Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Anyone know what this song is trying to say?

Warning us of a Donald Trump presidency in our future?

Seriously, I have no idea.........very seldom do I listen to message........always hear melody and harmony.

I wont rest till I find out? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Warning us of a Donald Trump presidency in our future?

Seriously, I have no idea.........very seldom do I listen to message........always hear melody and harmony.

I wont rest till I find out? 

Same way most of the time. I think that part of it is that I have trouble making out words in songs and even in movies and TV. There are songs that I've been listening to my whole life that I still don't 100% know the lyrics to. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Same way most of the time. I think that part of it is that I have trouble making out words in songs and even in movies and TV. There are songs that I've been listening to my whole life that I still don't 100% know the lyrics to. 

I have had many good songs ruined by the lyrics. Well...”many”. Not sure how many, but....many. That’s a funny word. Many. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Same.......I like more of the timing of a well placed background vocal.........however, a song like Uranium Fever, is more of a story wrapped in a tune if that makes sense ?

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Anyone know what this song is trying to say?

Found a tutorial primer.

Hope this helps:

“General CommentI am a new member, and it's so good to see and read so many fellow RUSH fans. Their respective musicianship, demeanor and intellectually progressive style is second to none, in my opinion, and makes them, again in my opinion, the best three piece rock band ever.

As a drummer, philosopher and appreciator of unique and interesting personalities, I have appreciated Neil Peart in various capacities for some time. As an undergraduate philosophy student (presently working on my Ph.D.) we were assigned in senior seminar to write about our favorite living philosopher. I turned in a twenty page treatise on Neil Peart and the look on my professors face was priceless. Without reading it, he handed it back and told me to grow up and do the assignment, stating "He's not even an academic. How could he be a philosopher?" (such attitudes are commonplace) I told him that if he didn't think differently after reading it I would quit school. He could tell I was serious. The next day, handing me a paper with the first letter of our alphabet scribed widely across the top, he asked me, embarrassed, if I would burn him a CD with "some of their stuff" :-)

As far as lyrical meaning, it is important to note that, while influenced by Twain, Rand and various others, he is (in his own words), "a disciple of no one." Through his lyrics we can piece together a personal philosophy, a proprietary blend, of anti-idealism/objectivism/individualism (Freewill, The Pass, TOM SAWYER, Show Don't Tell, Vital Signs, etc...), fatalism (Roll The Bones, a personal favorite), existentialism (again, Roll The Bones, Limelight, the title "All The World's A Stage") and several other philosophical influences.

Tom Sawyer (not Diane Sawyer, Ricky. hehe) is, in both the book and song, the personification of a sort or type of person, the sort of person breaking away from the status quo, exploring and, importantly, the sort who represents both a normative and actual shifting of the human paradigm in the direction of his (man's) rational evolution. This fits, to a greater or lesser extent, with Freud's idea that man evolves in such a way as to shed his dependence on ideals (religion, social norms) and replace that dependence with a greater implementation of reason (leading to self-reliance, a deeper self-awareness and sense of responsibility for ones own "destiny"). Tom Sawyer has thus been a different people at different transitional points in man's evolution (our history). "Todays" Tom Sawyer is exactly what the song says; a leader to the next step in realizing pure reason or rationality; the "space he invades," is his days work, to explore the unknown as progress towards truth; the "friction of the day," is the resistance he faces from both people's unwillingness to embrace change as well as the intellectual rigor of tackling what hasn't already been explored (the guy who cuts a path through the forest faces resistance from the brush leaving those who follow behind with little to do but be complacent and stagnate). He (TS) does all of this with a mind filled only by his own conclusions (i.e. "not for rent"), and via the power coming from honest intellectual reciprocity or dialectical process ("he gets high on you," "he gets by on you"). As far as "riding out the days events," the song is referring to fate controlling what life gives to us, even though it is our responsibility (and can be a point of pride if done well) to live our own life with what fate hands us. In RUSH's "Roll the Bones," Peart refers to the same notion, "we draw our own designs, but fortune has to make that frame."

The philosophical analysis could go on and on. Tom Sawyer is an intellectually (ideologically) dense song, as are many other of Peart's lyrics. It would take a while to thoroughly unpack them and I feel bad writing as much as I have. Sorry about that. I'm new, and haven't yet developed any restraint :-) “

roll_the_bones79on July 27, 2007   Link

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/44867/

• Thanks 1

Really no one knows what the hell the lyrics are really trying to say. That's always been the rumor anyways.........only the Shadow knows

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Really no one knows what the hell the lyrics are really trying to say. That's always been the rumor anyways.........only the Shadow knows

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

or did you mean to play Jeopardy?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

or did you mean to play Jeopardy?

Evil lurks 

• Thanks 1

I heard this song a couple of weeks ago early in the morning on a local alt rock radio station on my way to work. Needless to say it caught my attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I heard this song a couple of weeks ago early in the morning on a local alt rock radio station on my way to work. Needless to say it caught my attention.

