Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had 100% forgotten about this cat until listening to the radio this morning. Damn, what a career he has had and what an interesting dude. It’s time for a deep dive.

Love Rodney here's a little younger Rodney

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Love Rodney here's a little younger Rodney

Great tune for sure. I was just just blindly unaware of his recordings prior to the 90’s and had genuinely forgotten about him.

Nice find under a freshly overturned rock this morning. 

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, augolf1716 said:

Us eto listen to this style of music while working on my Dad's farm. Great times

I love good music but isn’t this what a lot of music is about? Half of what are in my playlists are tunes to take me back to great times, help me reminisce about that girl I was certain I couldn’t live without, or other such things. Much of what plays on my music player at work I know folks are rolling their eyes about (“bad” 80s music) but it is the memories associated as much as the music that I like. And, what the hell….I’m in charge so they don’t have a choice, lol. Example: I still think this is an incredible song and was a great video but the younger folks….not sure they agree (can only find a partial video)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, fredst said:

I love good music but isn’t this what a lot of music is about? Half of what are in my playlists are tunes to take me back to great times, help me reminisce about that girl I was certain I couldn’t live without, or other such things. Much of what plays on my music player at work I know folks are rolling their eyes about (“bad” 80s music) but it is the memories associated as much as the music that I like. And, what the hell….I’m in charge so they don’t have a choice, lol. Example: I still think this is an incredible song and was a great video but the younger folks….not sure they agree (can only find a partial video)

Completely agree was living in Lauderdale at the time your song/video as well as Glenn came out lots of good memories with both songs especially on Lauderdale beaches......oh my oh my

• Love 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Saw him in concert (Oak Mountain, early 90s I think) and didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to- probably had something to do with the memories associated, or lack thereof- but that opening to Dirty Laundry sounds sooooooo freaking cool. And BoS is an all timer. Probably better than anything the Eagles ever did (except Seven Bridges Road fight me)

For some reason I always used to lump him and Bruce Hornsby together. Very illegitimate pairing but that's just the way it is. Saw Bruce at Live Oak in the mid aughts, I think it was, and this song put me on another planet. Okay, so maybe the song had some help from other sensory explorations in which I'd participated that day, but I'm pretty sure it was very very dope on its own. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had 100% forgotten about this cat until listening to the radio this morning. Damn, what a career he has had and what an interesting dude. It’s time for a deep dive.

Is he a Texas guy? Man, his voice still sounds great!

I'm like you. Like, oh yeah, that guy! He feels "big" but I can't even put my finger on why. That's on me. Great pull! 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Saw him in concert (Oak Mountain, early 90s I think) and didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to- probably had something to do with the memories associated, or lack thereof- but that opening to Dirty Laundry sounds sooooooo freaking cool. And BoS is an all timer. Probably better than anything the Eagles ever did (except Seven Bridges Road fight me)

For some reason I always used to lump him and Bruce Hornsby together. Very illegitimate pairing but that's just the way it is. Saw Bruce at Live Oak in the mid aughts, I think it was, and this song put me on another planet. Okay, so maybe the song had some help from other sensory explorations in which I'd participated that day, but I'm pretty sure it was very very dope on its own. 

You know I'm a huge huge Bruce fan

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm like you. Like, oh yeah, that guy! He feels "big" but I can't even put my finger on why. That's on me. Great pull! 

Yes

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I heard him on World Cafe this morning. Talk about a damn interesting dude.

http://playlist.worldcafe.org/world-cafe-playlist-10-21-2021-rodney-crowell/?fbclid=IwAR3oCzkeUY3NVq4v21dVzB1o8RSIP4ayBcWlBHlCwU8s6UGvhdYkINLi3n4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Hello, soundtrack to my Friday morning

Gracias, amigo

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

• Love 4

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bruce Hornsby is some of that “bad” 80s music that plays from my iPod that they roll their eyes at, lol. Bruce is a very talented dude that has usually been behind the scenes but that was a great album. Really liked “Every Little Kiss” and “The River Runs Low” on that album

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You know I'm a huge huge Bruce fan

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Bruce Hornsby is some of that “bad” 80s music that plays from my iPod that they roll their eyes at, lol. Bruce is a very talented dude that has usually been behind the scenes but that was a great album. Really liked “Every Little Kiss” and “The River Runs Low” on that album

One of the most talented dudes in the game IMO

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For some reason I always used to lump him and Bruce Hornsby together. Very illegitimate pairing but that's just the way it is.

I see what you did there

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And BoS is an all timer.

The highfalutin word I use to describe that song is “elegiac”. Can’t help but be a little wistful when I hear the song, just because of the memories it invokes 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

The highfalutin word I use to describe that song is “elegiac”. Can’t help but be a little wistful when I hear the song, just because of the memories it invokes 

Google tells me that's an excellent use of that word... NERD

No, seriously, that's exactly what it is. 

In ascending order of elegiacity:

Summer of '69- "I guess nothing can last forever"

Jack and Diane- "Hold onto sixteen as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men"

Glory Days- "Pass you by, in the wink of a young girl's eye"

Boys of Summer- "Those days are gone forever, I should just let 'em go... but..."

Welp. Time for me to go stare in the mirror, suck in my gut, and frown. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In descending order of elegiacity:

Jack and Diane- "Hold onto sixteen as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men"

Boys of Summer- "Those days are gone forever, I should just let 'em go... but..."

One last more recent song for the same vibe (then I’ll stop before we all need a therapist):

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

One last more recent song for the same vibe (then I’ll stop before we all need a therapist):

At least they're all good songs haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I got drunk a while ago and listened in succession to every live version of Mandolin Rain I could find. Just in case you were wondering if I was cool. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Fantastic. Thanks for posting this one. 

Also from Heartworn Highways, here's my favorite songwriter of all time. If you don't feel anything watching this, I'm afraid you are dead inside. Songs starts a minute in. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

In ascending order of elegiacity:

About 20 years ago, Ryan Adams threw a fit at the Ryman Auditorium when a guy would not stop yelling "Play Summer of '69!" It's funny because Ryan Adams is a similar name to Bryan Adams. Get it?! He got a lot of bad press as a result. 

Anyway, RA was back at the Ryman in 2015 and, without saying a word, launched into this performance. I was there and I can tell you the place erupted. 

Whatever you might think of Ryan Adams as a human, he is a huge talent. This is a very cool version. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1