Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Again... not how business works.  80% of my bosses over the years haven't been qualified to do my job, but if they tell me to change something, I have to change it. Same goes for Gus.  If they tell him that he has to change his offensive staff, he has to change it.  That kind of thing happens every year with coaches.  They sit down with their AD and the AD says that they are going to make X changes, and they make those changes.

Now... as to whether Jacobs has the cajones to do it... that's another story, but hopefully if he doesn't, someone will replace him who does.

Changing offense staff is different & I agree on that but we were talking about Gus' game planning & play calling not staff management. Outside of Jerry Jones I have never heard of an AD or Pro owner ever get involved with Gam planning or play calling like that with a HC.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Well here is a benefit for Kendall Briles . Gus gets canned and they promote him to HC.  Not likely, but Kendall is a young up and coming coach with a great attitude. 

So more of the same ole crap of us having to go through a wet behind the ears head coach learning on the job, that has NO clue to to run a Power 5 football program in the strongest conference in the nation?

NO THANKS! 

Auburn pays top shelf salaries, and by God they should hire a top shelf Head Coach with experience and a record of winning football games as a HC.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

It does not look like JJ will be making the next hire.

So, you're saying there will be a complete purge?:hellyeah:

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

He's an employee... you don't have to wait for him to listen to reason. You tell him what to do.  He's not Nick Saban with a "total control" contract.

Jacobs can force Gus to release Rhett and hire another OC.  Jacobs is his boss, but he is not qualified to dictate what type of offensive scheme Gus runs, or tell him what plays to call and which personnel on the roster should be playing.  

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Jacobs can force Gus to release Rhett and hire another OC.  Jacobs is his boss, but he is not qualified to dictate what type of offensive scheme Gus runs, or tell him what plays to call and which personnel on the roster should be playing.  

Correct... but he can be told to hire an OC and let said OC run the offense.  I mean, Jacobs could dictate whatever he wanted, but we'd be in a bigger mess than we are now if he started trying to run the details.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Thank you.

The problem I have with Gus is he doesn't seem to trust his "smash mouth" approach anymore;  he doesn't seem to believe we can line up against teams and beat them, so the only way we can win is to trick them (see Clemson). The only offense he is capable of running is the zone -read or one with a lot of trick plays, and that doesn't bode well. Part of the problem goes back to our o-line I'm sure. But is that a development problem or a talent evaluation problem? Probably both 

5 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

The problem I have with Gus is he doesn't seem to trust his "smash mouth" approach anymore;  he doesn't seem to believe we can line up against teams and beat them, so the only way we can win is to trick them (see Clemson). The only offense he is capable of running is the zone -read or one with a lot of trick plays, and that doesn't bode well. Part of the problem goes back to our o-line I'm sure. But is that a development problem or a talent evaluation problem? Probably both 

Did you see our O-Line last week?  We can't line up against a lot teams and beat them smash mouth style.  The question with our O-Line is, is it the players, the conditioning, or the coaching that is the problem? 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Hiring a young(ish) OC to be our HC is already our current problem. The next hire will have to be someone with proven HC experience. 

Good point. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Did you see our O-Line last week?  We can't line up against a lot teams and beat them smash mouth style.  The question with our O-Line is, is it the players, the conditioning, or the coaching that is the problem? 

Did Malzahn run Grimes off? Hand has so far proven to be a downgrade.

The next urban meyer, david shaw, hugh freeze is out there coaching right now at a smaller school.  Look no further than PJ Fleck.  Western Michigan just beat two big 10 teams on the road.  He is young, energetic, great head coach and would be an elite recruiter in the SEC.  He will be the next house hold name in terms of college football coaches.  

3 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

BINGO - You can't line up and beat any team when your oline gets blown up and the QB has to make a play in a split second or end up on his back.

3 minutes ago, Lucy123 said:

The next urban meyer, david shaw, hugh freeze is out there coaching right now at a smaller school.  Look no further than PJ Fleck.  Western Michigan just beat two big 10 teams on the road.  He is young, energetic, great head coach and would be an elite recruiter in the SEC.  He will be the next house hold name in terms of college football coaches.  

He has almost no experience with big-time college programs.  It would be a dice-roll at best to move him straight into the SEC.

Side note: you may want to table Freeze as an example.  The jury is still out on whether or not he had to cheat to get to where he is.

10 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

No one seems to really know for sure. Apparently he was offered an off field position.  Whether that was because they were concerned about his health or Gus wanted Hand and pushed him out is a matter of debate. I agree on the downgrade... but at the same time, he's working with less talent and guys who know more than me have said that Smith is better this year.

19 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

If he stayed he was going to be asked to take an off field position. Gus was not happy Grimes did not make a harder run at 2016 5* legacy OT Jonah Williams and generally felt Grimes could  not put the hours needed to recruit given the health issues he was dealing with at the time.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He has almost no experience with big-time college programs.  It would be a dice-roll at best to move him straight into the SEC.

Side note: you may want to table Freeze as an example.  The jury is still out on whether or not he had to cheat to get to where he is.

I hear what you are saying on freeze.   Bottomline is the auburn brass needs to decide whether they want to compete with the big boys or be content with mediocrity.  I honestly don't see the AU administration opening up the check book and going after a really big name coach.   With that said.....going after a coordinator is not the answer....so why not an up and coming hot shot with head coaching experience?

1 hour ago, Lucy123 said:

I hear what you are saying on freeze.   Bottomline is the auburn brass needs to decide whether they want to compete with the big boys or be content with mediocrity.  I honestly don't see the AU administration opening up the check book and going after a really big name coach.   With that said.....going after a coordinator is not the answer....so why not an up and coming hot shot with head coaching experience?

You might be right, but our current coach is in the upper echelon of coaching salaries, so I don't see us shelling out for the right guy as too far fetched.  I do see us landing the right guy with some of the stipulations that the powers that be lay on them as more of a concern. 

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That's what I want to know,  but it's only part of the equation. Even if we have a good O-Line, would Gus trust anyone other than a running back to plays? 

3 hours ago, keesler said:

BINGO - You can't line up and beat any team when your oline gets blown up and the QB has to make a play in a split second or end up on his back.

Agreed.  Definitely doesn't help Gus, but the question is, why do we seem to have O-line problems more often than not now? Is it player evals or coaching?

3 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Agreed.  Definitely doesn't help Gus, but the question is, why do we seem to have O-line problems more often than not now? Is it player evals or coaching?

No way every one of these lineman are a bust. It's coaching.

Archived