2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

Just 4 reference......

Dabo Swinney saw everything he needed to see Saturday. Clemson’s Orange defeated the White 17-9 in front of a Clemson spring game record crowd of 50,500.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand what the people doing all of the complaining expected to see? We didn't suck, we are progressing, it was just a spring game....You thought we were winning the national spring trophy or something?

also +1

I don't understand what the people doing all of the complaining expected to see? We didn't suck, we are progressing, it was just a spring game....You thought we were winning the national spring trophy or something?

If you're not first you're last?

If you're not first you're last?

giphy.gif

Noel Mazzone talking to his qb more in 1st ate more than lashless did all game. Coaching and development I'm beginning to believe is our issue.

I don't buy the we don't want to show too much theories. I'm pretty sure what we shows today was close to all we had.

Noel Mazzone has never in his long career fielded an offense as potent as Lashlee's AVERAGE at Auburn. Mazzone should be taking notes from Lashlee about how to run an offense.

AU was 1-22 on 3rd downs

Whuch means AU held opposing offense to 1-22 on third downs.

LOL

What did y'all think about the way Roc was used?

Inam concerned that he won't be used much again this year. Wasn't he supposed to have gained some weight this year? Still looks like the same frail player.

He'll be fine.

I love how we pigeonhole players. It's great for us.

Noel Mazzone talking to his qb more in 1st ate more than lashless did all game. Coaching and development I'm beginning to believe is our issue.

I don't buy the we don't want to show too much theories. I'm pretty sure what we shows today was close to all we had.

Noel Mazzone has never in his long career fielded an offense as potent as Lashlee's AVERAGE at Auburn. Mazzone should be taking notes from Lashlee about how to run an offense.

You are correct. Fielded is the key word. That is about all lashless did with them and as put them

On the field.

I wish gus would let a real qb coach come in to get our qbs foot work and mechanics down..... jmho... alot of passes were either under or other thrown.

None of the quarterbacks have been particularly impressive

This. I'm not reading anything into it, but it will be entertaining for everyone to make their argument for their favorite guy that _______ should be QB because he did ______ during A-Day. :dunno:/>

Maybe it is more about who should NOT be starting QB.......

I was expecting to find one of Stats post-game statistical analyses today.....but alas he was smart enough to recognize that there was noting to analyze. There was no game plan, most of the running plays were by guys who will likely be on the bench for the season and JF3 was totally under wraps with the running game....as were SW and JJ so the Defense could totally ignore them without paying any penalty for doing such.

As for that oft quoted 1 out 22 on 3rd down.....did anyone even look at the 3rd down plays to determine if there was even an effort being made to achieve a first down? The offense on both sides looked like a random selection of plays drawn out of a hat....no matter what the down and distance involved.

In Summary: Roc looks like he can be a good pass receiver when needed, Jovon can tote the mail and our most versatile offensive player (KJ) did not suit up, nobody locked up the QB job ....and it looked to me that some guys who will be scout team this year got most of the playing time. All in all....a good A-Day game,....sunny weather, a few exciting plays and kids got to get some post-game autographs ......and nobody got hurt.

Does anybody think we still have a RB competition between Roc and Jovon? I don't. Jovon just looks the part while Roc looks like a great receiving option. A lot like the Henry and the Drake combination. Kerryon might have something to say about it but for right now I'm thinking Jovon is the clear cut starter.

I was expecting to find one of Stats post-game statistical analyses today.....but alas he was smart enough to recognize that there was noting to analyze. There was no game plan, most of the running plays were by guys who will likely be on the bench for the season and JF3 was totally under wraps with the running game....as were SW and JJ so the Defense could totally ignore them without paying any penalty for doing such.

As for that oft quoted 1 out 22 on 3rd down.....did anyone even look at the 3rd down plays to determine if there was even an effort being made to achieve a first down? The offense on both sides looked like a random selection of plays drawn out of a hat....no matter what the down and distance involved.

In Summary: Roc looks like he can be a good pass receiver when needed, Jovon can tote the mail and our most versatile offensive player (KJ) did not suit up, nobody locked up the QB job ....and it looked to me that some guys who will be scout team this year got most of the playing time. All in all....a good A-Day game,....sunny weather, a few exciting plays and kids got to get some post-game autographs ......and nobody got hurt.

It was a Spring game after all right?

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The good. The kicking game. Carlson is NFL ready. I thought Ian Shannon won the punting battle yesterday. His punts seemed to stay in the air longer and were more consistently long. Our D should be much improved. We are deep everywhere but LB.

The bad. We seem to take one step forward on offense, with an impressive run or throw, then we make a terrible mistake, like a fumble,nor a throw that should have been intercepted.