I like that.

Been playin' on the radio for considerable time, so probably won't be new to anybody here. Nonetheless, I now know who performs it, and I post it.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 12:46 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Just the whole show. ;)

Very good stuff.

Thanks again.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:59 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

RTJ 

Digging this song. I am only catching bits and pieces of the lyrics, but damn I like it. I added it to my playlist and just about killed myself running  this evening.

• Love 1

On 5/2/2018 at 3:59 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

RTJ 

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Digging this song. I am only catching bits and pieces of the lyrics, but damn I like it. I added it to my playlist and just about killed myself running  this evening.

Funny RTJ story. Went to Slossfest last year with a few old friends. We used to run the jam band circuit together, and these other 3 guys still mostly live in that space. Long story short, we were there to see Widespread Panic. It was all very last minute for me and I went over to meet them in Bham day of. Didn't even know who else was on the bill. Well, they tell me that RTJ is on right before WSP. They had never even heard of them. "Some band called Jog the Crown or something?" I lose my sh*t. Fast forward to the show, sure enough, RTJ burn the damned place down. Turned it up to 12, almost literally. One of my friends was blown away and the other two looked confused and a little scared. Poor Panic didn't stand a chance, and to add insult to injury, they had a slight sound problem that dampened their sound. So, again almost literally, they turned it down from a 12 to a 6. My buddy who is the biggest Panic fan was mad that his team got whooped by some upstart rap hoodlums. (Same guy posted on social media after Kendrick Lamar played the halftime show of the national championship game that rap isn't real music. Yeah. That 40-something white guy.) 

Anyway, TR, this is another banger to run to.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

This is awesome 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

This is awesome 

No offense intended, just found the juxtaposition funny as hell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Funny RTJ story. Went to Slossfest last year with a few old friends. We used to run the jam band circuit together, and these other 3 guys still mostly live in that space. Long story short, we were there to see Widespread Panic. It was all very last minute for me and I went over to meet them in Bham day of. Didn't even know who else was on the bill. Well, they tell me that RTJ is on right before WSP. They had never even heard of them. "Some band called Jog the Crown or something?" I lose my sh*t. Fast forward to the show, sure enough, RTJ burn the damned place down. Turned it up to 12, almost literally. One of my friends was blown away and the other two looked confused and a little scared. Poor Panic didn't stand a chance, and to add insult to injury, they had a slight sound problem that dampened their sound. So, again almost literally, they turned it down from a 12 to a 6. My buddy who is the biggest Panic fan was mad that his team got whooped by some upstart rap hoodlums. (Same guy posted on social media after Kendrick Lamar played the halftime show of the national championship game that rap isn't real music. Yeah. That 40-something white guy.) 

Anyway, TR, this is another banger to run to.

Hahaha! That is a freaking awesome story! I fall into the same “Who the hell are these wizards!?” as your buddy. I had a similar experience at Lollapalooza at the UNO arena, except it was Rage that melted the crowds face...and I don’t even remember who came on immediately after. I mean literal face melting.

Back to RTJ, I am really liking why I’ve heard so far. Hellova vibe. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Hahaha! That is a freaking awesome story! I fall into the same “Who the hell are these wizards!?” as your buddy. I had a similar experience at Lollapalooza at the UNO arena, except it was Rage that melted the crowds face...and I don’t even remember who came on immediately after. I mean literal face melting.

Back to RTJ, I am really liking why I’ve heard so far. Hellova vibe. 

I could not possibly imagine how life changing it would have been to kinda accidentally witness Rage at the peak of their powers. If there is a Mount Everest of things that make you want to run through a burning building that you set on fire yourself because eff you building, you can't keep me down... #yourresidenceisresidue

Trivia tidbit: They're drilling a big tunnel in Atlanta to connect a water reservoir or something like that. They let the city vote on what to name the drill. 

killer-mike-atlanta-machine

Edited by McLoofus
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I could not possibly imagine how life changing it would have been to kinda accidentally witness Rage at the peak of their powers. If there is a Mount Everest of things that make you want to run through a burning building that you set on fire yourself because eff you building, you can't keep me down... #yourresidenceisresidue

Trivia tidbit: They're drilling a big tunnel in Atlanta to connect a water reservoir or something like that. They let the city vote on what to name the drill. 

killer-mike-atlanta-machine

Hahahaha! This is such a fantastic description of that feeling! I couldn’t have written it any better! 

ETA- Having a massive freaking drill named after you? Life goals.

*digs through new music*

Edited by Tiger Refuge

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Hahahaha! This is such a fantastic description of that feeling! I couldn’t have written it any better! 

ETA- Having a massive freaking drill named after you? Life goals.

*digs through new music*

Hahaha. I'm a 40-something, straight, middle-to-upper-middle class, able-bodied white guy. Let's be honest. I have to make up things to rage against. 

• Haha 1