Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

7 hours ago, cbo said:

That's awesome. Well, not for you for missing the show. But you salvaged that, huh?

Isbell has something I can't quite put my finger on that appeals to the masses. Part is obviously that he's an incredible songwriter and guitar player, and a good singer. But there are other greats in the same genre that don't have the same appeal. 

Going to see him at the Ryman soon and you know I will report back. 

Absolutely he does. I actually just typed and deleted a few attempts at articulating it but whatever I type would be both insufficient and overly wordy. I don't want to be antithetical to the subject we're discussing, lol.

Turnpike Troubadours are one of those bands that I feel dumb and embarrassed not to be more familiar with. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely he does. I actually just typed and deleted a few attempts at articulating it but whatever I type would be both insufficient and overly wordy. I don't want to be antithetical to the subject we're discussing, lol.

Turnpike Troubadours are one of those bands that I feel dumb and embarrassed not to be more familiar with. 

Start anywhere with Turnpike. Every album is great. The most recent, A Long Way From your Heart, might be the best. 

Lyrics are great, band is tight, and the melodies are catchy. This is what modern country radio should be. They're accessible, but intelligent. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cbo said:

Start anywhere with Turnpike. Every album is great. The most recent, A Long Way From your Heart, might be the best. 

Lyrics are great, band is tight, and the melodies are catchy. This is what modern country radio should be. They're accessible, but intelligent. 

Critical to my ability to recognize the true value of music, hence my love of our brethren from the Shoals area. Profound but not esoteric or pretentious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Critical to my ability to recognize the true value of music, hence my love of our brethren from the Shoals area. Profound but not esoteric or pretentious.

That's the sweet spot. Dumb can be fun and pretentious can be interesting, but neither is great for staying power. For me, anyway. 

• Love 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, cbo said:

Alexa and these boys are holding it down tonight. Good gravy this is a mountain music festival band if I've ever heard one. Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy to see them play a full two sets. But that... swing? bounce? just puts me in that late afternoon, blue sky, fat buzz, dancing with my best girl on a giant lawn frame of mind.

Oh, I should tell you that I'm all about the music- melodies, instrumentation, etc- on my first listen or two of just about anything. Takes me a minute to focus on lyrics. 

But digging these guys for sure.

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Alexa and these boys are holding it down tonight. Good gravy this is a mountain music festival band if I've ever heard one. Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy to see them play a full two sets. But that... swing? bounce? just puts me in that late afternoon, blue sky, fat buzz, dancing with my best girl on a giant lawn frame of mind.

Oh, I should tell you that I'm all about the music- melodies, instrumentation, etc- on my first listen or two of just about anything. Takes me a minute to focus on lyrics. 

But digging these guys for sure.

Yes! Love it, Loof. You should write band press releases. Great description of their music. 

The melodies and instrumentation grab you first. The lyrics emerge on repeated listens. This ain't Shakespeare. But it sounds like someone you know singing about someone you know. Only with greater insight and economy of words. And rhymes. Most of it rhymes. 

Some of the songs, like The Funeral, Shreveport, and Good Lord Lorrie, are great short stories. I'm a sucker for a story song. One night you will settle in with some whiskey, crank it up, and get into that aspect of the band. Until then, enjoy your mountain festival. 

• Love 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

Damn if it don't.

And the way he captures little moments we all understand. Perfect example is the second verse of 7&7, about the supermarket. 

I need to hold myself back. I could blather about this all night. 

• Haha 1

I'm never big on pop, but my wife left a pop station on my car's XM the other day and this one caught my ear. 

"This sounds like NIN"

Looked it up and sure enough Trent Reznor and Attticus Ross produced the album. Consider me impressed. 

• Like 1

Feeling my vibe on this at the gym

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I need to dig deeper on her. Everything I’ve heard so far, I really really like. I love that you can hear her accent in her singing voice.

