2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anybody notice that Jeff Holland was wearing #26 on some series and the commentators kept calling him John Broussard

I was wondering. I kept looking at the kid and thinking, "there's no way that guy is 5'11", 174 lbs" or whatever Broussard is.

Clemson score was 17-9 our score was 19-10. In both cases they ran vanilla offenses and mixed in all kinds of player combinations and Clemson feels good because their D played well and some of our fans are down because our O didn't light it up. If O didn't light it up then our D played well. We also saw three long runs by three different players Cox, Robinson, Pettaway and a some long passes.

Our D will get better and better as they play together as will our O. Allowing the QB's to be hit and to run will change the O. The Malzan offense needs the zone read to be effective by removing that play you change the whole offense. Everybody was talking about only converting 1 3rd down conversion over the years the zone read has been one of our better third down plays even when we didn't run it because teams were worried about it and it affects the scheme they set up in.

Will we have a great O next year. I don't know I am not a sunshine pumper but until I see the O running the real O against a real team with the zone read included and really run the QB I am not going to lose any sleep over the A-Day game but I will dream about those long runs by three different backs and some fine blocking by the H-Backs and Kozan clearing a path in the middle that others seemed to have missed because they were whining.

Clemson score was 17-9 our score was 19-10. In both cases they ran vanilla offenses and mixed in all kinds of player combinations and Clemson feels good because their D played well and some of our fans are down because our O didn't light it up. If O didn't light it up then our D played well. We also saw three long runs by three different players Cox, Robinson, Pettaway and a some long passes.

Our D will get better and better as they play together as will our O. Allowing the QB's to be hit and to run will change the O. The Malzan offense needs the zone read to be effective by removing that play you change the whole offense. Everybody was talking about only converting 1 3rd down conversion over the years the zone read has been one of our better third down plays even when we didn't run it because teams were worried about it and it affects the scheme they set up in.

Will we have a great O next year. I don't know I am not a sunshine pumper but until I see the O running the real O against a real team with the zone read included and really run the QB I am not going to lose any sleep over the A-Day game but I will dream about those long runs by three different backs and some fine blocking by the H-Backs and Kozan clearing a path in the middle that others seemed to have missed because they were whining.

No contact on the QBs allowed plays to end early. If there was a contact I expect our 3rd down conversion rate would be better as the down and distances would have changed there were times they blew the whistle and the defend was no way in position to make a play, with that said that means the O did better and the D did a bit worse. It was a solid showing across the board move on people geez

Noel Mazzone talking to his qb more in 1st ate more than lashless did all game. Coaching and development I'm beginning to believe is our issue.

I don't buy the we don't want to show too much theories. I'm pretty sure what we shows today was close to all we had.

Noel Mazzone has never in his long career fielded an offense as potent as Lashlee's AVERAGE at Auburn. Mazzone should be taking notes from Lashlee about how to run an offense.

You are correct. Fielded is the key word. That is about all lashless did with them and as put them

On the field.

I have a feeling you get mad at the floor for being underneath your feet.

Our fanbase is quickly becoming a bunch of whiners...or has it always been this way, and I failed to notice? If so, shame on me.

This is a recent thing.

Success breeds contempt.

And a**holes.

Did anybody notice that Jeff Holland was wearing #26 on some series and the commentators kept calling him John Broussard

That might explain why some announcer said he weighed 174 pounds and the guy had arms like Tre Mason.....I was pretty sure he weighed more than 174 or whatever he was listed at.

In general, nobody even knew who was playing most of the game...players shuffled in and out, the announcers had no idea other than the ball carriers most of the time....and how anyone could think that the "teams" we saw out there were even remotely representative of the guys who will start against Clemson ?

I was looking for a box score or something but I bet everyone who dressed out got into the game at some point. This was basically a publicity event...nothing more.

LMAO at all the armchair QBs on here. Here is a look at Cam and the 2010 A day game that was won 21 to 17 by the blue and Cam got rolled by the other QBs. He was 3 of 8 for 61 yards. The #1 rusher was a walk on. Best I can remember, I think that team went on to a 14-0 season and a national Title. Go figure. WDE

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/04/auburn_a-day_what_did_it_prove.html

LMAO at all the armchair QBs on here. Here is a look at Cam and the 2010 A day game that was won 21 to 17 by the blue and Cam got rolled by the other QBs. He was 3 of 8 for 61 yards. The #1 rusher was a walk on. Best I can remember, I think that team went on to a 14-0 season and a national Title. Go figure. WDE

http://blog.al.com/g...d_it_prove.html

I know, but some "Auburn fan" on another forum was terribly distressed because the Blue team didn't score 30. ;)

The A-Day game is truly meaningless. However; the fact that the O and play calling looked exactly like 2015 is a cause for concern as is the 1 for 20-something on third down. You can paint a pig as many colors as you want, but you still have a pig.

That being posted, all that matters is wins and losses when it counts, starting with Clemson. We will know quickly (after the 1st 5 games) if Gus is an O guru or not. I hope he is. Gus has all yes men (I am hoping this is not true...Herb Hand) as his O coaching staff.

Our D has more talent (except for the LB position) and is in a far better position to actually win games because of the work/transformation that Muschamp (and his D staff installed last season). Our DL is really stacked, if our DL does not improve this season, then RG needs to retire. Our DBs were coached up by TRob. McGriff is a very good recruiter, I hope he can coach them up like TRob. TWill as LB coach will turn out to be a better LB coach than Thompson. I just hope TWill can survive the possible backwash of a coaching change.