The ugly. Our QB situation reminds me of last year. It is just the spring game but we saw this just last year and it looks the same this comng year. I liked SW early, but he had a fumble turnover and then threw a pass that should have been intercepted. Our passing game overall does not seem to have much imagination. We are no Baylor when it comes to throwing the ball. CGM visited Baylor in the offseason, I guess he didn't learn a lot from that trip.

Additional thought. We have 2 true talented DT QB's on the way. I really wish Woody was here for this years spring. We would have had a chance. Gatewood looks to have the size and skill we need the problem is he is a 2018 recruit. If we play on offense like it looks like we may, then we might be looking for a new HC and staff. Gatewood most likely won't be here. I personally am tired of starting over at AU. I wish we were set on our HC for stability. Yesterday did not help with my confidence.

The good. The kicking game. Carlson is NFL ready. I thought Ian Shannon won the punting battle yesterday. His punts seemed to stay in the air longer and were more consistently long. Our D should be much improved. We are deep everywhere but LB.

The bad. We seem to take one step forward on offense, with an impressive run or throw, then we make a terrible mistake, like a fumble,nor a throw that should have been intercepted.

The ugly. Our QB situation reminds me of last year. It is just the spring game but we saw this just last year and it looks the same this comng year. I liked SW early, but he had a fumble turnover and then threw a pass that should have been intercepted. Our passing game overall does not seem to have much imagination. We are no Baylor when it comes to throwing the ball. CGM visited Baylor in the offseason, I guess he didn't learn a lot from that trip.

Additional thought. We have 2 true talented DT QB's on the way. I really wish Woody was here for this years spring. We would have had a chance. Gatewood looks to have the size and skill we need the problem is he is a 2018 recruit. If we play on offense like it looks like we may, then we might be looking for a new HC and staff. Gatewood most likely won't be here. I personally am tired of starting over at AU. I wish we were set on our HC for stability. Yesterday did not help with my confidence.

It was an A Day game...So....

Good analysis but I don't think it was the intent of Gus to show anything offensively. I mean, the H backs got more carries than Jovon and the passes were basically like we did on the playground....:you go long and I'll throw it to you"....and the windy days did not make even that plan a very good one.

The D looked good and for better or worse, our OL could not handle Adams and Lawson...which I'm hoping is the case for them D in coming season.

Rock got hurt again yesterday. Zero durability to be a tailback. He is a great reciever though. Excellent hands and can fly.

Does anybody think we still have a RB competition between Roc and Jovon? I don't. Jovon just looks the part while Roc looks like a great receiving option. A lot like the Henry and the Drake combination. Kerryon might have something to say about it but for right now I'm thinking Jovon is the clear cut starter.

the versatility from Roc and 27 and 36 will help us go fast more often. Roc might have been our best receiver yesterday

Good analysis but I don't think it was the intent of Gus to show anything offensively. I mean, the H backs got more carries than Jovon and the passes were basically like we did on the playground....:you go long and I'll throw it to you"....and the windy days did not make even that plan a very good one.

The D looked good and for better or worse, our OL could not handle Adams and Lawson...which I'm hoping is the case for them D in coming season.

IMO if we we only running vanilla passes, that is a mistake. Our offense was horrible last year and we all saw that. I think we needed to see some new stuff to get fans and the team excited for this year and on offense we did not. Funny if Gus did not intend to show us anything on offense when his job may be in jeopardy. All I can say is I was disappointed and frustrated and I think we have a right to be. Our schedule is wicked next year and we will need to be able to put up a lot of points to win games.

You guys that are on the ledge right now, do yall remember how phenomenal our offense looked in A Day last year? A day is not an indication of anything, obviously. Malzahn has been successful at Auburn when his QB's run the ball. They weren't allowed to do that today, so judging the offense is worthless.

I'm astounded that anyone expected the A Day game to be like a real football game these days. Key players were missing and the offense was split into two groups with 4 QBs....and did anyone even pay attention to who was playing.? That Adams kid got as much QB time as any of the "big 3" and nobody even noticed I guess. Folks that want to worry about stuff will always find something to justify their worries I guess....just hoping that the rest who actually give some thought to the issue will just cool down and wait until fall.....when practices really count for something. JMO

Unless JF3 makes a huge difference when he is allowed to run the real zone read with the threat of him running, it just doesn't look like the QB play is going to be much better than last year and that will be critical. He looks very small to be running much against SEC defenses so you would have to worry about his durability and he doesn't look like he is as good a passer as the other two. White still like looks like a better passer than JJ but JJ would be a more dangerous runner with his size. It just doesn't look like any of them has everything that is needed to effectively run the offense. I wish Woody had come in early and got his feet on the ground he might be the whole package but any time you are having to talk about the possibilities of a true freshman it ain't a good sign. On the other hand I think I he defense will be the best we have seen in many years.

Archived