She speaks as much as she sings, a la, I dunno, Lou Reed? Joni Mitchell half the time? But definitely doing her own thing.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, McLoofus said:

Just found this thread. Love Turnpike Troubadours, discovered them a year or so ago (late to the game….again). All their albums are good but I really like the self titled one; love the song “The Bird Hunters”: subject matter I can relate to- hunting and getting dumped by a girl

Edited by fredst
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

Just found this thread. Love Turnpike Troubadours, discovered them a year or so ago (late to the game….again). All their albums are good but I really like the self titled one; love the song “The Bird Hunters”: subject matter I can relate to- hunting and getting dumped by a girl

Welcome, friend. There's plenty of bourbon.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Welcome, friend. There's plenty of bourbon.

Thanks. I am going to refrain from posting on the other boards but will haunt some of the “fun” boards like this and the Beer/Spirits club. Like much of the internet I find the sports boards bringing out the worst in me, to the point of convincing myself that I don’t like people I’ve never even met and typing things I’d never (hopefully) say to someone’s face. The ugliness on the football board just makes me feel bad about myself the way it gets me going. But, I love all you guys knowledge on music, beer, and many other things so hopefully I can lurk around some of these places without wearing out my welcome. Cheers!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fredst said:

Thanks. I am going to refrain from posting on the other boards but will haunt some of the “fun” boards like this and the Beer/Spirits club. Like much of the internet I find the sports boards bringing out the worst in me, to the point of convincing myself that I don’t like people I’ve never even met and typing things I’d never (hopefully) say to someone’s face. The ugliness on the football board just makes me feel bad about myself the way it gets me going. But, I love all you guys knowledge on music, beer, and many other things so hopefully I can lurk around some of these places without wearing out my welcome. Cheers!

You can say it to my face, man. I can take it.

I've spent a decent amount of time trying to understand why I do it. Haven't quite got it sorted yet. But one thing I do know is that people choose to present themselves a certain way here and many of us have established a persona. We might be a fully realized human being out in the world, but we are in *this* community what we are in this community and everyone else only has that to go on. So we either engage on that or we don't engage at all, I guess.

But yes. This thread, like the other common interest threads, is mercifully free of the nonsense. I think those of us that are more given to it in the football and political threads are careful not to bring it here. I'm not sure I've even seen somebody's musical contribution criticized here. Truly all flavors are welcomed. I look forward to finding out more about what yours are!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You can say it to my face, man. I can take it.

I've spent a decent amount of time trying to understand why I do it. Haven't quite got it sorted yet. But one thing I do know is that people choose to present themselves a certain way here and many of us have established a persona. We might be a fully realized human being out in the world, but we are in *this* community what we are in this community and everyone else only has that to go on. So we either engage on that or we don't engage at all, I guess.

But yes. This thread, like the other common interest threads, is mercifully free of the nonsense. I think those of us that are more given to it in the football and political threads are careful not to bring it here. I'm not sure I've even seen somebody's musical contribution criticized here. Truly all flavors are welcomed. I look forward to finding out more about what yours are!

Yeah. I get it. I think I’m a heckuva lot more likeable in here than at work for sure, lol (ask anybody at the hospital, they will confirm). I think COVID has affected my mental health more than I’ve admitted over the past 18 months. And, my best friend of 35+ years took his own life -6 weeks ago and I’ve really struggled coming to grips with that and what it meant for me. Coming here and getting involved in a bunch of nasty interactions with anonymous people was not helping.

Now that I’ve laid that on y’all, lol…..

Just got through with some listens of Kacey Musgraves new album. Love her music. Was on her stuff very early before she hit big and have enjoyed seeing her evolution musically and as a lyricist. If you like her stuff at all it’s worth a listen 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah. I get it. I think I’m a heckuva lot more likeable in here than at work for sure, lol (ask anybody at the hospital, they will confirm). I think COVID has affected my mental health more than I’ve admitted over the past 18 months. And, my best friend of 35+ years took his own life -6 weeks ago and I’ve really struggled coming to grips with that and what it meant for me. Coming here and getting involved in a bunch of nasty interactions with anonymous people was not helping.