Wins are the only thing that matters when bullets are live.

wde

By the way A day is for the crowd. Definitely not going to get players hurt if they can help. No crossing patterns for receivers. Mostly long balls or short glorified run type passes. Gus was much more interested in tempo than results. Defense played with much more intensity than I have saw in previous A days. Even some extra activity after the play. You could see some emotions, not just walking through the process. I could see a blue collar mentality coming out of this group. H Back play will be instrumental in this years turn around. We will get a lot of those short yardage third down. Other than that and Carlson being all world at Kicker, there is not much else to take away. Biggest thing was that they all looked committed. WDE

If you want to truly understand the outcome of the game....read the stats.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2015-2016/aday2016.html#GAME.IND

Some guys playing for both teams.....QBs not always playing with the same offensive players, mix and match groups the entire day and the big 3 QBs played with both teams.

Blues rushed for 277 yards and averaged 10ypc and Whites ran for 84 yards and averaged 1.5 ypc.

I was wondering. I kept looking at the kid and thinking, "there's no way that guy is 5'11", 174 lbs" or whatever Broussard is.

This make alot of sense now. I kept looking at #26 and saying to myself, "Man, Broussard is HUGE and keeps lining up at DE, what's up with that?" Makes sense now if that was actually Holland in the #26 jersey.

http://blog.al.com/g...d_it_prove.html

I know, but some "Auburn fan" on another forum was terribly distressed because the Blue team didn't score 30. ;)

i thought neil caudle was the best that day.

What I saw:

1. Defense: Played very well except on a couple of busted plays (Cox on the 70 yard run), 2 pass plays one from White the other from JFIII. Defense should be solid next year. They were gang tackling, no real misses or arm tackles.

2. Offense:

QBs:

A. Sean White: definitely the most consistent. Great trajectory on the long balls, put four right on the

mark (one was dropped, the other deflected on a great defensive play).

B. John Frankiln: A couple of really bad passes, but you can tell how quick and deceptive he is.

Had a couple of good passes as well.

C. Jeremey Johnson: Overthrew quite a few passes, under threw others. Looked like the Jeremy of last

year.

RBs: Pretty vanilla with the exception of Cox and Pettway. Cox's speed was a big surprise. Roc

looked good in the slot and made a couple of nice moves. Jovan had a couple of nice runs, one

which was called back.

Receivers;

A. Marcus Davis: solid

B. Ryan Davis: Good

C. Stanton Truitt: Dropped one from White right in the numbers.

Special Teams:

Punting was OK, Of course Carlson was outstanding.

BIG FACTORS: Wind was really swirling..

I have to say the last time I left an A day game this unimpressed was probably 08 and the Franklin fiasco, it may have been a glorified scrimmage guys but it was pretty bad , the QB situation is not good.

I have to say the last time I left an A day game this unimpressed was probably 08 and the Franklin fiasco, it may have been a glorified scrimmage guys but it was pretty bad , the QB situation is not good.

careful it takes folks with great patience to spin 1-22....that was our problem last year and Lashless has no solution for it with this group of players either.

sure i get the no touch QB and glorified scrimmage comments but when you over throw under throw throw in to double coverage and stare down receivers at this level...well....not sure how much fixin you can do.

I will just patiently wait to Clemson to find out. and I mean patiently...

Noel Mazzone talking to his qb more in 1st ate more than lashless did all game. Coaching and development I'm beginning to believe is our issue.

I don't buy the we don't want to show too much theories. I'm pretty sure what we shows today was close to all we had.

Noel Mazzone has never in his long career fielded an offense as potent as Lashlee's AVERAGE at Auburn. Mazzone should be taking notes from Lashlee about how to run an offense.

You are correct. Fielded is the key word. That is about all lashless did with them and as put them

On the field.

I have a feeling you get mad at the floor for being underneath your feet.

wrong feeling then... it is called expectations...and when you have a man making the dollars lash is...we should all have them. If you don't or don't mind losing to LSU, Al, GA more than we win and now we are losing to Arky, Ole Miss and Miss, like I have said before....KY and Vandy is about all we have left we beat.

as an Auburn grad I expect more...it has nothing to do with the floor.

Bikeriderga are you related to SW? Just wondering. You seem to be on his bandwagon pretty strong. You did notice he had a couple of turnovers. Gus doesn't like turnovers. WDE

So let's say we have to get a new HC by year's end. I think one of '18 or '19 (hey, maybe both!) will set up for a run. If we're going to start Dampeer, Leff and Kozan this year, we need our '17 OL to be: something like: Horton-Carr-Kim-Smith-Golsen. If we constantly have a new OL we trap ourselves into years of rebuilding. I'm really hair trying to figure out when we're good again, and I think we have one more really good year (including a win over Turds) before the decade ends.

From the looks of this the defense is much better but we are no better at the QB position. Hopefully Franklin running the real zone read will work for us. If it doesn't we are in trouble.

I went and watched but haven't rewatched on DVR yet, but out of all the comments on spring break, I'd say this was the truest of anything we saw during the scrimmage. JJ is a non-sequitur at the position and SW is serviceable in this offensive scheme at best. Yeah, he could probably put up All-America stats at Baylor with Art Bryles, but, well.... :angry:

worse than Frazier/Wallace in 13?

Our fanbase is quickly becoming a bunch of whiners...or has it always been this way, and I failed to notice? If so, shame on me.

Our fanbase has always had "critic's" but it seems that more and more have lost faith in this staff. I really don't understand the microwave society that exists today. I think we all got spoiled that CGM got us to the 'ship so fast and are expecting the same results year in and year out.

I personally believe we are very close to being a very, very good team. We are building depth on defense (finally) and we are getting key players at skill positions (Wr, Rb and hopefully qb's). Rome wasn't built in a day so it would help lower blood pressure if we as a fan base would learn to practice patience from time to time. Stop over analyzing everything and enjoy life as an Auburn tiger! War Eagle everyone! See y'all in the fall.

Archived