Woody Working to Start

Charhair

I think a juco is in play every season until somebody takes the job and really owns it. Maybe Gus and Rhett are complicit in the lack of success their high school guys have had, maybe not. Regardless, one of these kids is going to have be really special or we're going to be testing the juco/grad transfer waters every year.

I'm getting to think this is true everywhere. Just look at all the SEC schools who sign 4* and 5* QBs ....who never see the field for them. Maybe the schools don't have enough patience to bring them along at a reasonable pace but mostly they just throw them into the fire and if the guy does poorly after a couple games he's basically history.

I'm thinking a season at a reasonable JUCO is a more useful predictor of success than any number of stars in HS....at least in the short run. . I guess we have to go out and sign all of those HS guys we can lure to AU....but since it's almost impossible to red shirt an ego driven 4* or 5* QB it's necessary to throw them to the wolves and see what happens....or off they go somewhere else

But...if I were a HC, I would have someone full time scouting JUCOs and Grad Transfer prospects....just in case.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a juco is in play every season until somebody takes the job and really owns it. Maybe Gus and Rhett are complicit in the lack of success their high school guys have had, maybe not. Regardless, one of these kids is going to have be really special or we're going to be testing the juco/grad transfer waters every year.

I'm getting to think this is true everywhere. Just look at all the SEC schools who sign 4* and 5* QBs ....who never see the field for them. Maybe the schools don't have enough patience to bring them along at a reasonable pace but mostly they just throw them into the fire and if the guy does poorly after a couple games he's basically history.

I'm thinking a season at a reasonable JUCO is a more useful predictor of success than any number of stars in HS....at least in the short run. . I guess we have to go out and sign all of those HS guys we can lure to AU....but since it's almost impossible to red shirt an ego driven 4* or 5* QB it's necessary to throw them to the wolves and see what happens....or off they go somewhere else

But...if I were a HC, I would have someone full time scouting JUCOs and Grad Transfer prospects....just in case.

I agree. And Malzahn has proven that with Cam AND Marshall showing a Juco can come in and win big.

And unless the light turns on greatly for one of our underclassmen QB (White or Franklin), then next year is Barrett or better bring in a transfer/JUCO if you want to win more than 7 games.

And i agree with Ellitor, if GM wins 7 wins or less, he probably is gone. Only way he continues is if that 7th win is Alabama or possibly GA (big IF)...

^It's been speculated that Barrett won't be ready to start until 2018. The worst-case scenario for the next few years would be that Sean isn't adequate (and/or does have party problems) and we need Barrett to start in 2017, then Gatewood in 2018, and none of them are ready. That we are constantly unable to develop a QB begets the need for other QBs to start sooner, which increases the likelihood of them being mentally broken and prolongs instability at QB--it's a vicious cycle.

For this very reason, I hope Jay doesn't add any big OOC games to the 2018 schedule. If this season is a collapse, we need to have a QB established by the end of 2017 if we want to rebound before the end of the decade. We have the potential to make a run in '18 or '19, but we have to develop one of those three QBs (or Mond if we get him) sooner or later to do it.

We are never too far away from having a top 10 season, no matter how bad it looks.

On the other side of that, we are never too far away from a subpar season, no matter how good it looks.

That said, I think we will have an awesome season before this decade is out.

Too early though to be following plane to Houston.

I'm off the Gus Bus but I'm hoping we can shock some people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fact that AU signed only one high school QB in last years class and that signee has grade problems is another huge red flag on the Gus Bus. But hey it's only May.

If he doesn't qualify, then we are going to be in a big pickle.

Big pickle? We have 5 QBs!

I agree. We do have 5 QBs and hope at least half of them will play well enough to win.

We really need SW to start and play well to give the illusion that we developed a HS quarterback, even though he has the exact same mechanics as when he played in high school. The only way we will be able to recruit better HS QB's. I hope we can hold on to Gatewood, last year at this time we had Narcisse I believe.

We really need SW to start and play well to give the illusion that we developed a HS quarterback, even though he has the exact same mechanics as when he played in high school. The only way we will be able to recruit better HS QB's. I hope we can hold on to Gatewood, last year at this time we had Narcisse I believe.

He already had good mechanics. He had a QB coach for a couple years at least before coming tgo AU.

Anything new on him qualifying academically?

See the last page or 2 in his recruiting forum thread. He will be at AU next Monday.

He already had good mechanics. He had a QB coach for a couple years at least before coming tgo AU.

Shhhhh! Don't you know the current hot button fad is "Gus can't coach QB's"?

Gus is no QB coach. Never has been. Gus has never said he was a QB coach. Not a knock on Gus. If Gus where to hire a true QB coach who knows how good of a offense AU could have.

