2016 A-Day

bikeriderga

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of the quarterbacks have been particularly impressive

Agreed.

And by that I mean sharp. A lot of breaking in different guys at different positions, but you would like to see the returning QBs look a little more crisp. I thought Sean looked the best throwing the ball.

I obviously wasn't there, but I do remember Gus making a comment that is was windy. It certainly didn't look like they came out intending to throw all over the field, or show much of anything. The only thing I was even remotely concerned about seeing in the game was Franklin's arm, which we didn't get to see much of.

Agreed.

And by that I mean sharp. A lot of breaking in different guys at different positions, but you would like to see the returning QBs look a little more crisp. I thought Sean looked the best throwing the ball.

I obviously wasn't there, but I do remember Gus making a comment that is was windy. It certainly didn't look like they came out intending to throw all over the field, or show much of anything. The only thing I was even remotely concerned about seeing in the game was Franklin's arm, which we didn't get to see much of.

Wind could have played a big part, and I think you are right about not doing too much.

AU was 1-22 on 3rd downs

Whuch means AU held opposing offense to 1-22 on third downs.

LOL

What did y'all think about the way Roc was used?

First he was used. How many touched did he have.

He looked to get banged up (shoulder?) after his TD catch. No sense in pushing that issue in a pointless a day game.

Agreed.

Wind could have played a big part, and I think you are right about not doing too much.

Besides, I don't remember A-Day giving us serious feelings that 2010 or 2013 were about to happen. I only wanted to see Franklin, because I'd already seen what White and Johnson bring to the table and expected them to be the same or perhaps better. When the QB's aren't live, and the defense is not taking a QB keep seriously, I do think it affects how a play progresses. At the same time, I think the offense misses having a guy that can reach the edge at lightspeed and continue in open space at lightspeed. They're often overlooked, but McCalebb and Grant were important parts of the offense. So is Kerryon Johnson.

Agreed.

Besides, I don't remember A-Day giving us serious feelings that 2010 or 2013 were about to happen. I only wanted to see Franklin, because I'd already seen what White and Johnson bring to the table and expected them to be the same or perhaps better. When the QB's aren't live, and the defense is not taking a QB keep seriously, I do think it affects how a play progresses. At the same time, I think the offense misses having a guy that can reach the edge at lightspeed and continue in open space at lightspeed. They're often overlooked, but McCalebb and Grant were important parts of the offense. So is Kerryon Johnson.

All good points.

Ok so what is the general idea of where this team is at right now? What are the weaknesses and strengths?

Hard to tell, but there were a lot of positives. Ran the ball well. H-Backs in particular played extremely well. Carlson was on the money from all distances imaginable. Defensive line looked very, very good.

Also, Darrell Williams looked like he will be a big contributor.

Agreed.

So your suggesting that JF3 move to the Omac role? :poke:

Noel Mazzone talking to his qb more in 1st ate more than lashless did all game. Coaching and development I'm beginning to believe is our issue.

I don't buy the we don't want to show too much theories. I'm pretty sure what we shows today was close to all we had.

Agreed.

So your suggesting that JF3 move to the Omac role? :poke:

Ha! If he doesn't win the starting QB job, then yeah. I'd like to see him used in that regard and occasional wildcat, than riding the bench as backup QB and occasional wildcat. That said, I'd rather see a guy with his speed at QB if his arm can be relied upon, as I generally prefer to avoid substitution wildcat QB's.

EDIT: Like you, I think Franklin's speed guaranteed him an offer from us, even if he was unable to toss the ball accurately.

Qbs look bad today... this season is not looking good... hope im wrong

It's a scrimmage and means NOTHING... A little perspective would go a long way with many posters here.

just going off what i saw today my statement is true. Sorry I don't have the luxury of seeing them in practice every day, with that being said this is the only perspective i have... i agree that there is a lot that can happen, and as a fan u hope it does, but if not its going to be an up hill battle with this schedule...... on the other hand i like what i saw from the defense..... but hey this is just one fans perspective

Can't take much away from this one except that I'm glad we stayed away from injury and I was happy to see the HB's get more involved in the run game.

War Eagle!

Noel Mazzone talking to his qb more in 1st ate more than lashless did all game. Coaching and development I'm beginning to believe is our issue.

I don't buy the we don't want to show too much theories. I'm pretty sure what we shows today was close to all we had.

A-Day games never show anything. You can't really take a whole lot from these things.

It's a scrimmage and means NOTHING... A little perspective would go a long way with many posters here.

just going off what i saw today my statement is true. Sorry I don't have the luxury of seeing them in practice every day, with that being said this is the only perspective i have... i agree that there is a lot that can happen, and as a fan u hope it does, but if not its going to be an up hill battle with this schedule...... on the other hand i like what i saw from the defense..... but hey this is just one fans perspective

you were correct..... right now, i am already looking forward to basketball season....pearl is highly competent coach and he'll get it done this coming year.....my expectations for football?.....not much unless doublebubble and lash larue are replaced this summer....we have the same problems as we had last year on their side of the ball, and it will be compounded by the lack of quality OT's....ya'll better temper your expectations

SW had a pretty deep pass early. JF3 had a pretty deep pass for a TD. JJ had a beautiful deep ball dropped late. Outside of that there was a lot to be desired of the three. Fall camp will tell the story. Thought the DL looked great. I feel sorry for the guys trying to block Carl Lawson.

you were correct..... right now, i am already looking forward to basketball season....pearl is highly competent coach and he'll get it done this coming year.....my expectations for football?.....not much unless doublebubble and lash larue are replaced this summer....we have the same problems as we had last year on their side of the ball, and it will be compounded by the lack of quality OT's....ya'll better temper your expectations

I think 7-5 is a realistic ceiling . My expectations have been tempered since the TAMU game in 2014.

We can't keep replacing coaches though. Let's stick with Gus and maybe he'll catch lightning in a bottle again. If we fire him we'll wind up with yet another middle tier coach anyway. Until saban retires it won't matter who our coach is.

Here's the summary and bottom line. Gus and lashless are four years in and we won't even be an afterthought in any pre season rankings. If not for opening up with last years second place finisher we would not even get any discussion time. With what tools and dollars Gus has to work with including that ludicrous unearned salary we are paying lashless to be where we are is unacceptable. I question Gus ability to effectively recruit and coach a qb. When I say coach I mean develop. Minus Cam and Nick and what we have at Auburn is very ugly.

At least after today I am in no hurry for the season to start. Unlike last year.

Just checked in on the TAMU game and they are really going to be good....score is 35-35 and their offense is clicking.....unless you are bothered by fumbles and pass interceptions.....and a defense that can't seem to stop anyone.....but this sounds like the kind of game a lot of AU folks were hoping to see at Auburn today.

Been posts for a few weeks about our defense having a break-out season and then when the D plays pretty well....it's the fault of the QBs and the coaches.

With any luck the negative nancy's are gone until basketball season....

Just checked in on the TAMU game and they are really going to be good....score is 35-35 and their offense is clicking.....unless you are bothered by fumbles and pass interceptions.....and a defense that can't seem to stop anyone.....but this sounds like the kind of game a lot of AU folks were hoping to see at Auburn today.

Been posts for a few weeks about our defense having a break-out season and then when the D plays pretty well....it's the fault of the QBs and the coaches.

With any luck the negative nancy's are gone until basketball season....

And, at some point, quite possibly, not everyone who holds a less-than-rosy view of the current path of the AU football team will be viewed automatically as "negative nancies," "bammers," and "whiners" just because they don't toe the company line...

Archived