Woody Working to Start

Charhair

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kids' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and pinpoints he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

For the record I think our situation was a combination of both last season.

Edit: cleaned up the massive typos. I'm glad you could understand what I meant, '83.

It's actually dependent on if Gus trusts his QBs or not. If he does he is creative (2010-13- 14), if not he shells up (2015)

True, true. Trust in QB is a big factor.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does JF3 have that bad of an arm? All I ever read is how he has to improve his accuracy. Is It that bad?

Accuracy & bad arm are usually 2 different things. Bad or good arm usually refers to how strong an arm is, not accuracy. Per most his accuracy was pretty bad going into the Summer & needed to improve dramatically to win QB1.

Does JF3 have that bad of an arm? All I ever read is how he has to improve his accuracy. Is It that bad?

Accuracy & bad arm are usually 2 different things. Bad or good arm usually refers to how strong an arm is, not accuracy. Per most his accuracy was pretty bad going into the Summer & needed to improve dramatically to win QB1.

I should've been more specific. When I was referring to a bad arm I meant his accuracy. Not arm strength. If he's able to run the ball successfully, it'll open wider lanes for him to throw where he won't have to be as accurate, as let's say Sean. The D will be worried about him running. Not saying accuracy doesn't matter, but he won't have to be as accurate. Just get the ball to where they can catch it.

I should've been more specific. When I was referring to a bad arm I meant his accuracy. Not arm strength. If he's able to run the ball successfully, it'll open wider lanes for him to throw where he won't have to be as accurate, as let's say Sean. The D will be worried about him running. Not saying accuracy doesn't matter, but he won't have to be as accurate. Just get the ball to where they can catch it.

Yes and that's been a problem for him. It does not matter how open WRs are if the QB is not throwing catchable passes.

Yes and that's been a problem for him. It does not matter how open WRs are if the QB is not throwing catchable passes.

Most of us only saw the spring game, so based on this statement you must have had access and viewing of him in practice, and therefore the spring game was a good representation of what JFIII can do throwing?

Most of us only saw the spring game, so based on this statement you must have had access and viewing of him in practice, and therefore the spring game was a good representation of what JFIII can do throwing?

Nope. Just passing on what nearly every AU insider across all boards have said. They have all said JF3 has to improve his accuracy in the Summer to be QB1 when football season starts. Some think he will. Others don't think he will be able to improve enough.

There is a reason that a guy with world class speed- not the hyperbolic kind, but literal world class speed- and lateral mobility who played quarterback in JC was classified as a 3* ATH by all the recruiting services, y'all.

There is a reason that a guy with world class speed- not the hyperbolic kind, but literal world class speed- and lateral mobility who played quarterback in JC was classified as a 3* ATH by all the recruiting services, y'all.

same could be said of Marshall. If I remember correctly he had more interceptions than touchdowns.

He was a 4* on Rivals and ESPN. Im not implying that he's as good as NM, but flipping Rivals and 247, he and NM actually had the exact same ratings. Is 247 more accurate than the others?

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kids' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and pinpoints he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

Edit: cleaned up the massive typos. I'm glad you could understand what I meant, '83.

It's actually dependent on if Gus trusts his QBs or not. If he does he is creative (2010-13- 14), if not he shells up (2015)

^^This is the biggest reason why i think SW gets the start....TRUST.

That's why we've seen JF3 seek outside help regarding his accuracy. If he can be more consistent with his accuracy then he could be something special. I know similar things where said about Nick but NM's deep passes were pretty much always on the money and his instincts to either tuck and run it or pass while on the run were amazing. Really good sense of awareness and the situation during key moments in the game.

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kis' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and what asses he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

And this is what concerns me about Gus b/c i'm of the belief it's going to be far and few between where a team will have most of the right players in the right position and healthy enough to execute at a high level throughout the season. The best coaches adapt and adjust whenever needed and quickly. We shall see. Hard to speculate on anything at this point. Def. excited for game 1 to see what's in store for the season.

Yup! Gus has been praised for his adaptability so I hope he continues to show us he is flexible. I'm hoping the staff was so sure on JJ that they schemed the O around what he was doing well in practice -- to the point where SW wasn't being prepped for game action (major mis-step right there) and for him to have to overhaul the entire O after Game 3 was too tall of a task.

I think he was actually on track to overhauling the O, but was faced with poor receiver play... then Sean got hurt and it was all down hill from there.

It depends on whether Gus thinks his play-calling pitfalls are due to the kis' execution or if he steps back and truly re-evaluates himself and what asses he could do better. Many coaches think they already know what works/will work and their only conclusion is that it is up to the players to play better. Unfortunately for that kind of coach, they usually end up fired.

And this is what concerns me about Gus b/c i'm of the belief it's going to be far and few between where a team will have most of the right players in the right position and healthy enough to execute at a high level throughout the season. The best coaches adapt and adjust whenever needed and quickly. We shall see. Hard to speculate on anything at this point. Def. excited for game 1 to see what's in store for the season.

Yup! Gus has been praised for his adaptability so I hope he continues to show us he is flexible. I'm hoping the staff was so sure on JJ that they schemed the O around what he was doing well in practice -- to the point where SW wasn't being prepped for game action (major mis-step right there) and for him to have to overhaul the entire O after Game 3 was too tall of a task.

I think he was actually on track to overhauling the O, but was faced with poor receiver play... then Sean got hurt and it was all down hill from there.

That was my sense as well, although overhauling might not be the right word.

