If Chizik leaves, who do we get??

TigerDevil

If Chizik leaves who do we get? I would have gone after Tyrone Nix at So. Miss, but Steve Spurrier got him. The guy at Troy, Vic Koenning, but NC State got him. So who is left. I say go after an NFL guy. Auburn gave Chizik $300,000/yr, I don't think most schools are willing to pay an assistant that much. I think CTT has a proven record of bringing in top notch assistants, Petrino, Chizik and Borges to name a few.

I will be just as puzzled over Gene Chizik "going pro" as I would have been had Anthony Mix declared himself eligible for the draft.

Unless he just has the absolute obsession with coaching in the NFL I think he will stay at Auburn. He knows the type of defense we will have next year and with the offense supposedly not being as productive he should know his stock will only rise.

To take a position assistant job just to be in the NFL seems similar to a lateral move on the coaching food chain. Since we know AU can make the money comparable I've got my fingers crossed that GC follows MM and AM by declaring his loyalty to Auburn(for at least one more season, anyway)

Opelika/Auburn News reporting CG has interviewed with the Univ. of Texas.??? I think that is crazy to move from Auburn to Texas for the same position. NFL job I could see him being interested in. He is from Florrida. I do hope he stays.

Opelika/Auburn News reporting CG has interviewed with the Univ. of Texas.???  I think that is crazy to move from Auburn to Texas for the same position.  NFL job I could see him being interested in.  He is from Florrida.  I do hope he stays.

138584[/snapback]

Ditto.... I just can't see making a lateral move to Texas.... :au::homer:

1) I don't think Texas was anything but a case of "What have I got to lose by listening?". Plus, it strengthens his bargaining postion with others--AU or the Jags. I don't see him making a lateral move and I don't think any college can outbid Auburn.

2) Pros? ...maybe, but it won't be for the money.

3) This is all premature speculation, IMHO--I really don't expect him to leave Auburn for anything less than a head coaching job.

4) I'm not even thinking about his replacement yet because I don't expect him to leave. However, should that happen, I'm also not worried because CTT is always going to see that we have a good defense. He's no defensive slouch, himself. Remember: Three MNC's while coaching defense at Miami!

i see him playing ole eddie-boy like a fiddle for a bigger raise.....give it to him eddie, we will not get a DC anywhere as good as gene.....eddie-boy ain't real bright,but he ain't a damn fool,either.....hey, i forgot.....we have an AD,now.......

I hope he stays, and I think he will. I believe that he is just shopping his name around and listening to offers. He is a hot DC now and it is his time to strike. I think he is posturing for future HC jobs. As much as I hate to say it , Texas has more national exposure than AU and is a higher profile program. They just sent 2 coaches on that staff to HC jobs. So I do not fault him for listening to Texas. :au:

He will get a two year contract worth $290,000/year to stay at Auburn. Texas was paying their DC $205,000 but will most likely up the ante. I see Chizick staying at Auburn.

IS MUSCHCAMP AVAILABLE?.....i just hope chizik stays......he is so much like bill oliver that i can't believe it.....but, brother bill taught him at clemson and it shows

138572[/snapback]

Muschamp has gone to the Dolphins with Saban. But who knows if he might not make another move.

I just threw those two names in because they are both very good. :big:

Texas? Why leave for Texas?

138664[/snapback]

Other than Oklahoma and Texas Tech, offensively the Big 12 sucks (look at what Tenn's porus defense did to A&M). He could put together a defense there would probably have teams averaging less than 3 points a game...

Hope Coach C STAYS, but, I am certain Coach Tuberville has many-many options.

:D:au:

GEAUX TIGERS has the gayest fight song lyrics of any fight song I have ever heard of....including BAMA which I didn't think was possible.....

.....you've got the know how????

.....make Mike the Tiger stand up and roar????

wow, I love WAR EAGLE more and more everyday.

Auburn is so cool.

may i ask you a question,mr. ferguson?......why do you call yourself turd?.....i know what a turd is and others may refer to me as one,but i really don't think i would call myself one.....is that a nickname or a given?....somehow, i just don't think your mama would name you turd (unless you were a bammerboob and there is no way that she would know that)....is your head shjaped like one?....i'm not trying to be ugly about it or make fun of you,but i'll bet you hated rollcall didn't you?.....i mean no harm or disrepect toward you since you are a fellow AU man.....if you were a bammerboob,though, you would hate me in your dreams with a name like turd

may i ask you a question,mr. ferguson?......why do you call yourself turd?.....i know what a turd is and others may refer to me as one,but i really don't think i would call myself one.....is that a nickname or a given?....somehow, i just don't think your mama would name you turd (unless you were a bammerboob and there is no way that she would know that)....is your head shjaped like one?....i'm not trying to be ugly about it or make fun of you,but i'll bet you hated rollcall didn't you?.....i mean no harm or disrepect toward you since you are a fellow AU man.....if you were a bammerboob,though, you would hate me in your dreams with a name like turd

138711[/snapback]

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure he got the name off of a SNL skit. It was a Celebrity Jeopardy skit where Norm McDonald played Burt Reynolds, and during the course of the game he changed his name to "Turd Ferguson" because he thought it was funny.

"Turd Ferguson, its a funny name" :lol:

And to make this post somewhat relevant to the topic, I don't think Chizik is going anywhere, at least this year. He'll be a great HC in the future, though.

1. Being defensive coordinator for Tubberville is like being offensive coordinator for spurrier. AU's DC could be, say, Mike shula and we'd still have a terrific defense, just because the man in charge (CTT that is) has a rare defensive mind and wouldn't let things go too far astray defensively.

2. Re: the Texas position, consider the Mack Brown angle. Tubbs is probably secure for at least a few years on the AU talent alone. If Chizik aspires to be HC at a major program, Texas might be perfect...if MB doesn't win big...soon...he's gone and if you happen to be the popular DC when Brown gets sacked, well...you're a viable candidate for HC.

3. This annual discussion of which coach is leaving/staying at AU is keeping our recruiting from skyrocketing to what it could be. If I'm a bluechip LB and Chizik is visiting me, I want to know if he's staying or going. AU should use point #1 above to counter recruit concerns re: chizik statying or not.

Dave Campo's name has popped up. He's the former DC for the Hurricanes, former DC for the Dallas Cowboys and former HFC at Dallas.

He wasn't much of a HFC but one heck of a DC. Tuberville has ties to Camp from their Hurricane days.

i would imagine he'd be on the list. i am afraid however that pitt's DC would still be on tubby's list (rhodes is the guy's name i think). he was absolutely awful for pitt this year, but we offered him the job once who says we wouldn't again?

i'm just hoping this is all academic and chizik stays to put it to rest.

I think I would like campo. He's got a lot of knowledge. If I'm not mistaken he had some pretty good defenses when he was hc at dallas, but they had no offense.

Archived