2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

So let's say we have to get a new HC by year's end. I think one of '18 or '19 (hey, maybe both!) will set up for a run. If we're going to start Dampeer, Leff and Kozan this year, we need our '17 OL to be: something like: Horton-Carr-Kim-Smith-Golsen. If we constantly have a new OL we trap ourselves into years of rebuilding. I'm really hair trying to figure out when we're good again, and I think we have one more really good year (including a win over Turds) before the decade ends.

The coaches know what they are doing way more than you do. Changing coaching staffs now would be stupid and I'm not even sure why you bring this into this discussion. This is about 2016 A-Day not a ridiculous what if scenario that likely won't happen like you want it to. (meaning the firing of coaches). Let's stick to the current topic.,

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of our fan base has forgotten what being a fan really is. This bandwagon mentality is for the other school in the state.

This is such a small slice of the AU fan base that you draw any conclusions from comments on this site at your own risk. Like in the newspaper comments, you mostly get negative commentary from the disaffected.

I think some of our fan base has forgotten what being a fan really is. This bandwagon mentality is for the other school in the state.

This is such a small slice of the AU fan base that you draw any conclusions from comments on this site at your own risk. Like in the newspaper comments, you mostly get negative commentary from the disaffected.

Granted. That is why I used "some" and not "most", or "all".

Certain portions of every fanbase will always be more frustrated at the lack of success than others but that doesn't mean they are jumping ship. Some demand more than others. As an Auburn fan that attended a different university, I admit that the sidewalk fans are more demanding than the alums but that does not mean the side walkers are bandwagoners. It just means they don't have the full appreciation of Auburn University, the University and out all the emotions into the athletic side of things. But at the same time, it seems to me that some sidewalk fans can be more objective than alums also so I mean sidewalk fans having something to offer..

Kudos

I have to say the last time I left an A day game this unimpressed was probably 08 and the Franklin fiasco, it may have been a glorified scrimmage guys but it was pretty bad , the QB situation is not good.

worse than Frazier/Wallace in 13?

I will not comment on Frazier ever again , long story!

Got a change to watch the replay yesterday. QB play was overall not good as everyone has noted. All had some good plays and bad plays. Whites turnovers and should have been turnovers we're really discouraging. His only prayer of playing is to take care of the football.

Good things were Carlson, DL looked good and in pretty excited about marlon. That kid looks good! I didn't notice Cowart at all. Did he even play? If so it seems he isn't ready yet which is too bad. I thought DBs played well and that was with some key guys out so that is really encouraging. LBs made some plays but didn't get a whole lot of a change cause DL was blowing things up. I hope that continues next season.

I thought the straying OL played well on running plays. OTs need some work on pass blocking. HBs looked big and fast so they could be a great weapon for us. I'd love to see roc in there with cox or pettway. We could shift from power to spread with subbing and really give a D some fits. Let's see if Gus and Lash can make that happen though. O play calling was vanilla but it was that all last year so hard for me to believe they we're holding back. But hopefully they we're. IMO the red zone issues are just as concerning as the 3rd down issues.

This thread is fun. Guys have had 2 weeks of practice after being off since Dec 30 and suddenly AU is in the tank.

Bikeriderga are you related to SW? Just wondering. You seem to be on his bandwagon pretty strong. You did notice he had a couple of turnovers. Gus doesn't like turnovers. WDE

Nope. Yes, there were some mistakes on all sides. I just call it as I saw it.

The wind was really swirling, so part of the passes being off base were no doubt due to the wind. Might be why we did not air it out more.

Bottom line is our Defense is much better. However, you cannot read a whole lot into A-Day.

I don't think our Hbacks will get significant carries during the season. I don't think Gus has ever used HBacks as ball carriers.

Our offense usually outperforms our D in spring games, so this either means our D is turning the corner (doubt it -- we have been terrible on that side of the ball for 10 years now. Very unlikely they all of a sudden got good -- I gotta see it to believe it in real games first), or our O (spring version) is REALLY bad.

