Ncaa talking to Auburn players

aubiefifty

30 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yes, I get that. But the problem is with the title of this and many other articles. They're purposefully being vague and/or misleading to get people to click. I just wish they'd save that for Buzzfeed and the other "you won't believe what happened next!" sites. 

And how many people just read the headline and make a judgement about AU based on those half dozen words  ?  

I can't understand anyone with a degree or two from AU who says that they don't care what people think about the school?    I'm proud of AU and it greatly bothers me to see someone imply improper actions by our school or athletic department....just to make a few bucks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And how many people just read the headline and make a judgement about AU based on those half dozen words  ?  

I can't understand anyone with a degree or two from AU who says that they don't care what people think about the school?    I'm proud of AU and it greatly bothers me to see someone imply improper actions by our school or athletic department....just to make a few bucks.

All I'm saying is that the title could've been worded better to accurately convey the actual content of the article. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

All I'm saying is that the title could've been worded better to accurately convey the actual content of the article. 

Sorry ...did not aim that comment at you...have seen so many folks state that they don't care what people think about AU when some bad news arises that gets to the national media.   

This headline was very likely intentionally worded in such a was as to attract readership from AU fans and even more likely aimed at bammers who just flock to any unfavorable news about Auburn.   The thing is, these stories end up on the internet on Yahoo and other sites...and most people only see the title and never read the facts.    JMO but it's deliberately sleazy journalism.

It's all about clicks over there and has been transitioning that way for some time ... which kinda feels like "pigs at the trough" given the subscription model.  The whole site is the yellow-pages to top it off ... you can't toggle through any article, video, gallery or even browse the boards w/o a pop-up or ad in-your-face ad.

3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

It's all about clicks over there and has been transitioning that way for some time ... which kinda feels like "pigs at the trough" given the subscription model.  The whole site is the yellow-pages to top it off ... you can't toggle through any article, video, gallery or even browse the boards w/o a pop-up or an in-your-face ad.

Unless you have adblock enabled on your browser.

Just now, ellitor said:

Unless you have adblock enabled on your browser.

Even so, why should they be necessary?  Their users PAY for that site.

10 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Even so, why should they be necessary?  Their users PAY for that site.

It shouldn't be. Ron is trying to generate more money. Plus they have no where near the subs AU rivals has.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It shouldn't be. Ron is trying to generate more money. Plus they have no where near the subs AU rivals has.

Yeah ... and agree with the original poster ... their social media feeds, particularly facebook, have turned into nothing but click bait.

11 hours ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

They also call themselves experts which is total bunk. Having access to information does not make you an expert.

Sure it does. I saw it online

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

team info maybe. Keith kills everybody with recruiting coverage though.

Agreed. I think Keith covers recruiting in a fair fashion, just stating what he knows. He does recruiting news for AU but he went to U of Florida.

Just now, bigbird said:

I've never had a subscription to any of those sites. Could never really justify it.

I think I could if this site didn't exist. Luckily, all of that information ends up here eventually. 

I dont like what the NCAA is doing here. I think it sets a bad precedent, to grant players immunity in order to get dirt on another program. 

13 hours ago, im4au said:

I wonder who the "other SEC West" schools are?  duh, Bama. We get headlines and they don't even get called out by name.

You're wrong, the NCAA questioned Bo Scarbrough at Bama last year, found out that OM paid him to visit Oxford and the kid was punished, suspended and sat out 3-4 games last season.  The news hit the headlines at the time.

The "other SEC West" school listed in Forde's article is aTm, they're interviewing Greg Little and they damn well should after the sketchy crap that went on with him.  They've also interviewed the Vol DE Johnathan Kongbo and rumor has it they are headed North to Michigan to question a stud player that Freeze was making a hard press to get to OM.  The NCAA has obviously decided to branch out their investigation.  OM boosters and some OM asst coaches have been running wild even while OM was under NCAA investigation. That can't make the NCAA happy.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

team info maybe. Keith kills everybody with recruiting coverage though.

That's exactly what I was going to say - Keith kills it. Personally I don't have a big problem with Marcello, my issues lie with Crepea. He's TERRIBLE.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

You're wrong, the NCAA questioned Bo Scarbrough at Bama last year, found out that OM paid him to visit Oxford and the kid was punished, suspended and sat out 3-4 games last season.  The news hit the headlines at the time.

The "other SEC West" school listed in Forde's article is aTm, they're interviewing Greg Little and they damn well should after the sketchy crap that went on with him.  They've also interviewed the Vol DE Johnathan Kongbo and rumor has it they are headed North to Michigan to question a stud player that Freeze was making a hard press to get to OM.  The NCAA has obviously decided to branch out their investigation.  OM boosters and some OM asst coaches have been running wild even while OM was under NCAA investigation. That can't make the NCAA happy.

I think the Hugh Freeze recruiting coups may be getting ready to come to a screeching halt.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Agreed. I think Keith covers recruiting in a fair fashion, just stating what he knows. He does recruiting news for AU but he went to U of Florida.