Our current QB situation is pretty freaking miserable, even on the recruiting side. We have SW and that's it at this point. We have JF3 but we don't know how much he has progressed since the A-Day. If he hasn't progressed much, he will make for a nice receiver but our QB situation will be much worst than it was before. Woody is just too inexperienced to be used this year and not much is known about whether he is SEC material. I sure do hope our 2018 recruit sticks with his commitment because until then, I foresee Gus signing some athletic freak that cannot hit the broad side of the barn with his passes so all of our hopes have to be put on his legs. Seems to be another rinse, repeat cycle.

Just like the LB position, we need to be signing several quality players just in case a few doesn't pan out. Woody may be a quality QB so I have no gripes there. JF3 is quality at running the ball but his passing skills may stall as many drives as his legs keep the drives alive. SW is quality and experienced, so please don't break and slide whenever possible!

Recruits

Tray Bishop- Project QB

Cunningham- Project QB

N Kosi - I could see him doing well...but much like the other two, he could also be a waste of a scholarship much like Kendrick Doss was for Ole Miss.

To exacerbate the issue( or maybe even to diagnose the cause of this issue) the quarterback development by our coaches is piss poor. So signing project type QB's doesn't even make sense right now.

Gus is no QB coach. Never has been. Gus has never said he was a QB coach. Not a knock on Gus. If Gus where to hire a true QB coach who knows how good of a offense AU could have.

^^This^^ plus I'll add he's so frickin stubborn.

^I saw in some other thread where you said that JF3 would be the starter "if the right things fall into place" (something along those lines). Has he made progress in his practice with Vick (that you know of)?

^I saw in some other thread where you said that JF3 would be the starter "if the right things fall into place" (something along those lines). Has he made progress in his practice with Vick (that you know of)?

Me? I still think SW will be the starter.

I also think SW will be starter my question is will we truly adjust to showcase his strength and hide his weaknesses? Play Action passing instead of Zone Read using H-Backs, RB's and TE's in passing game, running slant routes. Still will need to feature Jovon as Auburn needs a strong running game but with right O I think SW can shine. Only time will tell.

I get the feeling- partially informed by some comments offered by more informed people than I- that it's a personal issue either between Gus and Sean or just 100% on Sean that is preventing us from heading into fall full steam with him as the starter. Jovon Robinson was clearly our best RB last season but he didn't play much until he got his act together and got healthy. Sean's healthy, and it would seem Gus is waiting on the other part to happen.

Pure conjecture on my part.

I get the feeling- partially informed by some comments offered by more informed people than I- that it's a personal issue either between Gus and Sean or just 100% on Sean that is preventing us from heading into fall full steam with him as the starter. Jovon Robinson was clearly our best RB last season but he didn't play much until he got his act together and got healthy. Sean's healthy, and it would seem Gus is waiting on the other part to happen.

I think Gus also feels that, with the majority of our high-level receivers being true freshman, we have a better shot of winning more games if we can get the zone read in play. After all, Sean is only as good as the guys he throws to, and if they can't step up, then we become one-dimensional, yet again. Hopefully in the fall, when he really gets to see them all in action, it will show that we are ready to be completely effective as a play-action team.

I also think SW will be starter my question is will we truly adjust to showcase his strength and hide his weaknesses? Play Action passing instead of Zone Read using H-Backs, RB's and TE's in passing game, running slant routes. Still will need to feature Jovon as Auburn needs a strong running game but with right O I think SW can shine. Only time will tell.

Yes to all of this.

I think Gus also feels that, with the majority of our high-level receivers being true freshman, we have a better shot of winning more games if we can get the zone read in play. After all, Sean is only as good as the guys he throws to, and if they can't step up, then we become one-dimensional, yet again. Hopefully in the fall, when he really gets to see them all in action, it will show that we are ready to be completely effective as a play-action team.

If Gus names SW the starter then uses the Nick Marshall game plan with lots of zone reads then Gus won't make it threw the season. IMO.

Yes to all of this.

My question is will out OTs hold up?

If Gus names SW the starter then uses the Nick Marshall game plan with lots of zone reads then Gus won't make it threw the season. IMO.

I don't think that's in the cards at all. I'm certain Gus knows that Sean is a drop back passer who can make some things happen with his feet, but not a lot. The way I see it, based on no inside knowledge, is that Gus sees 2 scenarios. To be great, we either need Franklin to step up, or all of our receivers to step up. I think he's hoping for the first, because the second seems harder to achieve, especially with true freshmen, and because he's salivating over Franklin's speed. My hope is that he can make the call, fast, because Fall prep needs to be one scheme and not 2, or we will likely be underprepared for Clemson.

Yes to all of this.

My question is will out OTs hold up?

I'm told the Oline should be better than last year. Coleman, God bless him, didn't really set the world on fire during his time at AU. Young was good but not great.

Archived