That's why we've seen JF3 seek outside help regarding his accuracy. If he can be more consistent with his accuracy then he could be something special. I know similar things where said about Nick but NM's deep passes were pretty much always on the money and his instincts to either tuck and run it or pass while on the run were amazing. Really good sense of awareness and the situation during key moments in the game.

correct. I used to curse at the tv wanting him to pull it and run more. I could see those big DL on his blind side. Lol. His accuracy was at times suspect but his decision making was stellar which sometimes is left out when talking about Nick. Of course his athleticism was superb. I think if Sean can be as good at decision making as Nick we are in very good shape. I think the accuracy and athleticism are inverted for these two. Both can be successful but requires a different game plan. Gus must get this figured out soon in fall camp. For us to be successful with jf3 his accuracy has to improve we are told and I have never known a qb to improve that much . Sean is what he is athletically which isn't terrible. His decision making has to be as much of an asset as his accuracy. He also needs freshman WRs to grow up and produce quickly. Both are monumental tasks but edge to Sean. Jeremy could end up back in it and explode in a good way but I think it takes an injury for that to happen.

same could be said of Marshall. If I remember correctly he had more interceptions than touchdowns.

-Marshall was strictly a quarterback post-UGA. Texas also offered him as a QB, among others.

-He only played DB at UGA because he wanted to play 2 sports there and it was agreed that he probably wasn't going to be able to do that at QB.

-He threw more picks than TDs, but he did throw for 18 TDs and 3,000+ yards in 11 games.

-He could also do

Franklin might turn into Marshall, but he's nowhere close yet.

-Marshall was strictly a quarterback post-UGA. Texas also offered him as a QB, among others.

-He only played DB at UGA because he wanted to play 2 sports there and it was agreed that he probably wasn't going to be able to do that at QB.

-He threw more picks than TDs, but he did throw for 18 TDs and 3,000+ yards in 11 games.

-He could also do

And Franklin didn't even start at QB for his JUCO team.

Is anyone else concerned about JF3's arm strength? On his TD pass in the A-Day game it was what? Maybe a 45 yard TD pass, right? I'm going off of memory here so forgive the lack of accuracy on this. But that TD to Marcus Davis where he just heaved it down field seemed like he put an awful lot of his power into that throw and it wasn't necessarily thrown very far (if we're talking about arm strength not being an issue)...coupled with it being a pretty bad pass I think it's safe to assume in a game vs SEC teams that is picked off. I love the running he brings to the table but if they crowd the box, and we don't have a top 2 draft pick on the offensive line paving the way......let's just say I don't like the sound of how that looks like it could play out.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

-He could also do

And Franklin didn't even start at QB for his JUCO team.

This is one of those facts that once the season starts we very well could be "Well, what were we thinking? He couldn't even start on his juco team. Of course..."

Hey, but stranger things have happened such as JJ's production this past year.

Is anyone else concerned about JF3's arm strength? On his TD pass in the A-Day game it was what? Maybe a 45 yard TD pass, right? I'm going off of memory here so forgive the lack of accuracy on this. But that TD to Marcus Davis where he just heaved it down field seemed like he put an awful lot of his power into that throw and it wasn't necessarily thrown very far (if we're talking about arm strength not being an issue)...coupled with it being a pretty bad pass I think it's safe to assume in a game vs SEC teams that is picked off. I love the running he brings to the table but if they crowd the box, and we don't have a top 2 draft pick on the offensive line paving the way......let's just say I don't like the sound of how that looks like it could play out.

Just watched that play again. It was definitely an ugly pass but it looks like the ball may have slipped a bit & it did not look like put max effort on it or heaved it as you said. It looked more like a pass a QB would throw for a kick or punt returner. I've never seen QBs put max effort on those passes. The focus in doing that is on height not zip.

This is one of those facts that once the season starts we very well could be "Well, what were we thinking? He couldn't even start on his juco team. Of course..."

I'll never be mad about us signing the kid. Not with his speed. But I really hope that we're not wasting everybody's time by trying to turn him into a legit QB.

Lol, good point. And damned if the strangest things don't always happen at Auburn. We're on almost a 15 year run of absolute insanity. 2003 to 2004 to 2008 to 2010 to 2012 to 2013 (!!!!!!) to 2015 (has anybody copyrighted "The Year of Broken Jaws and Broken Dreams" yet?)... And that's just the on-field stuff.

Just watched that play again. It was definitely an ugly pass but it looks like the ball may have slipped a bit & it did not look like put max effort on it or heaved it as you said. It looked more like a pass a QB would throw for a kick or punt returner. I've never seen QBs put max effort on those passes. The focus in doing that is on height not zip.

arm strength is not a concern at all. The fact he threw that at all is concerning.

I've got to watch it again, as I said I was going off of memory. But I hope to see the same things you saw there.

I'll never be mad about us signing the kid. Not with his speed. But I really hope that we're not wasting everybody's time by trying to turn him into a legit QB.

Lol, good point. And damned if the strangest things don't always happen at Auburn. We're on almost a 15 year run of absolute insanity. 2003 to 2004 to 2008 to 2010 to 2012 to 2013 (!!!!!!) to 2015 (has anybody copyrighted "The Year of Broken Jaws and Broken Dreams" yet?)... And that's just the on-field stuff.

Right, I will never mind signing a kid with that type of speed. He's worth a shot. But I'm right there with you in terms of hoping we aren't wasting time. And you're so right. Our 15 year run has been nuts. However, I like the pattern. I'm hoping 2015 is the precursor to a monster 2016.

Also, lol @ alexava. Yes the fact that he even thought to throw that is definitely concerning.

arm strength is not a concern at all. The fact he threw that at all is concerning.

True.

Archived