2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick roster question from A-Day. There was a second #26 on defense, who only played in a Blue jersey. They said it was Broussard, but he played on the line subbing in for Russell on 3rd and long and gassed Lawson in the 2nd quarter for a series. Was that Tega? He had a couple of plays where he got up field REALLY fast. Plus there was no way this guy was 5'11" and 160+.

Quick roster question from A-Day. There was a second #26 on defense, who only played in a Blue jersey. They said it was Broussard, but he played on the line subbing in for Russell on 3rd and long and gassed Lawson in the 2nd quarter for a series. Was that Tega? He had a couple of plays where he got up field REALLY fast. Plus there was no way this guy was 5'11" and 160+.

Holland.

Holland.

The opelika/Auburn news article had a picture of holland (blue #26 as mentioned) with Broussards name below it too. I guess they watched the espn broadcast to write their article.

Broussard was white jersey #26.

Over the last week I've seen UGA, LSU, and Bama's spring game. Most all of these scrimmages were dominated by the defense. Rewatching Auburn's spring game I feel better about what I saw. Sean had some decent drives with the white jersey team which I think was 2nd team against the blue 1st team. Give JF3 the summer to work with receivers and IMO we'll have two decent Qbs.

I saw someone mention this earlier and got shut down saying coaches wouldn't approve. Well looks like some would: link

Imagine a packed Grove of tailgaters and a raucous Vaught-Hemingway Stadium – in April. Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze is trying to take it from his imagination to reality.

Exactly one year after Freeze went on Nashville radio’s A to Z Sports with his idea of a new-and-improved spring football game, the Rebels didn’t have a spring exhibition. In-state rival Mississippi State could have done without the empty hoopla too.

Renovations at Ole Miss led to a 15th practice instead of an intra-sqaud game. Only a few hundred watched inside the indoor practice facility. In Starkville, 15,717 fans showed up to watch the Bulldogs take on the Bulldogs.

After his scrimmage, Freeze brought up the same idea he did a year ago. He is off-the-collar proposing to play spring games against an actual opponent.

And why not? The buzz isn’t there for most schools with the current setup. There are obviously exceptions. Georgia had 93,000 show up and Ohio State played in front of nearly 101,000.

But the biggest buzz in Starkville came twice — when the team showed former quarterback Dak Prescott on the jumbotron and when he snuck in from the sidelines to throw a pass.

Not to say coaches aren’t seeing things they need to see but it had a gimmicky, middling feel. Fans weren’t into it. And just as staffs need spring practice evaluation, fans need to be fed.

Right now they are being fed processed gunk.

Would fans be into it if there was someone to beat? There is an argument to both sides. Ole Miss beating someone regional like Louisiana-Lafayette may sound pointless. Just remember it sold out a pointless November game against Presbyterian in 2014. Presbyterian.

Fans want to see their team beat someone besides their team. They’ll pay for it. Freeze suggests the ticket price at $5 or even whatever fans can afford to pay and that it go to charity or charities of choice after paying the traveling team’s expenses. If you can afford $40, pay $40. If your son feels good about using the quarters in his piggy bank, let him drop those in the cup at Gate C.

Freeze intends to bring it up again at the SEC meetings in Destin and it could go further than just chatter. Alabama coach Nick Saban didn’t completely snide the idea when asked. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told the Montgomery Advertiser he likes Auburn’s traditional setup – 45,723 fans agreed this year.

It would be easier said than done, but isn’t everything? Freeze is right.

The coaches would agree to play by the depth chart – ones on ones, twos on twos and down the line. And it doesn’t necessarily have to be FBS vs. FCS, as long as the team coming in isn’t on your schedule the next three or four years.

The idea has potential to create huge weekends. Imagine one year Ole Miss hosts UT-Chattanooga, then the next year goes to Memphis. There is something exciting about a full Grove in April, the next weekend a game-like atmosphere with thousands of Rebels fans on Beale Street.

Even if all parties agreed (the SEC and NCAA would have to stamp it), there are roadblocks. Not everyone is going to agree to make it as live as an SEC West showdown in October. But that seems to only way to carry it through.

If we’re going to go through the trouble of setting up game weekends in April, the quarterbacks need to get hit and there needs to be contested kickoffs, even if the final quarter features the walk-on quarterback being chased by the third-string defensive end.

It would have to be worked around SEC baseball weekends if the show starts going on the road. That’s doable. Plenty of fans would miss the second game of a three-game baseball series to see Ole Miss football play an actual Saturday game down at South Alabama.

Even more would show up to dress up and grill on a 70-degree day in April, all to tide them over between recruiting season and actual season.

