Schedule 2005?

lcau

After this year it should be a athletic department policy that we never, ever play a  1-aa school again.  It never has been a good idea and it never will be...First off it is not a great game for the season ticket holders...it kinda sucks to pay that much money and have half the games be throw-ins...

2nd it just invites criticism of the conference and the school....when there are dozens of bowling greens and new mexico states and north texas's and wyomings out there...there are plenty of other options for easy games that don't kill the strength of schedule ratings.

Thats a great policy to have, but the reality is that it wouldnt matter. The fact is, you are going to have teams back out, sometimes even at the last minute- too late to be able to pick up a quality opponent. It has happened to us 3 years in a row, I think. In fact, I think we had 2 teams in one year back out, Bowling Green being one of them.

As far as SOS goes, most ratings systems add your 1-AA opponents LOSSES to your SOS, but not their WINS. So even if you play an undefeated 1-AA opponent and win, and they finish having only that one loss, you get penalized for the loss that YOU GAVE THEM, having them added to your SOS as 0-1. Its crappy, but thats the way it is.

If any of those teams mentioned above needs an 11th game, then I say go after one of them, even if it means giving them a return trip somewhere down the line. None of them excite me, but all of them are a better option than playing a 1-AA team.

Okay, I've done some analysis on the information that is available. (Check http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college...dules/index.htm for 2005 schedules).

Here are the Div. I-A teams with an opening that might be interested:

ARKANSAS STATE

FLORIDA ATLANTIC

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

FRESNO STATE

HOUSTON

KANSAS

LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE

MEMPHIS

NORTH TEXAS

RUTGERS

TOLEDO

TULANE

TULSA

WESTERN MICHIGAN

Here are the Div. I-A teams with an opening that probably wouldn't be interested:

BUFFALO

BYU

COLORADO STATE

CONNECTICUT

KANSAS STATE

KENT STATE

LOUISVILLE

NEVADA

NORTH CAROLINA STATE

PITTSBURGH

SYRACUSE

UAB

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON STATE

The teams listed as probably not interested already have games scheduled with at least 2 top 40 non-conference teams on the road and are probably looking for a home game against a lower division opponent.

I think the most likely Div I-A opponents to fill the date are ARKANSAS STATE, FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL, and LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE. I think the teams Auburn would benefit the most from beating are FRESNO STATE, TOLEDO, and RUTGERS. FRESNO likes a challenge and I think they would come if invited. If the Tigers have to go with a home-home series, then TULANE would be great. I think games against FRESNO, TOLEDO, RUTGERS, and TULANE have TV potential.

Okay, I've done some analysis on the information that is available. (Check http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college...dules/index.htm for 2005 schedules).

Here are the Div. I-A teams with an opening that might be interested:

ARKANSAS STATE

FLORIDA ATLANTIC

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

FRESNO STATE

HOUSTON

KANSAS

LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE

MEMPHIS

NORTH TEXAS

RUTGERS

TOLEDO

TULANE

TULSA

WESTERN MICHIGAN

Here are the Div. I-A teams with an opening that probably wouldn't be interested:

BUFFALO

BYU

COLORADO STATE

CONNECTICUT

KANSAS STATE

KENT STATE

LOUISVILLE

NEVADA

NORTH CAROLINA STATE

PITTSBURGH

SYRACUSE

UAB

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON STATE

The teams listed as probably not interested already have games scheduled with at least 2 top 40 non-conference teams on the road and are probably looking for a home game against a lower division opponent.

I think the most likely Div I-A opponents to fill the date are ARKANSAS STATE, FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL, and LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE. I think the teams Auburn would benefit the most from beating are FRESNO STATE, TOLEDO, and RUTGERS. FRESNO likes a challenge and I think they would come if invited. If the Tigers have to go with a home-home series, then TULANE would be great. I think games against FRESNO, TOLEDO, RUTGERS, and TULANE have TV potential.

138766[/snapback]

Out of those I-A teams we should try to get Wash St. to come down here. I would love for us to beat the crap out of a PAC-10 team. But Virginia or NC State might be even better. The we can whip up on some ACC folks. Doesn't matter we'll beat whoever. :au: will be good next year. Our passing game will be better than we have ever seen on the Plains. With McNeil back we will have a solid OL, and of course our WR corps is going to better than any. We will easily be able to go 5 wide, crap maybe even 6 wide, for Cox to sling it down field!!!

I'm all for any BCS team.

Kansas,Kansas St. ,Rutgers,

But realistically, we could probably snag Rutgers

If we end up with a mid major, I hope it's Toledo or North Texas or Memphis

S. Miss was exactly what we were looking for for an SOS non conference boost

alright I just sent an e-mail containing all the schools that are available to play us on sept 24 to tubs, jay jacobs, ed, and housel.

hopefully they'll look at it :blink:

Archived