2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

Just checked in on the TAMU game and they are really going to be good....score is 35-35 and their offense is clicking.....unless you are bothered by fumbles and pass interceptions.....and a defense that can't seem to stop anyone.....but this sounds like the kind of game a lot of AU folks were hoping to see at Auburn today.

Been posts for a few weeks about our defense having a break-out season and then when the D plays pretty well....it's the fault of the QBs and the coaches.

With any luck the negative nancy's are gone until basketball season....

No such luck.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SW had a pretty deep pass early. JF3 had a pretty deep pass for a TD. JJ had a beautiful deep ball dropped late. Outside of that there was a lot to be desired of the three. Fall camp will tell the story. Thought the DL looked great. I feel sorry for the guys trying to block Carl Lawson.

Awesome post. Most objective post on qb play in this thread

SW had a pretty deep pass early. JF3 had a pretty deep pass for a TD. JJ had a beautiful deep ball dropped late. Outside of that there was a lot to be desired of the three. Fall camp will tell the story. Thought the DL looked great. I feel sorry for the guys trying to block Carl Lawson.

Did you think JFIII's TD pass was pretty? I thought it was ugly as hell, thrown up for grabs, and the receiver made a good adjustment. The prettiest ball thrown was the one by JJ that was dropped after the official distracted the receiver (lol).

Qbs look bad today... this season is not looking good... hope im wrong

It's a scrimmage and means NOTHING... A little perspective would go a long way with many posters here.

just going off what i saw today my statement is true. Sorry I don't have the luxury of seeing them in practice every day, with that being said this is the only perspective i have... i agree that there is a lot that can happen, and as a fan u hope it does, but if not its going to be an up hill battle with this schedule...... on the other hand i like what i saw from the defense..... but hey this is just one fans perspective

you were correct..... right now, i am already looking forward to basketball season....pearl is highly competent coach and he'll get it done this coming year.....my expectations for football?.....not much unless doublebubble and lash larue are replaced this summer....we have the same problems as we had last year on their side of the ball, and it will be compounded by the lack of quality OT's....ya'll better temper your expectations

I think 7-5 is a realistic ceiling . My expectations have been tempered since the TAMU game in 2014.

We can't keep replacing coaches though. Let's stick with Gus and maybe he'll catch lightning in a bottle again. If we fire him we'll wind up with yet another middle tier coach anyway. Until saban retires it won't matter who our coach is.

That line of thinking is the ultimate "little brother" mentality, and completely unacceptable. Even MSU has won 10 and 9 games the last two years. Saban or not, Updyke is one game on our schedule. We should NEVER go through or accept another Barfieldian stretch ever again. If Gus goes 6-6 this year, with the amount of seniors he has, he needs to go and let another guy take the reins. If we're not willing to get rid of Jacobs we have only ourselves to blame. Saban hasn't resulted in the other five west teams being cellar dwellers. Why should we be any different?

Here's the summary and bottom line. Gus and lashless are four years in and we won't even be an afterthought in any pre season rankings. If not for opening up with last years second place finisher we would not even get any discussion time. With what tools and dollars Gus has to work with including that ludicrous unearned salary we are paying lashless to be where we are is unacceptable. I question Gus ability to effectively recruit and coach a qb. When I say coach I mean develop. Minus Cam and Nick and what we have at Auburn is very ugly.

At least after today I am in no hurry for the season to start. Unlike last year.

Auburn hasn't had a decent QB that they've recruited out of high school since Brandon Cox. That's a long time through multiple head coaches.

Did you think JFIII's TD pass was pretty? I thought it was ugly as hell, thrown up for grabs, and the receiver made a good adjustment. The prettiest ball thrown was the one by JJ that was dropped after the official distracted the receiver (lol).

No it wasn't the best thrown ball but read the posts about all qb play in this thread....this right here sums up the day better than any post on here

Here's the summary and bottom line. Gus and lashless are four years in and we won't even be an afterthought in any pre season rankings. If not for opening up with last years second place finisher we would not even get any discussion time. With what tools and dollars Gus has to work with including that ludicrous unearned salary we are paying lashless to be where we are is unacceptable. I question Gus ability to effectively recruit and coach a qb. When I say coach I mean develop. Minus Cam and Nick and what we have at Auburn is very ugly.

At least after today I am in no hurry for the season to start. Unlike last year.

Auburn hasn't had a descent QB that they've recruited out of high school since Brandon Cox. That's a long time through multiple head coaches.

