QB Devin Adams

Auburn4Winners

First, let me just go ahead and say that I am happy Devin is on the roster. More competition can do nothing but help, and I wish him the best, especially considering he is here on his own dime (and believe me, I know how expensive that is).

After watching his highlights though, here are a few things I noticed:

• Big QB. Seems to have similar size to JJ
  • Definitely a pocket passer. Doesn't have elite speed or elusiveness, though does seem to have pretty good pocket presence.
  • Has above average arm strength, but lacks polished mechanics. There is one throw that he performed without setting his base, and still threw the ball 50 yards. Impressive, but not advisable.
  • Biggest issue I see is the same thing that I saw with JJ last year - Devin has issues staring down receivers and throwing into coverage. Most of the plays that I watched, he never took his eyes off of his primary target. He also threw to that target, despite them being covered. The throws in his highlights worked, yes, but I do not see that style of play working in the SEC, especially if the defense isn't super concerned about his running ability.

With all of that said, I do think that Devin will be a valuable asset to AU, if nothing else to replace Tucker Tuberville as scout team QB. Tucker's greatest strength (as mentioned several times by the coaching staff) was his ability to study an opposing QB and imitate their playing style. It will be interesting to see how Devin can fit into that role.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, let me just go ahead and say that I am happy Devin is on the roster. More competition can do nothing but help, and I wish him the best, especially considering he is here on his own dime (and believe me, I know how expensive that is).

• Definitely a pocket passer. Doesn't have elite speed or elusiveness, though does seem to have pretty good pocket presence.
  • Has above average arm strength, but lacks polished mechanics. There is one throw that he performed without setting his base, and still threw the ball 50 yards. Impressive, but not advisable.
  • Biggest issue I see is the same thing that I saw with JJ last year - Devin has issues staring down receivers and throwing into coverage. Most of the plays that I watched, he never took his eyes off of his primary target. He also threw to that target, despite them being covered. The throws in his highlights worked, yes, but I do not see that style of play working in the SEC, especially if the defense isn't super concerned about his running ability.

With all of that said, I do think that Devin will be a valuable asset to AU, if nothing else to replace Tucker Tuberville as scout team QB. Tucker's greatest strength (as mentioned several times by the coaching staff) was his ability to study an opposing QB and imitate their playing style. It will be interesting to see how Devin can fit into that role.

I agree with everything you said, one big thing stands out to me between him and JJ. He makes a decision and goes. JJ ran well when the play was designed to run unlike what many said he was not afraid of contact. The issue I had with JJ was that when it was not a planned run he was tentative and didn't just takeoff. It is one thing to buy time in the pocket so that you can throw but once you have started to run you need to go. That said this kid was playing against smaller HS defenders JJ may have been just as decisive in HS.

As to staring down receivers that can sometimes be coached out of a player. I hope he is the type of player who is coachable and can break bad habits. But like many have said he will be an excellent Scout team QB so he will be an asset even if he never plays in a real game.

H's already half again as big as JF3 base on the pix from spring training. Whatever plan they had JF3 on to beef him up looks to have failed.

That's a pretty big statement about a guy who's only been on the roster for 2 months. Give it time.

H's already half again as big as JF3 base on the pix from spring training. Whatever plan they had JF3 on to beef him up looks to have failed.

That's a pretty big statement about a guy who's only been on the roster for 2 months. Give it time.

maybe...but I can gain 10 pounds over Thanksgiving

I agree with everything you said, one big thing stands out to me between him and JJ. He makes a decision and goes. JJ ran well when the play was designed to run unlike what many said he was not afraid of contact. The issue I had with JJ was that when it was not a planned run he was tentative and didn't just takeoff. It is one thing to buy time in the pocket so that you can throw but once you have started to run you need to go. That said this kid was playing against smaller HS defenders JJ may have been just as decisive in HS.

As to staring down receivers that can sometimes be coached out of a player. I hope he is the type of player who is coachable and can break bad habits. But like many have said he will be an excellent Scout team QB so he will be an asset even if he never plays in a real game.

The thing I would question with this is 1. is he making a decision (i.e. read) or is it a predetermined throw? and 2. that "makes a decision and goes" can go both ways. Yes, it can and will lead to less hesitation from the QB, but if a read is wrong, it doesn't matter how quickly he makes that decision. If I throw an out route against a Cover 2 zone D, I'm going to have a bad time regardless of whether I throw it right when the WR makes his cut or right before he goes out of bounds. Any way you slice it, the DB (if he's in position) will be between the ball and the receiver.

He's a Bang A Gong QB

:dunno:

Read some of the lyrics you may get it but I doubt it

Well, you're built like a car

You got a hubcap diamond star halo

You're built like a car, oh yeah

Well, you're an untamed youth

That's the truth, with your cloak full of eagles

He's a Bang A Gong QB

He's dirty sweet and he's your girl?

:big:

He's a Bang A Gong QB

He's dirty sweet and he's your girl?

:big:

You weren't suppose to post that part :cool:

I think this is the biggest problem, they only practiced to the number one read. Never went live. Never said this snap we are finding the 3rd or 4th option. It is like running the zone read and never going live with it, we didn't know what we had with either Cam or Nick until several games in because there was no contact. Their game changing ability was not proven until they actually went live and could show the ability to break tackles and hold onto the ball or not take a big hit.

I hope people don't start thinking we have another Cam on our hands. There's only 1 Cam and what an awesome ride that was.

The thing I would question with this is 1. is he making a decision (i.e. read) or is it a predetermined throw? and 2. that "makes a decision and goes" can go both ways. Yes, it can and will lead to less hesitation from the QB, but if a read is wrong, it doesn't matter how quickly he makes that decision. If I throw an out route against a Cover 2 zone D, I'm going to have a bad time regardless of whether I throw it right when the WR makes his cut or right before he goes out of bounds. Any way you slice it, the DB (if he's in position) will be between the ball and the receiver.

I was talking more about when a Pass play was called and QB didn't see an open receiver. On these types of plays when JJ ran it was like he was not sure if he should run and didn't commit to it. When it was a called QB run JJ ran and ran hard. It was on the pass plays where he decided to run that I think caused some people to think he was afraid of contact. Since I saw how hard he ran when it was a called play I never doubted his toughness.

More interest and articles written about a walk-on QB than I've ever seen. Of course, if we do have one or two transfers after spring as many of us suspect, Adams could indeed become a very important piece of the puzzle.

Archived