Woody Working to Start

Charhair

^I saw in some other thread where you said that JF3 would be the starter "if the right things fall into place" (something along those lines). Has he made progress in his practice with Vick (that you know of)?

Me? I still think SW will be the starter.

I was talking to Golf. Is SW in trouble?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling- partially informed by some comments offered by more informed people than I- that it's a personal issue either between Gus and Sean or just 100% on Sean that is preventing us from heading into fall full steam with him as the starter. Jovon Robinson was clearly our best RB last season but he didn't play much until he got his act together and got healthy. Sean's healthy, and it would seem Gus is waiting on the other part to happen.

Pure conjecture on my part.

I think Gus also feels that, with the majority of our high-level receivers being true freshman, we have a better shot of winning more games if we can get the zone read in play. After all, Sean is only as good as the guys he throws to, and if they can't step up, then we become one-dimensional, yet again. Hopefully in the fall, when he really gets to see them all in action, it will show that we are ready to be completely effective as a play-action team.

If Gus names SW the starter then uses the Nick Marshall game plan with lots of zone reads then Gus won't make it threw the season. IMO.

I don't think that's in the cards at all. I'm certain Gus knows that Sean is a drop back passer who can make some things happen with his feet, but not a lot. The way I see it, based on no inside knowledge, is that Gus sees 2 scenarios. To be great, we either need Franklin to step up, or all of our receivers to step up. I think he's hoping for the first, because the second seems harder to achieve, especially with true freshmen, and because he's salivating over Franklin's speed. My hope is that he can make the call, fast, because Fall prep needs to be one scheme and not 2, or we will likely be underprepared for Clemson.

these conversations are starting to make sense.

^I saw in some other thread where you said that JF3 would be the starter "if the right things fall into place" (something along those lines). Has he made progress in his practice with Vick (that you know of)?

It is more about learning to be a better leader and doing everything it takes to be that guy

It is more about learning to be a better leader and doing everything it takes to be that guy

^^This^^ SW is not in trouble just needs to grow up a little. I'm still not convinced he will be the starter.

^^This^^ SW is not in trouble just needs to grow up a little. I'm still not convinced he will be the starter.

He is still somewhat young but we never had any of these indications about Jeremy. I haven't given up on either of them.

He is still somewhat young but we never had any of these indications about Jeremy. I haven't given up on either of them.

I haven't either and time will tell. Hey its only June :popcorn: grab the popcorn and enjoy and don't forget the PBR's

I also think SW will be starter my question is will we truly adjust to showcase his strength and hide his weaknesses? Play Action passing instead of Zone Read using H-Backs, RB's and TE's in passing game, running slant routes. Still will need to feature Jovon as Auburn needs a strong running game but with right O I think SW can shine. Only time will tell.

Yes to all of this.

My question is will out OTs hold up?

I'm told the Oline should be better than last year. Coleman, God bless him, didn't really set the world on fire during his time at AU. Young was good but not great.

Yes but I just don't see Golson & Leff respectively being better at OTs than Shon & AY. Deeply hope I am wrong.

Once JFIII is done Woody will be the man

I sincerely hope for him and AU this is right but I don't understand these high expectations for a guy who has to improve a lot as a passer. Sure it can be done but greatly improving passing skills is never a given.

I also think SW will be starter my question is will we truly adjust to showcase his strength and hide his weaknesses? Play Action passing instead of Zone Read using H-Backs, RB's and TE's in passing game, running slant routes. Still will need to feature Jovon as Auburn needs a strong running game but with right O I think SW can shine. Only time will tell.

Yes to all of this.

My question is will out OTs hold up?

I'm told the Oline should be better than last year. Coleman, God bless him, didn't really set the world on fire during his time at AU. Young was good but not great.

Yes but I just don't see Golson & Leff respectively being better at OTs than Shon & AY. Deeply hope I am wrong.

If Leff is going to be a downgrade from AY, why not start James or Horton, given that he'll be gone next year?

I still expect both QBs to be used a lot (SW and JF3)

There is a lot Gus could do with having them on the field at the same time.

We need some creativity (especially early) to avoid being 1 dimensional again, IMHO.

That September run is serious and Gus knows his job is riding on his creative mojo getting us through that month at worst 2-2.