Ron Sanders coached there as well but does a good job. At least provides interesting insight from a coach standpoint. Better than some of the other former coach talking heads that I've heard now and again.

29 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think I could if this site didn't exist. Luckily, all of that information ends up here eventually. 

I dont like what the NCAA is doing here. I think it sets a bad precedent, to grant players immunity in order to get dirt on another program. 

OM was "allegedly" paying recruits to visit campus during recruitment, the guys told our coaches when they visited AU and they ended up signing with us on NSD.  The NCAA has all the information they need, they are just corroborating the stories to make sure the Ole Miss coaches and Administration didn't lie to them.  To get these players to be as open and truthful as possible, they are offering immunity.  The dirt just keeps piling up on OleMiss/Freeze ~ it's not the recruits/players fault.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

OM was "allegedly" paying recruits to visit campus during recruitment, the guys told our coaches when they visited AU and they ended up signing with us on NSD.  The NCAA has all the information they need, they are just corroborating the stories to make sure the Ole Miss coaches and Administration didn't lie to them.  To get these players to be as open and truthful as possible, they are offering immunity.  The dirt just keeps piling up on OleMiss/Freeze ~ it's not the recruits/players fault.

I still don't think it's a good precedent to start offering immunity. I'm not sure that's the best mechanism to get to the "truth." 

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I still don't think it's a good precedent to start offering immunity. I'm not sure that's the best mechanism to get to the "truth." 

Because for someone like Austin Golson (OM transfer & redshirt Jr.), a very important starter for us with limited eligibility left at Auburn you won't get the full truth without it.  I'd think immunity would be the ONLY way to get him to fully cooperate and be forthcoming about OM.  The NCAA canvased a few states interviewing multiple players at multiple schools about their OM recruitment this summer.  

Players that are starters or have a serious shot at starting this season won't shoot themselves in the foot by divulging information about OM that may incriminate them in the eyes of the NCAA and could jeopardize their whole season.  

Hell, I'd have think our coaching staff insisted on immunity for our players - at least I hope Gus pushed the immunity option for his Oline starter and any other AU player the NCAA wants to hound about this OM crapshow.  Why should AU help the NCAA hammer another program and in return possibly shoot ourselves in the foot before the season even starts?  This is a crucial year for Auburn and for Gus specifically, we need to cover our ass and not just offer up our players to the NCAA like meat on a platter without some insurance/security from the NCAA that they will be protected.

Just now, keesler said:

Because for someone like Austin Golson (OM transfer & redshirt Jr.), a very important starter for us with limited eligibility left at Auburn you won't get the full truth without it.  I'd think immunity would be the ONLY way to get him to fully cooperate and be forthcoming about OM.  The NCAA canvased a few states interviewing multiple players at multiple schools about their OM recruitment this summer.  

Players that are starters or have a serious shot at starting this season won't shoot themselves in the foot by divulging information about OM that may incriminate them in the eyes of the NCAA and could jeopardize their whole season.  

Hell, I'd have think our coaching staff insisted on immunity for our players - at least I hope Gus pushed the immunity option for his Oline starter and any other AU player the NCAA wants to hound about this OM crapshow.  Why should AU help the NCAA hammer another program and in return possibly shoot ourselves in the foot before the season even starts?  This is a crucial year for Auburn and for Gus specifically, we need to cover our ass and not just offer up our players to the NCAA like meat on a platter without some insurance/security from the NCAA that they will be protected.

Oh I definitely understand the reason behind it. Because, I think you are right, it's a good tool to find the truth. That being said, and maybe not necessarily in this case, people have agendas. People who feel wronged, or have beef with a school might say, give me immunity and I'll tell you a story. If a kid felt like he got screwed over, he might say, yeah they tried to pay me. That's where I'm coming from. 

If in this case, you've got an investigation that's ongoing, where as a result of that investigation the NCAA has reason to believe that violations may have occurred in the recruitment of players x, y and z, and then using that information you offer those players immunity to tell their story, that's one thing. But I think it's a dangerous precedent, and a tactic that could potentially be abused Ina way that would unfairly harm a school. Again I'm looking more down the road than anything else. 

On August 25, 2016 at 11:34 AM, aubiefifty said:

they have a post out on facebook about ole miss. but they "loosely" claim the investigation leads to auburn and miss state. what the article really says is they are interviewing auburn and state players who were recruited by ole miss as well. man i hate this kind of crap. it is very misleading to get clicks i am sure. maybe these guys are better than i might know but i wonder how many people look at the headline and say."yep! auburn and msu in trouble again". in my senior and feeble mind does anyone get what i am saying? and i have copied and pasted the article  heading below....... 

You never want the NCAA sniffing around your door, no matter the circumstances.

safe_image.php?d=AQDZrNbaqr_D--Kd&w=476&

auburn.247sports.com

anyone see what i mean?

If you hate the clickbait title so much, why did you make one of your own for this thread?

Archived