I'm Team Woody at this point. I did not like what I saw out of JF3 throwing the ball. Yes, I know how ludicrous it sounds that I'm hoping that a raw true freshman is going to be our guy. Worse case, at least he can make freshman mistakes as a freshman not 3rd year or older guys making those same mistakes. I thought Sean White did ok, but I really hoped in the A-Day version of the O would have shown him put up a performance at least like JJ did last A-Day.

I'll revisit this topic once I am no longer letting my emotion get in the way of assessing something objectively.

Nothing on the offense has changed from the last 2 years.

Didn't we play for the NC in 2013, or did I just dream that we did? :)/>

Math...not everyone's specialty :laugh:/>

There's three things I'm terrible at.

-Making broad predictions based off a scrimmage,

-And math.

-And math.

He never said we were bad the last 2 years. Just that the offense has been the same. What worked with marshal at QB won't necessarily work with anybody taking snaps. You gotta figure out you teams strengths and then build what you do around that. You can't just run the read option because it worked with the guys from last year. You gotta grow and always keep changing it up so you stay a step ahead. That's a good point a4e!

Skimmed through this, so maybe I missed it.

Anyone know if this has been put up on youtube yet? I was only able to find a 2min highlight video.

-And math.

Touché

I don't think our Hbacks will get significant carries during the season. I don't think Gus has ever used HBacks as ball carriers.

That was one of the bright spots for me at A Day. I hope they get carries.

If you think in the 6 years that Gus has run Auburn's offense, he has even come close to exhausting his playbook, then you are seriously underestimating him. If there is a chance that a play can make a difference, and he feels like he has the right personnel to execute it, it will show up on the field.The fact that he ran them in the Spring should be a hint that he considers it an option... especially since both of them broke long runs.

Quarterbacks looked very average. Play calling was bland. The offense often had to rely on field goals as they were unable to punch it in. Third down conversions were abysmal. These are all things we saw in abundance last season. Pointing out that this year's A-Day offense looked sloppy and noting the same ole struggles manifesting themselves does not make a poster a fair weather fan. It makes them a realist. Of course A-Day is not an absolute predictor of things to come. Bama looked terrible in their A-Day game last year and look how they turned out. It was however very disappointing to see zero offensive consistency and very little chemistry. I expected more out of the offense and am surprised that if the goal of a-day was to simulate play, that the coaches utilized such a bizarre rotation of players and play calling.

Quarterbacks looked very average. Play calling was bland. The offense often had to rely on field goals as they were unable to punch it in. Third down conversions were abysmal. Thee are this we saw in abundance last season. Pointing out that this year's A-Day offense looked sloppy and noting the same ole struggles manifesting themselves does not make a poster a fair weather fan. It makes them a realist. Of course A-Day is not an absolute predictor of things to come. Bama looked terrible in their A-Day game last year and look how they turned out. It was however very disappointing to see zero offensive consistency and very little chemistry. I expected more out of the offense and am surprised that if the goal of a-day was to simulate play, that the coaches utilized such a bizarre rotation of players and play calling.

The goal of A-Day is to let the players get out there and have some fun in front of the fans, thus the "bizarre rotation" that included seeing players who might not leave the bench in the Fall. It's a show and little more. The real work happens when no one is allowed to watch.

Which bring me to the behind the scenes goal of A-Day, which is to not give your week 1 opponent any hints as to what they are going to see when you do take the field. Unless John really makes some serious progress over the Summer, I expect to see a very different playbook than what we've run for the past several years, and you can bet Gus wants it to be a surprise to Clemson.

If you think in the 6 years that Gus has run Auburn's offense, he has even come close to exhausting his playbook, then you are seriously underestimating him. If there is a chance that a play can make a difference, and he feels like he has the right personnel to execute it, it will show up on the field.The fact that he ran them in the Spring should be a hint that he considers it an option... especially since both of them broke long runs.

I hope you're right however I think they were given carries because we didn't have as many bodies to fill the RB roles. No inside info just how I feel it'll shake out. I'd love to be wrong

Archived