Descent.

words1.jpg

Today's play was very disappointing for multiple reasons. That's not being negative. That's a reality. 1 conversion out of over 20 attempts on 3rd down is just scary bad. There were no consistent drives. field goals instead of touchdowns and absolutely no rhythm. Why were there zero short range passes other then screens? why not leave a qb in with the same players to build consistency. It was like everytime the qb went out there he had a different surrounding cast. How does one build consistency off of that. I watched all 4 spring games today and by far we were the worst of the worst out there.

Today's play was very disappointing for multiple reasons. That's not being negative. That's a reality. 1 conversion out of over 20 attempts on 3rd down is just scary bad. There were no consistent drives. field goals instead of touchdowns and absolutely no rhythm. Why were there zero short range passes other then screens? why not leave a qb in with the same players to build consistency. It was like everytime the qb went out there he had a different surrounding cast. How does one build consistency off of that. I watched all 4 spring games today and by far we were the worst of the worst out there.

On offense, you mean ....

Now that the glorified scrimmage is out of the way the real coaching/work begins. I like where we are on defense and I'm not bailing on the offense just yet. Way too vanilla to get anything out of it on offense.

Beating Clemson starts now..........

I suppose if the offense had put 42 on the board the bitchfest would have pointed towards the defense.

Yep. Auburn fans never dissapoint.....or any fan for that matter. :)

Now that the glorified scrimmage is out of the way the real coaching/work begins. I like where we are on defense and I'm not bailing on the offense just yet. Way too vanilla to get anything out of it on offense.

+1

I agree. I am concerned, but Coach says he isn't, about 1 for 22 on 3rd Down Conversions. I know the plan was to stay vanilla with the offense so I did not expect to see a lot. I did expect to see us convert a few 3rd Downs though.

My takeaways:

DL looks pretty good and it's good to see them trying to get penetration.

LBs were flying around like I haven't seen in years.

DBs overall were good in coverage and run support.

OL had their hands full with the DL and LBs but they did pretty well.

I like the fact that we know the H-Backs can run the ball if needed. They all looked pretty good.

We know what the RBs can do so we didn't see a lot of them, which is fine by me.

WRs still have a ways to go. Coach Burns is doing well though.

No QB really stood out way above the others. If I had to pick a starter today it would be White.

The pace was outstanding. That was Auburn Fast!!

The glorified scrimmage was just enough to get me excited about the season. Too bad it is still 4-1/2 months to wait.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I agree. I am concerned, but Coach says he isn't, about 1 for 22 on 3rd Down Conversions. I know the plan was to stay vanilla with the offense so I did not expect to see a lot. I did expect to see us convert a few 3rd Downs though.

My takeaways:

DL looks pretty good and it's good to see them trying to get penetration.

LBs were flying around like I haven't seen in years.

DBs overall were good in coverage and run support.

OL had their hands full with the DL and LBs but they did pretty well.

I like the fact that we know the H-Backs can run the ball if needed. They all looked pretty good.

We know what the RBs can do so we didn't see a lot of them, which is fine by me.

WRs still have a ways to go. Coach Burns is doing well though.

No QB really stood out way above the others. If I had to pick a starter today it would be White.

The pace was outstanding. That was Auburn Fast!!

The glorified scrimmage was just enough to get me excited about the season. Too bad it is still 4-1/2 months to wait.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Potentially two of our best WRs weren't even playing today so I a, not really concerned about that too much.

A couple of things I liked from a personnel standpoint:

Really like having our H-backs more involved. I think we have some big talent there.

Roc lining up in the slot, I've been calling for that forever, he's too explosive to be on the sideline.

I don't understand what the people doing all of the complaining expected to see? We didn't suck, we are progressing, it was just a spring game....You thought we were winning the national spring trophy or something?

I don't understand what the people doing all of the complaining expected to see? We didn't suck, we are progressing, it was just a spring game....You thought we were winning the national spring trophy or something?

Amazing isn't it? I always feel better when the defense plays best in the Spring.

Pretty sure Bama will add another 'ship after their spring game, so ....

^^Despite me being far from a sunshine pumper, the 2010 A-Day was 21-17. So you may be right. I sure hope you are, especially in the case of A&M.

Same people that have been in meltdown mode since September. Spring games are for the fans and the university to make money. We learned that the defense is ahead of the offense, which is typical for a lot of schools in the spring.

Pretty sure Bama will add another 'ship after their spring game, so ....

Lol. I'm serious though, are people thinking we'd be a perfect team? It was reported the qb's haven't been the best this summer. Jf3 haven't even been here that long so you'd expect him to be learning....were we really expecting a qb to come out here and go 13-14 with 4 td's?

Archived