Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I too fully expect Gus back for next year. The official playbook reads that there has to be a scapegoat (Lashlee) that is fired after this year. This allows Gus another year to 2 years where he either rights the ship or, more likely, is axed. 

agreed, sabass then hires Lashlee

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offensive minded coach can't get past our own 40 over and over and over. Time to go. What does he bring to the table at this point? No accounts of players really liking him. No games where I've just been blown away by his impressive play calling. Tired of repeated excuses.

2 hours ago, Charhair said:

We could make a big hire. The big names that will be "on the market" after this season (as far as the people speculated to take over for Gus/les etc) will probably end up being a bidding war. 

The question would be will the selection committe, or whoever, choose to spend the big bucks and make a big time hire or go after another up and comer

Auburn hasn't made a big hire in my lifetime, and they aren't going to start now. I understand that it is getting harder to make the case to keep Gus, but let's not kid ourselves about our prospects. I've heard folks throw out names like Herman or Shaw, who are not about to leave their current gigs to come to AU. We did this after 08 and hired a 5-19 guy from Iowa St. Then again after 2012, when we hired a guy with one year of head coaching experience at a small school. Even Tuberville barely had a .500 record at Ole Miss. (Maybe there is someone out there with a 6-18 record or possibly even two years experience who we could target this time around). 

22 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This began when Gus could not get Jeremy Johnson ready last year. He & Duke Williams should have set records together. Jeremy Johnson is one of the most physically gifted QB's Auburn has EVER had.

Then, he could not convince either offensive tackle to stay for their final year of eligibility. As a result, we down graded at both tackle positions and the Center position after we were forced to move our center to LT. 

These issues are all compounded by the fact that we were unable to sign 5* OT Martez Ivey even though he was living with our Chandler Cox's family. Then we signed Tyler Queen instead of Lamar Jackson. Let that sink in all night...

Amen, brother, sink it in all night long.

22 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This began when Gus could not get Jeremy Johnson ready last year. He & Duke Williams should have set records together. Jeremy Johnson is one of the most physically gifted QB's Auburn has EVER had.

Then, he could not convince either offensive tackle to stay for their final year of eligibility. As a result, we down graded at both tackle positions and the Center position after we were forced to move our center to LT. 

These issues are all compounded by the fact that we were unable to sign 5* OT Martez Ivey even though he was living with our Chandler Cox's family. Then we signed Tyler Queen instead of Lamar Jackson. Let that sink in all night...

You make it sound like Lamar Jackson picked Auburn and the Tigers declined. Auburn extended an offer and he chose Louisville over a slew of other teams including Clemson, FSU OSU, and Georgia. Not sure Auburn was even on his radar.

Just now, murpjf88 said:

You make it sound like Lamar Jackson picked Auburn and the Tigers declined. Auburn extended an offer and he chose Louisville over a slew of other teams including Clemson, FSU OSU, and Georgia. Not sure Auburn was even on his radar.

The insiders on this board said otherwise. Apparently, Lamar Jackson did NOT have a committable offer from Auburn. Also, a lot of those schools wanted him at a different position other than QB.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/16/12934306/lamar-jackson-louisville-quarterback-recruit

"I was surprised more schools didn't buy in," Charles Fishbein -- president of Elite Scouting Services, which evaluates players for college clients -- told SB Nation. "One SEC school, whose offense was a perfect fit and is now struggling with QB play, didn't think he could play for them."

I wonder who he is referencing? Hmm

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Now this is funny stuff. 

What -- it's funny to suggest that a coach with two NCGs in 6 years might know what he's doing?

Or, that thousands of petulant fans can have an adverse effect on a small group of stressed out 18-22 year olds?

These kids know what's going on around them -- I'm sure they read boards like this. What would you think if you were on this team and you read the dross that gets posted here? Has it occured to you that these players like Gus, and that's why they signed here?

AU fans make such a big deal out of the Auburn Man. Well, how about trying to be a man, period. That means not melting down after every adverse outcome. It means projecting mental strength, taking a wide view, and thinking before you speak. T

14 minutes ago, msza said:

What -- it's funny to suggest that a coach with two NCGs in 6 years might know what he's doing?

Or, that thousands of petulant fans can have an adverse effect on a small group of stressed out 18-22 year olds?

These kids know what's going on around them -- I'm sure they read boards like this. What would you think if you were on this team and you read the dross that gets posted here? Has it occured to you that these players like Gus, and that's why they signed here?

