How hot is Sumlin's seat now?

lionheartkc

Some kind of team culture issue, imo......We'll never know and if someone does spill the Aggie beans, it will be with their spin. Truth is an elusive creature.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn has had better recruiting classes than Sumlin (actually, better than most schools nationally) and has had a worse record than A&M. Sumlin and Malzahn seem to be on a similar flight path. Personally, I'd rather see A&M go down in flames than Auburn. But then, I'm kinda biased.

:wareagle:

Auburn has had better recruiting classes than Sumlin (actually, better than most schools nationally) and has had a worse record than A&M. Sumlin and Malzahn seem to be on a similar flight path. Personally, I'd rather see A&M go down in flames than Auburn. But then, I'm kinda biased.

:wareagle:

flite path?; maybe but perhaps I missed the aggies two trips to the championship.....I'll go back and check again.

Meanwhile the recruiting ratings are about the same....about the middle of the SEC for both teams the last few years.

A&M stumps me. I feel like they have all the tools for a big season but given stories like this, who knows. Maybe it's because the only game I watched Knight was that Sugar Bowl but he along with their receivers and DL concern me.

As far as QBs go, the main reason I'm concerned about SW isn't necessarily because of last year, it's because Arkansas appears to be the only other team in the west that relies on a non-DTQB. Sean's certainly more talented than Trotter and Moseley were (he was ranked 111 overall on Rivals). But I hope the game hasn't moved past strictly pocket passer QBs.

Either way, Gus needs to make sure he tweaks the offense to center on White's strengths. With the receiver class we just got, he has the ability to.

Regardless of how SW does, I'm concerned about whether WB will get here

We have some obvious issues, but UT has literal University legal issues involving the coach and athletic department. Ole Sis has some NCAA issues headed their way at a minimum...As usual, uaT will get lost in the shuffle...be really nice for equitable enforcement.

I know this is a little off the subject; but I wonder if Saban leaked the story about his DL coach by design? In that, he picked the timing of the press release so he would get lost in the shuffle. The 4 Auburn players being arrested was just icing on the cake. Naw, he couldn't be that smart, could he?

Saban has nothing to do with it and doesn't need to have anything to do with it. He has legions of inbred, ravenous, connected fans who jump into action the second that anything negative comes out against bama. I have no doubt at all that the guy who hacked Tunsil's accounts was a bama guy, and it was entirely to overshadow the bama news. My tinfoil hat isn't quite big enough to believe bama has Auburn police in their pocket, re: the drug bust, however. I think that was just bad luck on our part and good on theirs.

One thing about Sumlin....he's sure in the process of turning lemonade into lemons.

How can a guy with a 100,000+ seat stadium, a huge student body of rabid fans, all the money in the world apparently and a school located in the midst of a thousand Div 1 quality players.......and yet in just a few years he has created the mess that is facing TAMU now?

It's easy... he has the wrong attitude and no clue how to deal with young, egotistical football players. His driving force is to win at all costs. That's why he allows his star players to do whatever they want, has no issue with shooting a hurt player full of pain-killers to keep them on the field, and encourages questionable sportsmanship on the field. He also lives and dies by players with a lot of natural talent. No clue what he promises to get them (though I'm sure he was riding the Johnny football wave for a while), but once he does get them, he has no clue how to handle them, so he lets them run wild and concentrates on damage control, instead of teaching them to be men (see Johnny Football's current implosion, as well as comments from his two defecting QBs).

Sumlin is the worst kind of coach. He's the stereotypical "biggest rival" coach from every football movie. Not afraid to cheat to win, encourages his players to injure the other team, etc. I have 0 respect for him.

As to whether A&M is better or worse than Ole Miss/Tennessee... Tennessee is worse, right now, as long as it's true that Butch covered up sexual assault. Ol Miss isn't as bad. Yea, they cheated, but no one was getting hurt...

Boy you would actually think some of you know sumlin....And where is all this unreal talent that a&m signed cuz I missed it

Boy you would actually think some of you know sumlin....And where is all this unreal talent that a&m signed cuz I missed it

Until this year, A&M has been cornering the market on top rated QBs and receivers. 3 5-star QBs and 2 5-star WRs, plus a handful of 4-stars to back them up. Heck... in 2015 he signed 2 5-star QBs in one class. That's been Sumlin's bread and butter... until he lost control.

^^ It may be "sad" that we haven't developed it, but it's very good that we've recruited well. If you have underdeveloped and underachieving talent, it means that it's a very fixable problem. If you have talent issues, then you have to do something to change recruiting, which can be a very binding thing. I certainly wouldn't have believed you if you had told me when Chiz got here that our recruiting would rank as highly as it has.

^^ It may be "sad" that we haven't developed it, but it's very good that we've recruited well. If you have underdeveloped and underachieving talent, it means that it's a very fixable problem. If you have talent issues, then you have to do sketching to change recruiting, which can be a very binding thing. I certainly wouldn't have believed you if you had told me when Chiz got here that our recruiting would rank as highly as it has.

Other than for the national title (obviously), we should be very thankful towards Chiz for catapulting AU into the top tier in regards to recruiting. It makes me wonder if Tubs didn't understand what he had in AU.

^^ It may be "sad" that we haven't developed it, but it's very good that we've recruited well. If you have underdeveloped and underachieving talent, it means that it's a very fixable problem. If you have talent issues, then you have to do sketching to change recruiting, which can be a very binding thing. I certainly wouldn't have believed you if you had told me when Chiz got here that our recruiting would rank as highly as it has.

Other than for the national title (obviously), we should be very thankful towards Chiz for catapulting AU into the top tier in regards to recruiting. It makes me wonder if Tubs didn't understand what he had in AU.

He was too busy duck hunting to worry about recruiting.

Tubs didn't understand what the hiring of Saban was going to do to this division. Tubs was great at developing the 3*'s, teaching them fundamentals and by the time they were upperclassmen he had them playing at 4-5* levels.

Tubs was excessively loyal to some of his staffers, but he had no clue that NS would send the recruiting trail a blaze like he did. I remember many AU fans (myself included) that laughed our asses off at uat and called them "star gazers", we said we'd take Tubs because he could take a diamond in the rough and win with them while Saban was nothing more than a snake oil salesman that would never last longer than a couple of years at uat. In hind sight, boy was I wrong.

Tubs could really coach up the 3 stars there's no doubt about that. Imagine what he could've done with a team full of 4 and 5* players.

Tubs could really coach up the 3 stars there's no doubt about that. Imagine what he could've done with a team full of 4 and 5* players.

There's no way to know the answer to that question. It assumes the 3* players Tubba recruited and coaches up has the same attitude as today's ESPN spotlight generation of HS prospects.

There's no way to know the answer to that question. It assumes the 3* players Tubba recruited and coaches up has the same attitude as today's ESPN spotlight generation of HS prospects.

Good point. Attitude is definitely a difference maker.

• 3 weeks later...

I love tubbs but he was lazy about recruiting.

and he quit on Auburn.

I think there were other things going on in his life. He had to step away. THE 2010 BSC Team was full of players he recruited.

I also think he was fully aware of what Saban coming back would mean. Saban had several years at LSU in the West division.

I don't think Tubs was naive to what Saban was bringing to Tuscaloosa, but I don't think anyone could've imagined this type of tear he's been on. I mean even at LSU he wasn't as dominant as this and that program gets 98% of the players they want out of Louisiana -- which is one of the top talent per capita states in the nation if I recall correctly.

Archived