Now that I’ve laid that on y’all, lol…..

Just got through with some listens of Kacey Musgraves new album. Love her music. Was on her stuff very early before she hit big and have enjoyed seeing her evolution musically and as a lyricist. If you like her stuff at all it’s worth a listen 

Buddy, I am so sorry to hear that about your friend. And the other weight you're carrying.  I have so many questions but I don't know if I'm the one to ask them or have them answered. But I'll tell ya what. This is a good place for that, too. Glad you said something. You haven't let on, to be honest. That one recent back and forth was honestly a little surprising, though. Not that you feel that way about that person, or felt like saying those things- you're totally right- but that you actually did say it. Anyway. I like to think that you, I, and a couple others here have more in common than just being alcoholics with similar musical and sports leanings. And I'm prepared to have real conversations with all of you. 

We lost a great contributor to this particular thread a couple years ago. Not sure if you ever knew Telling Tiger, but he was truly one of a kind. A musical encyclopedia but also just a really, really deep and interesting dude. He and I struck up a really great friendship on here. He helped me through some rough times and honestly opened me up to the idea of developing real friendships in a place like this. I think maybe I try to honor him a little by being more available and open here. So... brother... lay it on us. 

Kacey Musgraves is just fantastic. I was not on her stuff early but have been paying attention for a few years now. She does not GAF and that is a great start for any artist. I love that Margo Price is still trucking, too. My buddy saw her last night and said she rocked it. Said the band is really tight. He was there for the Outlaw tour thing with Sturgill, Gov't Mule and Willy. Evidently Sturgill canceled last minute because of vocal chord concerns. Hope he's okay. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Sincerely. I’m open to thinking of real friendship on here. The invites I’ve put out in other threads for stopping by for a drink or a visit if folks happen to be in my area have been genuine as well, even if they seemed tongue-in-cheek. As for the interact with that other poster…I meant what I said but wished I hadn’t said it. Her arrogant condescension about *every* topic wears my ass out- baseball, football, public health, mental health, linguistics, the inner workings of the UA athletic department- she’s a f’ing expert on everything. I’m waiting for her to give me the inside scoop on Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, and the shooter on the grassy knoll. And…..I hope she not a close friend of yours, lol. 
Back to music: also recently rewatched “It Might Get Loud” (great documentary)and as a result have been listening heavily to Led Zeppelin again. Man, if there are better albums than LZ 2 and especially LZ 4 I don’t know what they are

• Love 2

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Thanks. Sincerely. I’m open to thinking of real friendship on here. The invites I’ve put out in other threads for stopping by for a drink or a visit if folks happen to be in my area have been genuine as well, even if they seemed tongue-in-cheek. As for the interact with that other poster…I meant what I said but wished I hadn’t said it. Her arrogant condescension about *every* topic wears my ass out- baseball, football, public health, mental health, linguistics, the inner workings of the UA athletic department- she’s a f’ing expert on everything. I’m waiting for her to give me the inside scoop on Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, and the shooter on the grassy knoll. And…..I hope she not a close friend of yours, lol. 
Back to music: also recently rewatched “It Might Get Loud” (great documentary)and as a result have been listening heavily to Led Zeppelin again. Man, if there are better albums than LZ 2 and especially LZ 4 I don’t know what they are

She sucks so much. You're not wrong about any of it.

Can you believe I haven't seen that yet???

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

She sucks so much. You're not wrong about any of it.

Can you believe I haven't seen that yet???

Wait, what?! A music lover like you?! It is soooo interesting. More impressed with The Edge after my most recent watch, still think Jack White is phenomenally talented but weird as all hell, but Jimmy Page….man, that guy is so talented and just seems like a guy I’d love to sit and hear talk about music for days. Seriously, do yourself a favor and watch it ASAP, you will not be sorry

• Thanks 1