2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

I don't think our Hbacks will get significant carries during the season. I don't think Gus has ever used HBacks as ball carriers.

That was one of the bright spots for me at A Day. I hope they get carries.

If you think in the 6 years that Gus has run Auburn's offense, he has even come close to exhausting his playbook, then you are seriously underestimating him. If there is a chance that a play can make a difference, and he feels like he has the right personnel to execute it, it will show up on the field.The fact that he ran them in the Spring should be a hint that he considers it an option... especially since both of them broke long runs.

I hope you're right however I think they were given carries because we didn't have as many bodies to fill the RB roles. No inside info just how I feel it'll shake out. I'd love to be wrong

I definitely don't agree with that. We lost 1 back last year and we're replacing him in the Fall. Running back is not some place where we are at any sort of disadvantage. I totally expect our 8th 1000 yard rusher in a row, with Robinson getting the honors this year. In fact, I expect him to be in the top 3-5 rushers in the SEC... if not better. My only concern at running back is that Roc is apparently still fragile.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think our Hbacks will get significant carries during the season. I don't think Gus has ever used HBacks as ball carriers.

If you think in the 6 years that Gus has run Auburn's offense, he has even come close to exhausting his playbook, then you are seriously underestimating him. If there is a chance that a play can make a difference, and he feels like he has the right personnel to execute it, it will show up on the field.The fact that he ran them in the Spring should be a hint that he considers it an option... especially since both of them broke long runs.

I hope you're right however I think they were given carries because we didn't have as many bodies to fill the RB roles. No inside info just how I feel it'll shake out. I'd love to be wrong

I definitely don't agree with that. We lost 1 back last year and we're replacing him in the Fall. Running back is not some place where we are at any sort of disadvantage. I totally expect our 8th 1000 yard rusher in a row, with Robinson getting the honors this year. In fact, I expect him to be in the top 3-5 rushers in the SEC... if not better. My only concern at running back is that Roc is apparently still fragile.

Roc may be used a little more in the passing game than he has been. That's a good thing IMO. I'd still like him to get 5+ carries/game to the outside. He has a lot of break away potential.

Roc may be used a little more in the passing game than he has been. That's a good thing IMO. I'd still like him to get 5+ carries/game to the outside. He has a lot of break away potential.

As long as he doesn't continue his tradition of leaving almost every game with an injury, I'm all for using him more. I read somewhere that he was hurt during the A-Day game.

As long as he doesn't continue his tradition of leaving almost every game with an injury, I'm all for using him more. I read somewhere that he was hurt during the A-Day game.

He looked a little gimpy after the TD catch. Maybe landed awkwardly on the ankle or something. Could have sworn I saw him in the game later though. I could be wrong.

I meant for the A-Day game -- we didn't have the bodies with KJ out. Maybe I should've said Gus wanted to limit the beating Robinson was going to take so he gave those carries to the HBacks. I've read they were practicing with the halfbacks because we were thin on numbers there this spring with only 2 guys who will see PT this season going through drills. I share your concern with Roc...he's never even had double digit carries in a game and somehow still manages to get hurt seemingly every other game.

Of course A-Day is not an absolute predictor of things to come.

In fact, it isn't even a moderate predictor of things to come.

Agree

We need to set up a screen with roc atleast twice every game. If roc can get some space and a couple linemen ahead of him to block he is a serious threat to score on both attempts. Having him in the slot positon will help set this play up with no substitutions to slow down the pace of play.

Nothing on the offense has changed from the last 2 years.

Didn't we play for the NC in 2013, or did I just dream that we did? :)/>

Math...not everyone's specialty :laugh:

So we have played three seasons since 2013? Did I somehow miss that third season?

Agree

True!

This was the worst A Day game I can remember since the 2010 Spring Game.

Agree

True!

That game was AWFUL. Our #1 quarterback couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He missed several easy passes in the end zone. There was no way that he would be ready to play in the Fall.

Agree

True!

That game was AWFUL. Our #1 quarterback couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He missed several easy passes in the end zone. There was no way that he would be ready to play in the Fall.

Very true. One might even go as far as to say that he "developed" nicely over the summer.

True!

Very true. One might even go as far as to say that he "developed" nicely over the summer.

I heard he annoyed the heck out of his receivers all summer, begging them to come throw with him. Smart kid.

Malik Miller was set to receive a lot of carries on A day but got banged up. KJ being out forced the HB to take a few more. But I do think we slip a few to the HB's this season, just to take the eyes off the RB a little.

Quarterbacks looked very average. Play calling was bland. The offense often had to rely on field goals as they were unable to punch it in. Third down conversions were abysmal. Thee are this we saw in abundance last season. Pointing out that this year's A-Day offense looked sloppy and noting the same ole struggles manifesting themselves does not make a poster a fair weather fan. It makes them a realist. Of course A-Day is not an absolute predictor of things to come. Bama looked terrible in their A-Day game last year and look how they turned out. It was however very disappointing to see zero offensive consistency and very little chemistry. I expected more out of the offense and am surprised that if the goal of a-day was to simulate play, that the coaches utilized such a bizarre rotation of players and play calling.

The goal of A-Day is to let the players get out there and have some fun in front of the fans, thus the "bizarre rotation" that included seeing players who might not leave the bench in the Fall. It's a show and little more. The real work happens when no one is allowed to watch.

Which bring me to the behind the scenes goal of A-Day, which is to not give your week 1 opponent any hints as to what they are going to see when you do take the field. Unless John really makes some serious progress over the Summer, I expect to see a very different playbook than what we've run for the past several years, and you can bet Gus wants it to be a surprise to Clemson.

Don't you know that too much common sense is not allowed here :no:

Found the full game on Youtube, was AWESOME seeing CJ Tolbert out there. All the Tolberts are big into football in Dadeville, so many of them in fact I'm not sure, but I think his dad (Chris Tolbert) was my S&C coach way back when. Though there might be 2-4 Chris Tolberts living there :lol:

Hoping he does well at AU :)

True!

I heard he annoyed the heck out of his receivers all summer, begging them to come throw with him. Smart kid.

I remember Newton throwing laser passes on the money to 3rd string receivers who couldn't adjust quick enough to pull them in. They were NFL throws into the end zone...he just had to realize who he was throwing to.

True!

I remember Newton throwing laser passes on the money to 3rd string receivers who couldn't adjust quick enough to pull them in. They were NFL throws into the end zone...he just had to realize who he was throwing to.

Receivers would have had to be 8 feet tall to bring down those passes Newton threw in the '10 A-Day game. He was horrible that day.

True!

Receivers would have had to be 8 feet tall to bring down those passes Newton threw in the '10 A-Day game. He was horrible that day.

Yep, Cam Newton in his Spring game was nothing to get excited about.

Pettway would be a guy id like to see pick up those 3rd and 1's... Complete bruiser!!!

JR is a beast though.

I agree!

Pettway was punishing potential tacklers like I haven't seen in a while. I would love to see him get some carries this year!

Pettway would be a guy id like to see pick up those 3rd and 1's... Complete bruiser!!!

JR is a beast though.

My understanding was that it was the plan, all along, to get Kam into the mix as a rusher.

I didn't read through all the posts to see if this was stated or not, but I was really excited about seeing Roc being used in the slot. He needs to be on the field as much as possible.

JR is a beast though.

My understanding was that it was the plan, all along, to get Kam into the mix as a rusher.

He will be use more this year running the ball.

I didn't read through all the posts to see if this was stated or not, but I was really excited about seeing Roc being used in the slot. He needs to be on the field as much as possible.

Roc will be used in many different ways.

Archived