If Leff is going to be a downgrade from AY, why not start James or Horton, given that he'll be gone next year?

Horton ended Spring at Guard & James, while talented; was not consistent, focused, & did not always have a high motor. James can win the job if the light bulb comes on but my understanding is Leff was better overall in the Spring because he was always focused, working, & putting hustle behind his muscle.

^So...does that mean we're in for a weak O-line for the next two+ years?

No. We should be good at Guards & Center. I just have not heard anything about how well Golson & Leff are really doing at OT.

^True. Three of our o-linemen made Athlon's All-SEC list. Actually, if you assign each SEC team "points" proportional to level (4 points for first-team, 3 for second, 2 for third, 1 for fourth), Auburn would have the highest number of points for the OL. So by one measure, we have the best OL in the SEC. :Sing:

^So...does that mean we're in for a weak O-line for the next two+ years?

No. We should be good at Guards & Center. I just have not heard anything about how well Golson & Leff are really doing at OT.

i am optimistic about Golson, very. not about leff as much. would love to be wrong.

We really need SW to start and play well to give the illusion that we developed a HS quarterback, even though he has the exact same mechanics as when he played in high school. The only way we will be able to recruit better HS QB's. I hope we can hold on to Gatewood, last year at this time we had Narcisse I believe.

He already had good mechanics. He had a QB coach for a couple years at least before coming tgo AU.

Shhhhh! Don't you know the current hot button fad is "Gus can't coach QB's"?

Gus is no QB coach. Never has been. Gus has never said he was a QB coach. Not a knock on Gus. If Gus where to hire a true QB coach who knows how good of a offense AU could have.

Agree 100%. I don't knock Gus for not being a good QB coach b/c it's not his area of expertise to begin with. I only fault him for not being proactive and doing something about it after seeing we could use some help whether that be hiring someone full time or letting our QBs be coached during the off season.

I still expect both QBs to be used a lot (SW and JF3)

There is a lot Gus could do with having them on the field at the same time.

We need some creativity (especially early) to avoid being 1 dimensional again, IMHO.

That September run is serious and Gus knows his job is riding on his creative mojo getting us through that month at worst 2-2.

My biggest fear is seeing the same ol non-creative Gus offense. I really hope that has changed no matter who our starter will be. I do feel that Sean will be our starter b/c Gus will likely have more trust in him and know what he'll be getting. However, SW may have a short leash if the O is really struggling. If SW is our starter i'm hoping that we really showcase his strengths. I'm honestly hoping that JF3 has really improved his passing b/c he just brings another dimension to the offense that's hard to game plan against if he can be a decent passer.

JF3 is certainly putting in some serious work to be that guy. I have enjoyed watching his work ethic and he does appear to be more of a vocal leader than SW but any type of QB can lead. JF3 is just bursting with energy and confidence when you see his workouts.

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kids' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and pinpoints he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

For the record I think our situation was a combination of both last season.

Edit: cleaned up the massive typos. I'm glad you could understand what I meant, '83.

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kis' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and what asses he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

And this is what concerns me about Gus b/c i'm of the belief it's going to be far and few between where a team will have most of the right players in the right position and healthy enough to execute at a high level throughout the season. The best coaches adapt and adjust whenever needed and quickly. We shall see. Hard to speculate on anything at this point. Def. excited for game 1 to see what's in store for the season.

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kis' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and what asses he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

And this is what concerns me about Gus b/c i'm of the belief it's going to be far and few between where a team will have most of the right players in the right position and healthy enough to execute at a high level throughout the season. The best coaches adapt and adjust whenever needed and quickly. We shall see. Hard to speculate on anything at this point. Def. excited for game 1 to see what's in store for the season.

Yup! Gus has been praised for his adaptability so I hope he continues to show us he is flexible. I'm hoping the staff was so sure on JJ that they schemed the O around what he was doing well in practice -- to the point where SW wasn't being prepped for game action (major mis-step right there) and for him to have to overhaul the entire O after Game 3 was too tall of a task.

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kids' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and pinpoints he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

Edit: cleaned up the massive typos. I'm glad you could understand what I meant, '83.

It's actually dependent on if Gus trusts his QBs or not. If he does he is creative (2010-13- 14), if not he shells up (2015)

Archived