AU fans make such a big deal out of the Auburn Man. Well, how about trying to be a man, period. That means not melting down after every adverse outcome. It means projecting mental strength, taking a wide view, and thinking before you speak. T

I wouldn't waste time reading message boards if I was a collegiate athlete. Kind of like how many of them probably do not waste time reading the vile stuff on twitter.  I am sure many of them like Gus. I work in healthcare. A lot of employees loved a past DON at one of our buildings. Of course, the DON ran the building to the ground after having 1 good survey and got fired. Progression is the key to any source of job. Being liked is a plus that comes with it.

45 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Auburn hasn't made a big hire in my lifetime, and they aren't going to start now. I understand that it is getting harder to make the case to keep Gus, but let's not kid ourselves about our prospects. I've heard folks throw out names like Herman or Shaw, who are not about to leave their current gigs to come to AU. We did this after 08 and hired a 5-19 guy from Iowa St. Then again after 2012, when we hired a guy with one year of head coaching experience at a small school. Even Tuberville barely had a .500 record at Ole Miss. (Maybe there is someone out there with a 6-18 record or possibly even two years experience who we could target this time around). 

The thing is, in no ones life time other than ours, right now, has there been in state rival thriving like Bama and Saban are. Bear is a great comparison but Saban appears that he's going to run away with the title, against probably better competition.

thats motivated our fans to want more and we have upgraded our facilities and recruited on par with what our fans are expecting but not producing like it, consistently. I think the good ol boy network is afraid of all of the flack they'll take if they have to pay another huge buy out so I doubt we see Gus gone this year unless we get 0-1 sec wins. 

If/when is he let go, if it's for bad on the field results, I think there will be more clamor from boosters, people like Bo/Barkley and fans to make a big time top tier higher than there was the past two times. 

Todd Haley (Steelers OC)

Greg Olson (Jaguars OC)

Todd Graham (ASU)

Any of those three would be good.  

I agree with the Shula comparisons. Go and look at the resumes of other D1 Power 5 coaches, they all spent a long time either at lower tier schools as a HC or as a D1 coordinator  Malzahn has done none of this  He doesnt even have a coaching tree. There is noone he's learned from or under. 

Agree with poster above too- what were we thinking when we hired Chizik? Why at that point did we decide he was the guy. I mean Auburn was a big deal when Tubs left. We had the chance to go after a big name but went with Chizik

I couldn't believe it when Chizik was named head coach. Didn't JJ make some bold statement about wanting to make some kind of home run hire? If I am the one making the hiring decision after hearing your record is 5-19 my next comment is NEXT!

7 hours ago, DAG said:

The insiders on this board said otherwise. Apparently, Lamar Jackson did NOT have a committable offer from Auburn. Also, a lot of those schools wanted him at a different position other than QB.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/16/12934306/lamar-jackson-louisville-quarterback-recruit

"I was surprised more schools didn't buy in," Charles Fishbein -- president of Elite Scouting Services, which evaluates players for college clients -- told SB Nation. "One SEC school, whose offense was a perfect fit and is now struggling with QB play, didn't think he could play for them."

I wonder who he is referencing? Hmm

so sad

Chizik won a national championship for Auburn. Yes, he had a terrible season in 2012, but to say it was a bad hire or to say you regret the hire is ludicrous to me. He won a national championship. That's the ultimate goal, right? The pinnacle of the sport? And he did that. He achieved the highest accomplishment in the sport. Do you guys not remember that?

Did he deserve to be fired after 2012? You can certainly make that argument. But be grateful he was hired. He won our first national championship in about 50 years, and it may be another 50 years before we win another one.

11 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

This is true. Lamar wanted to come to AU bad. Loved Cam and what Cam did in the AU offense. But Gus slow played Lamar. Louisville didn't slow play Lamar and the rest is history. 

35 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is true. Lamar wanted to come to AU bad. Loved Cam and what Cam did in the AU offense. But Gus slow played Lamar. Louisville didn't slow play Lamar and the rest is history. 

Yup. Wanted to come to AU bad but we never gave him a commitable offer. However if he had come to AU I have my doubts Gus & Rhett would have developed him so well so fast as Petrino has.

11 hours ago, msza said:

22 hours ago, msza said:

We are a playmaker or two away from being 3-0.  When you don't have 'highlight reel' players, youre going to struggle to win big games. But when Gus has the playmakers, we are a championship contender. He's proven that with his two NCG appearances. There's no reason for him to change the offensive philosophy that has made him one of (if not the) most successful offensive coaches since 2010.