TV would eat it up. A very limited number would complain if the SEC Network replaced Vanderbilt gymnastics with Ole Miss vs. Tulane spring football.

It is more than possible but has to be complete — with hitting, scheming and coaches in the press box calling live plays, not talking to Cole Cubelic at the line of scrimmage.

SEC TV already carries all the spring games.....so pair the teams up and that's fewer games on the tube....and more time for swimming and gymnastics....and maybe get to see the equestrian championship as a bonus..

Which bring me to the behind the scenes goal of A-Day, which is to not give your week 1 opponent any hints as to what they are going to see when you do take the field. Unless John really makes some serious progress over the Summer, I expect to see a very different playbook than what we've run for the past several years, and you can bet Gus wants it to be a surprise to Clemson.

Hmmmm .... you didn't see any of the Clemson spring game. Watson played QB for both sides early in the game. Blew the place up. No secret what he can do, and the coaches say he has improved since last year. Auburn knows exactly what it is facing. On the other hand, it is true that Auburn didn't show Clemson (or anybody else) much to worry about offensively in the A-Day game. Did the Auburn coaches actually intend the offense to be so abysmal, intentionally avoid converting a single 3rd down, coach the QBs to be as unimpressive as possible? As a way of concealing that Auburn is really an offensive powerhouse? I doubt it. But I'm sure hoping some sort of magic happens between now and next fall.

Which bring me to the behind the scenes goal of A-Day, which is to not give your week 1 opponent any hints as to what they are going to see when you do take the field. Unless John really makes some serious progress over the Summer, I expect to see a very different playbook than what we've run for the past several years, and you can bet Gus wants it to be a surprise to Clemson.

Hmmmm .... you didn't see any of the Clemson spring game. Watson played QB for both sides early in the game. Blew the place up. No secret what he can do, and the coaches say he has improved since last year. Auburn knows exactly what it is facing. On the other hand, it is true that Auburn didn't show Clemson (or anybody else) much to worry about offensively in the A-Day game. Did the Auburn coaches actually intend the offense to be so abysmal, intentionally avoid converting a single 3rd down, coach the QBs to be as unimpressive as possible? As a way of concealing that Auburn is really an offensive powerhouse? I doubt it. But I'm sure hoping some sort of magic happens between now and next fall.

Nice post but apparently you didn't get the memo................

The experts on this board have informed everyone that no conclusions can be drawn from A-Day.

lol

What Auburn did is what they do every year. Run a very limited offense that didn't show any of the wrinkles that Gus likes to throw in on game day. Are they trying to hide a powerhouse QB... no, but they certainly aren't showing our hand.

Who knows that's, we looked doomed in 10 at QB and NC or BT was gonna start after A day lol.

We down played Cam and NM befor they actually played in a Game. The way JF3 speaks, he acts like he is gonna start and I'm not sure we should believe any different. Gus likes smoke screens, maybe Webb and Jenkins are just that, he seems to do the same with coaches.

What's the value in a spring game (uh...scrimmage) from a coach's and player's standpoint? I'm thinking very little. So why have a spring game?

The fan's

Buy season tickets...lol.

Or a ticket to a real game.

Who knows that's, we looked doomed in 10 at QB and NC or BT was gonna start after A day lol.

We down played Cam and NM befor they actually played in a Game. The way JF3 speaks, he acts like he is gonna start and I'm not sure we should believe any different. Gus likes smoke screens, maybe Webb and Jenkins are just that, he seems to do the same with coaches.

Ah, but in Cam and Nicks cases, impartial observers weren't saying he had major issues with his mechanics and was totally inconsistent and mostly inaccurate with his passing. I don't think anyone is covering up anything here.

Just that's nobody know what we had in NM until he played a real game. Same with Cam...

We don't know if JF3 is the same situation or not.

The fact he is faster than NM is a big reason why unless we get Eli, I 100% believe he is the starter. NM missed a lot of throws and all JF3 must do is make those few throws, we must have the same power run O, for it to work but those games we only threw a few passes would also work with JF3 IMO. Especially if our young WR can step it up.

Just that's nobody know what we had in NM until he played a real game. Same with Cam...

We don't know if JF3 is the same situation or not.

The fact he is faster than NM is a big reason why unless we get Eli, I 100% believe he is the starter. NM missed a lot of throws and all JF3 must do is make those few throws, we must have the same power run O, for it to work but those games we only threw a few passes would also work with JF3 IMO. Especially if our young WR can step it up.

agreed

If we can avoid ever having 3rd and 5+, then we'll be just fine with JF3 at QB.

well, that's not good.

Archived