Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

Sweet damn collection.....Tull, Bella Donna, Nebraska, Young, Patti Smith.....fine stuff.

Golf, you're NUTS, lol.....why? Blaspheme....

Most things, depending on rarity, were under $10. Which is still amusing because some of them have their original price tags on them for under 5.

Some of the stuff in my collection are re-issues on 180grain, but I've found that some original pressings have a richer sound, especially the Jerry Garcia Band--they sound immaculate. The metal re-issues sound better.

For mechanical reproduction, vinyl every time....just nothing like it.

Arguably one of the best albums ever created.

Saw Neil Young with Promise of the Real(Willie's son's band), opener Band of Horses at Red Rocks. Great show.

HOWEVER, the whole Monsanto angle was corny. After BoH played 3 or 4 girls came out in straw hats and overalls "spreading seeds and planting flowers" on stage. Young then played about 5 songs solo acoustically(including my personal favorite, Old Man). After that mini set, a group of people in hazmat suits came out and sprayed fog("poison") on the previously mentioned "plants". So cheese.

I wish it had been Crazy Horse, but just seeing Neil Young was a bucket list show for me. At Red Rocks no less.

Sidenote: people get TRASHED at Neil Young shows. Never seen so many stumbling drunks at a show in my lifetime.

CSNY was so damn good.....Young, solo is not exactly chopped liver....Red Rocks is probably my favorite concert venue ever. Colorado has always been a great place for artists....A lot of musical interest in the state for all genres...In a somewhat weird turn of the musical wheel, the SF Bay area eats Americana music alive...always sells very well there.....tix and mechanicals.

I'll agree with Young on this much....I am NOT a Monsanto fan, lol.....but time and place for everything......if someone has a social/political statement, I'm old school, make it musically. I am a huge fan of Young's music.

On people getting wasted, been around concerts and festivals a long time....the consumption has changed drastically. I've been in buildings where you only had to breathe to get high and in some highly conservative places, too...

Artists are notoriously, "risk takers"......I've seen some magnificently talented people implode. I've seen equally talented people do the same things and work at the top of their game for decades. Case study to be made of the differences between those who can maintain and those who flame out, in one way or another. Never seen a place where it doesn't have some influence. I live in an area that produces tons of contemp Christian music. Writers, musicians, vocal talent, production and publishing houses all over the place and some of them are just as active that way as anyone I've ever seen.

"Better to burn out than fade away".

I'm fine with people having a good time at a show. But if you're treating a show like a social event and yammering on and on to your buddies, then you need to head back to the parking lot.

I agree Shocks. Decorum is missing these days. Also, been to some concerts recently that the crowd was completely rapt with attention. Nickel Creek reunited for a tour, 3 nights at the Ryman and the crowd was mesmerized...Vastly different venue than an amphitheater, though..Quite a different demographic for most bands, too.

FTR, NC was great. All three great musicians and Thile is just off the charts.

Edited by telling tiger

Not to keep circling back to Merlefest, but Thile got an early break there when he won the amateur contest or whatever it's called. My first year there was the following year, and everybody was talking about "The Kid". "Man, you gotta see The Kid", etc. Sure enough, he set the weekend on fire. Seemed to sit in on every big set of the festival. Crushed the mandolin jam... with Bush, Grisman and all the rest just in awe. And I think it was the next year that he was back with Nickel Creek, and it was so cool to see these youngsters up there pushing Americana forward. Completely agree with your assessment, telling tiger.

I think that was Gillian Welch's and David Rawlings's first year there, too. And then a year or two after that was right after O Brother, Where Art Thou? came out. Exciting times for bluegrass. Gillian, Emmylou and Allison Krauss, chills up the spine. (Damn... got to see John Hartford several times, too. There'll never be another like him. RIP.)

Welch and Rawlings are the real deal, for sure.....You are talking about a Berklee grad and Grammy winners who will still busk new tunes on Nashville streets to try them out...

Very plaintive sound at times. Not for everyone, extremely talented no matter someone's musical taste...

and keep circling back to Merlefest, some classic performances and some breaking newer talents..Nothing wrong with that....

Edited by telling tiger

Telling tiger, Suite Judy Blue Eyes is great. Southern Cross is one of my top ten all time for sure. It was probably posted somewhere in this thread already. I found this cover a while ago. It's worth the listen.

One of my all time favorite bands. Glad I got to go see them at Oak Mtn.

The talent was obvious but, never got into 10,000 Maniacs....Now the solo effort, Tigerlilly, by Nat....was a different story, several really good songs on that record.

The talent was obvious but, never got into 10,000 Maniacs....Now the solo effort, Tigerlilly, by Nat....was a different story, several really good songs on that record.

Well, as I heard/read...It was she who supplied the lyrics from her journals growing up and Buck et al. supplied the music. Who supplied the music once she went solo, I am not familiar with, but I did love her solo stuff.