Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

This is one of the best analogies ever. I can put up with Bono a little more because U2 is  one of my favorite bands ever. What is it about musicians and actors/actresses that makes them feel like they are smarter than everyone else? I mean, hell, I’ve yet to see any of them giving expert advice on the football or recruiting boards here….

Perfect combo of spending time with other high achievers in other fields- and gleaning top level tidbits of their expertise- and then spending the rest of their time relaying their new insights to breathless sycophants. Is my guess. 

And, I mean, I totally get it. I crushed a wedding toast one time and you couldn't tell me nothin' for month after. Success is a hell of a drug!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

drivin and crying has always been one of the most underrated bands in the country.hell now you cannot find a cd of theirs on amazon.

Absolutely. A great band. I've actually been listening to them a lot lately. 

• Like 1

Kevn Kinney and Angie Aparo are playing locally soon. Angie is local. Should be a good time. Saw them once before and it's pretty much what you want a couple old singer-songwriter rocker buddies having beers and talking s*** to be.

Saw DNC many times back in the early 90s. I never knew the lord until I found a power chord...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Perfect combo of spending time with other high achievers in other fields- and gleaning top level tidbits of their expertise- and then spending the rest of their time relaying their new insights to breathless sycophants. Is my guess. 

And, I mean, I totally get it. I crushed a wedding toast one time and you couldn't tell me nothin' for month after. Success is a hell of a drug!

I long to experience this, if even transiently. For better or worse, being constantly reminded of my limitations seems my destiny. Man, I wish that I had just one sycophant, dammit

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I long to experience this, if even transiently. For better or worse, being constantly reminded of my limitations seems my destiny. Man, I wish that I had just one sycophant, dammit

f rickin
r idiculously
e rroneously
d eprecating
s elf
t o us but we don't believe him

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Like a male Gwyneth Paltrow. Neither one of them ever hurt anyone, both of them are really damned good at their jobs, and it's not like any of us would be any more grounded in their position.

Another question about this since you seem to have some insight. Did Gwyneth gain or lose credibility when she started hawking dildos, etc. on the internet (I mean, the corporate brand logo is basically a vagina for goodness sake)? Asking for a friend….

14 minutes ago, fredst said:

Another question about this since you seem to have some insight. Did Gwyneth gain or lose credibility when she started hawking dildos, etc. on the internet (I mean, the corporate brand logo is basically a vagina for goodness sake)? Asking for a friend….

I think the dildo hawking is where things went from "understandably out of touch- due to having been born into significant wealth and fame before trading on her beauty and genuine talent to launch herself into the stratosphere- but still likable superstar" to "human meme representing everything that is wrong with telling celebrities they're smart". I mean, she gained whole new legions of fans (evidently?) with the Goop brand but also alienated a lot of folks. Hearing about these people paying ungodly sums to an already unimaginably wealthy woman for a bit of "the other half" cosplay... it seems almost predatory on par with televangelists to me. 

I typically don't GAF about the personal lives of celebrities as long as they're not hurting anyone, but it's hard to ignore that particular arc. 

Also, I will absolutely use the personal life of that particular celebrity as a segue into my ultimate guilty pleasure song. I think I've told y'all how having a kid made this song a major trigger for me. 

• Love 1

Ok, I am not ashamed to admit that I really like Coldplay so no “guilty”pleasure. Found “A Rush of Blood…” way back as well as some super early Kings of Leon so I feel like I beat the popular crowd on those bands(for some reason, time of life that was a bit of a blur with young kids, I link those bands). I have to admit though, I may be late on this group but I really like. Kinda Billie Eilish vibe that my oldest is into 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fredst said:

I feel like I beat the popular crowd on those bands

I feel like this is a recurring theme with you. And I'm not being sarcastic or anything like that. I'm always curious how folks like yourself stay so tuned in with what's next? I have a good friend like you (in that regard only, which I assure you is no insult to you) out in New Mexico who is like a personal curator. Always on top of what's new and constantly "discovering" old stuff. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like this is a recurring theme with you. And I'm not being sarcastic or anything like that. I'm always curious how folks like yourself stay so tuned in with what's next? I have a good friend like you (in that regard only, which I assure you is no insult to you) out in New Mexico who is like a personal curator. Always on top of what's new and constantly "discovering" old stuff. 

I wish I was more dialed in to current stuff. Having college aged kids helps currently, lol, at least in comparison to my aged crowd. Now having resources like Spotify to just troll around helps me find different and new(to me) stuff. I am definitely not on the music vanguard though

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

I wish I was more dialed in to current stuff. Having college aged kids helps currently, lol, at least in comparison to my aged crowd. Now having resources like Spotify to just troll around helps me find different and new(to me) stuff. I am definitely not on the music vanguard though

Word. Man, I hope at least one of my kids listens to decent music. We need to put more effort into it. At least the oldest likes Jason Isbell

Following Scott Register and Bham Mountain Radio on Twitter is helpful for me. That's why I'd heard *of* Snail Mail. Hadn't actually gotten around to listening. Very cool share, btw. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Word. Man, I hope at least one of my kids listens to decent music. We need to put more effort into it. At least the oldest likes Jason Isbell

Following Scott Register and Bham Mountain Radio on Twitter is helpful for me. That's why I'd heard *of* Snail Mail. Hadn't actually gotten around to listening. Very cool share, btw. 

