Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

On 5/13/2018 at 1:48 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I've told the story before but saw Taj in Fort Lauderdale at a small jazz club. Maybe 20 people were there and he just showed up one night and started playing.....man that was one great show.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Goodness haven't heard Delbert in awhile

same here. a little bored and ran across this. station in Apalachicola called Oyster Radio digs stuff like this up every weekend non stop. 

Edited by SaltyTiger

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

same here. a little bored and ran across this. little station in Apalachicola called Oyster Radio digs stuff like this up every weekend non stop. 

You mean WOYS

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Great song, indeed.

Also, peak Aerosmith was SO good and SO much better than late Aerosmith. Toys in the Attic, Rocks... great music. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Goodness haven't heard Delbert in awhile

Probably (by a margin) the most effective dance band we've ever booked for our Ball. We've got some, um, elderly members of our Krewe, but not a geezer in the place was sitting' down.(would have been early '00s, I think?)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

A little comparison all four are good cause its a good damn song

...and thanks for the introduction. Don't think I'd heard the Aerosmith cut.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not your average Andre 3000.

Thank You. Like what I've heard so far, and I'll come back to it.,but mostly see it as well-performed ambience music? Excellent background for a conversational setting. As a whole composition, however, a bit dischordant [sic] for focused listening and, like many "progressive" works, doesn't seem to go anywhere in particular?

Never heard of the performer, so I got not an inkling of what "average" is, but I'll listen to your 2nd, and probably explore a little more.

Many Thanks.

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Thank You. Like what I've heard so far, and I'll come back to it.

I hope he pursues this further. There's something there. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Great song, indeed.

Also, peak Aerosmith was SO good and SO much better than late Aerosmith. Toys in the Attic, Rocks... great music. 

Completely agree saw Aerosmith mid 70's in Huntsville drove all night after the concert to play in a golf tourney in Memphis. Like to have killed me but well worth it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And

Far better to my ears. Seems more progression in the overall trajectory for the shorter piece?

'Course my Dad, whose tastes were much more narrowly focused than mine ("If it ain't Dixie, it ain't jazz"), is rolling in his crematorium (Fish River).

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Completely agree saw Aerosmith mid 70's in Huntsville drove all night after the concert to play in a golf tourney in Memphis. Like to have killed me but well worth it.

Reminds me of 2 stories and a movie all at once. And, as usual, makes me very jealous. 

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Thank You. Like what I've heard so far, and I'll come back to it.,but mostly see it as well-performed ambience music? Excellent background for a conversational setting. As a whole composition, however, a bit dischordant [sic] for focused listening and, like many "progressive" works, doesn't seem to go anywhere in particular?

Never heard of the performer, so I got not an inkling of what "average" is, but I'll listen to your 2nd, and probably explore a little more.

Many Thanks.

Agree with that assessment completely.

What is exciting to me is that Andre 3000 is mostly known for being one half of one of the better and more innovative rap duos ever and it's such a departure and there's something encouraging about hearing him ruminate with an instrument like this. Have to cop to a little bit of Atlanta hero worship, too. These guys are arguably the city's most important cultural contribution. And I shook hands with the guy once because he was just low key chilling in my neighborhood pub on New Year's Eve one year. I just wished him a happy one, and he smiled real big and wished me one back. That will always stick with me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Far better to my ears. Seems more progression in the overall trajectory for the shorter piece?

'Course my Dad, whose tastes were much more narrowly focused than mine ("If it ain't Dixie, it ain't jazz"), is rolling in his crematorium (Fish River).

Given at least one very important and lasting selection your Dad made, his taste is not to be questioned. I'll gladly just call that other jazz something else when on Fish River.

Most sincere of apologies if too on the nose.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree with that assessment completely.

What is exciting to me is that Andre 3000 is mostly known for being one half of one of the better and more innovative rap duos ever and it's such a departure and there's something encouraging about hearing him ruminate with an instrument like this. Have to cop to a little bit of Atlanta hero worship, too. These guys are arguably the city's most important cultural contribution. And I shook hands with the guy once because he was just low key chilling in my neighborhood pub on New Year's Eve one year. I just wished him a happy one, and he smiled real big and wished me one back. That will always stick with me.

BTW - Ever heard of this guy? Old favorite of my wife (bless her heart). Warning: often grunts onstage, as if he's struggling to coax those ill-tempered, "between-the-cracks" notes out of his piano (which is ill-suited to such tasks). Bass (at root, an ill-tempered instrument) player has no such need to vocalize.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

BTW - Ever heard of this guy?

I have now. Thank you much. I enjoy this quite a bit. Really like how his left hand sometimes seems to operate as a completely separate instrument with its own brain, keeping an eye on that right hand and keeping it on task.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Given at least one very important and lasting selection your Dad made, his taste is not to be questioned. I'll gladly just call that other jazz something else when on Fish River.

Most sincere of apologies if too on the nose.

No thing. I do my part to make sure he gets his exercise.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, McLoofus said:

Given at least one very important and lasting selection your Dad made, his taste is not to be questioned.

OK. Probably drifting OT, but it's been gnawing at me. How did you know he didn't throw me back?

(w./ musical repost in an attempt to return to topicality)

rpLPfCI.png

Edited by AUld fAUx@
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

OK. Probably drifting OT, but it's been gnawing at me. How did you know he didn't throw me back?

(w./ musical repost in an attempt to return to topicality)

rpLPfCI.png

1. AWESOME song.

2. Even better picture.

3. I don't suppose I do!

• Thanks 1