who initiated the conversation with Webb?

The staff looking at players transferring almost always initiates contact through back channels.

In this case we know from public articles they have talked for at least 3 months now, which likely means it's been closer to 4.

Thanks for the input, E

If Gus is really going after this guy...just think about it....the qb's aren't as good as many of you say and think if Gus is trying to get this guy playing for us

If Gus is really going after this guy...just think about it....the qb's aren't as good as many of you say and think if Gus is trying to get this guy playing for us

Or he's just potentially that much better. The kid did break the freshman passing record at a school that runs the air raid. If he's still got it after shoulder surgery, then we could have one of the better SEC QBs on our roster and he could still come in and beat him. Heck, Kingsbury says he thinks that Webb will be a top 5 QB pick in the NFL draft (of course, he wants to help him get on a good team).

Exactly. Again it is an "if", but if Gus is going after him especially after spring, it sounds like AU opened the communication back up. I wonder if Webb even had an offer earlier in the year when he was originally looking for schools.

Exactly. Again it is an "if", but if Gus is going after him especially after spring, it sounds like AU opened the communication back up. I wonder if Webb even had an offer earlier in the year when he was originally looking for schools.

It was reported he didn't.

It was reported he didn't.

That's my understanding as well.

Archived