That has actually been one of my parenting goals: having my kids appreciate cultural things. I’m not great at it but having them listen to good music, know classic movies, read classic books. Sometimes just gentle reminders and sometimes forcing them to listen/watch/read. Made it a point to let them know 11/8 was 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin IV release, lol. They have been able to recognize movie quotes and scenes that their contemporaries have no clue about, especially Hitchcock and Kubrick. Doesn’t make me a better or super parent in anyway but it does give them a nice cultural base. Cool when my youngest wanted to rewatch “Rear Window” with me not long ago (Grace Kelly😍) and my oldest asked if I’d try to attend Austin City Limits with her next year. Just another way to connect…

• Love 2

39 minutes ago, fredst said:

That has actually been one of my parenting goals: having my kids appreciate cultural things. I’m not great at it but having them listen to good music, know classic movies, read classic books. Sometimes just gentle reminders and sometimes forcing them to listen/watch/read. Made it a point to let them know 11/8 was 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin IV release, lol. They have been able to recognize movie quotes and scenes that their contemporaries have no clue about, especially Hitchcock and Kubrick. Doesn’t make me a better or super parent in anyway but it does give them a nice cultural base. Cool when my youngest wanted to rewatch “Rear Window” with me not long ago (Grace Kelly😍) and my oldest asked if I’d try to attend Austin City Limits with her next year. Just another way to connect…

That connection is the primary objective, for sure. But that's awesome that you're instilling in them the appreciation for the classics. Just generally being open to great stuff, and also understanding the difference. It's not about snobbery or only appreciating "smart" or "serious" stuff, but in understanding what great art can do and that the thing about any great art is that it's great forever. Like... there's not another Grace Kelly. Perfect example. And, try as they may, Greta van Fleet aren't actually Led Zeppelin. Firsts are often onlys. 

ACL live is a bucket list item. ACL with your kid?!?!?!?!?! AYFKM?!?!?!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

Wannabes but definitely sound like and not too bad IMO

There was a discussion on them on here awhile back. They rock. No question about that. And it is a bit poetic that so many bands, um, emulated Led Zeppelin. 

22 hours ago, fredst said:

Ok, I am not ashamed to admit that I really like Coldplay so no “guilty”pleasure. Found “A Rush of Blood…” way back as well as some super early Kings of Leon so I feel like I beat the popular crowd on those bands(for some reason, time of life that was a bit of a blur with young kids, I link those bands). I have to admit though, I may be late on this group but I really like. Kinda Billie Eilish vibe that my oldest is into 

I remember picking up Kings of Leon's first EP at Tower Records. Still love it and Aha Shake Heartbreak. Do not care for the newer, popular stuff at all and I am realizing how much I sound like a douchebag so I will stop. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cbo said:

I remember picking up Kings of Leon's first EP at Tower Records. Still love it and Aha Shake Heartbreak. Do not care for the newer, popular stuff at all and I am realizing how much I sound like a douchebag so I will stop. 

Agree with this, no douchebaggery displayed here

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, Coldplay... No guilt in liking that band. But that particular song... It just isn't... normal... for me.

Coldplay has some good jams. Everyone knows it; some won't admit it. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 12:08 PM, McLoofus said:

Kevn Kinney and Angie Aparo are playing locally soon. Angie is local. Should be a good time. Saw them once before and it's pretty much what you want a couple old singer-songwriter rocker buddies having beers and talking s*** to be.

Saw DNC many times back in the early 90s. I never knew the lord until I found a power chord...

I don't know a thing about Angie Aparo, but I probably should. 

20 minutes ago, cbo said:

I don't know a thing about Angie Aparo, but I probably should. 

Honestly? Not really. I realize that sounds cruel but of all the stuff I already know you're into and all the stuff that gets discussed on here... I mean, there's probably a reason you don't already know more. 

If you get this same opportunity- to see him in an intimate venue, such as Eddie's Attic after you move to Atlanta ;) - then you'll have a fine time. But I don't see a situation where you're locked in on a full Angie album for an hour long drive or anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Honestly? Not really. I realize that sounds cruel but of all the stuff I already know you're into and all the stuff that gets discussed on here... I mean, there's probably a reason you don't already know more. 

If you get this same opportunity- to see him in an intimate venue, such as Eddie's Attic after you move to Atlanta ;) - then you'll have a fine time. But I don't see a situation where you're locked in on a full Angie album for an hour long drive or anything.

Got it, thanks. Just saw that Mike Cooley is doing a couple nights at Eddie's Attic in December. Might have to convince the family it's time for another trip for "research" purposes. 

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, cbo said:

Got it, thanks. Just saw that Mike Cooley is doing a couple nights at Eddie's Attic in December. Might have to convince the family it's time for another trip for "research" purposes. 

Saw Patterson there, among many others. Used to live a little less than a mile from there and walk to shows. Really cool little room and lots of great bars and restaurants right around there. Holla closer to go time.

• Like 1