Maybe he should be criticized for not properly evaluating talent (or, more likely, for failure to sign the best talent), but the man can coach. 

Sometimes it's the fans, not the coach, who lose the team.

So for the record, I like Gus and would rather him be successful here than have to go through another coaching change and all that entails- I doubt I'm the only one who feels like this. And now on to what makes this one funny post...where to start??

-A playmaker or two away from 3-0 eh? Ok, well our playmaker's aren't the problem. We have enough quality playmaker's but they are simply put in a position to fail- by Gus and Lashlee primarily.

-Lack of highlight reel player's? See above. We shouldn't have needed "highlight reel" players to win most of these games we've lost during this terrible run we are on.

-Coaches lose teams, not fans. I mean really. For the record, it's obvious he hasn't lost this team and no one has suggested so.

-No reason to change offensive philosophy? Now this is gold here. Game planning, playcalling, and scheme are all part of offensive philosophy and if you don't think there's reason to change after what you've seen the past two years plus then I don't know what to tell ya. Clearly what he's done in the past isn't working and some the best D minds reside in the SEC. Many are taking Gus and his "philosophy" to the woodshed. Frankly its painful to watch a grown man get schooled but it's not an accident or coincidence. They simply have a book on him and know what we are going to do so yes, if he wants to continue on as HC here, he better have a change and fast.

This is anything but a meltdown on the part of a majority of the fan base, this is our new reality and we all cope in different ways. WDE.

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

If Jay Jacobs is doing the hiring I would just prefer keep Gus.  Jacobs is the problem.  Not Gus.

I agree with your 1st two sentences totally.  I disagree with the 3rd.  Gus is certainly a huge part of the problem because it has become evident that he cannot handle being the HC of a power 5 program.

wde

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

If Jay Jacobs is doing the hiring I would just prefer keep Gus.  Jacobs is the problem.  Not Gus.

Huh? How can Gus not be the problem too, and ofc for different reasons? Our play, our plans, our recruiting is ALL on the current coaches. 

Yes, JJ has problems too with his now record of coaching hires..but to say Gus is not the problem? Come on...

I don't know who I am more disappointed in - CGM/RL or the OL. We have had such great OLs the last few years, then we hire a new OL coach from Penn St and our OL can't protect the QB. Wow!! While we are signing good recruits, we are not developing them. We call plays in which their formation is not ideal for QB protection. From the Clemson disaster rotating THREE QBs, to this game, I have seen enough from GM/RL. And I feel the worst for our D who is playing their tails off. But any great D will wear down when they are on the field a big majority of the game.

I love Auburn and will keep rooting my heart out. But I have no faith left in our HC or OC and even if we beat Miss St, the best I see us finishing is 5-7. Even with a 6-6 or 7-5 record, IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE. Gus was a excellent OC but he is not head coach material.

War Eagle.....

Just now, steeleagle said:

Huh? How can Gus not be the problem too, and ofc for different reasons? Our play, our plans, our recruiting is ALL on the current coaches. 

Yes, JJ has problems too with his now record of coaching hires..but to say Gus is not the problem? Come on...

OK.  I miss spoke.  But like the saying goes, "Don't kill the messenger".  Gus is clearly out of his league but Jacobs hired him.  He hired Chizik.  He hired Lebo and Barbee.  I wasn't trying to defend Gus, but I would just assume keep Gus if Jacobs is left in charge to hire another coach.  However, Gus is our coach with a big buyout because of Jacobs.  Jacobs chose both Chizik and Malzahn over Gary Patterson.

To quote Mr. Miyagi  "No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do. "

No such thing as bad coach.  Only bad AD.  AD idiot, Coach Idiot!

Its ok. lol.. Most here like CGM, but JJ has shown in this big world of athletics, his track record is not good in the major sports.

But comparing Mr Miyagi is stretching it. He did teach a young boy the tools of competing. JJ has NOTHING to do with CGM's ability to coach on the field. If anything, JJ has given him the resources (asst coaches, salaries, upgrades to recruiting facilities, etc). But CGM's teachings came from others, not an AD.

Most of us here were happy with CGM hire, based on his time here as OC and after his first year, it looked even better.

And other than Patterson, i'm not sure the timing was good for other big name, Power 5 coaches to hire back then. 

But nothing is a sure thing in anything..and we have learned CGM is having trouble fitting his recruits into his offensive philosophy with winning and success. It seems it all boils down to needing a TOP level QB to be successful.

Archived