Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

12 minutes ago, Charhair said:

We can only hope that if a new coach is the direction we go in that we are after someone as big as Chip. Crazy to think we beat him 6 years ago and now he'd be a huge upgrade on one of the most important reasons we even faced him.

oh well

I know. Its crazy... But he would in fact be a HUGE improvement. Think about it. He took Oregon to the pinnacle of the football mountain with mainly 3* players. With a few 4*s and even less 5* recruits. Imagine what he could do with the players we bring into the fold...

7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I would have no issue whatsoever with Chip Kelly having the keys to the Ferrari.  That said, I will not be holding my breath.

Me either, but stranger things have happened. I mean it wouldnt be easy to get him. But it wasn't easy for Bama to get Saban or for Michigan to get Harbaugh. But they got them. And those 2 were INSTANT difference makers. We need to do whatever it takes. And I'm serious when I say we hand him a blank check and MAKE HIM say no and force him to call security because we refuse to leave. 

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my reservation about Chip.

Chip, like Malzahn, is a scheme guy. Kelly did well in his first year in the NFL, but he quickly bombed once people figured out his scheme. Gus had a great first year here but other teams have since figured the scheme out. While Kelly might be an upgrade, he and Malzahn are still the same type of coach.

I haven't read any of this and don't want to.  I will probably have to take another extended break from this site fo my own personal sanity and sense of peace. :pcprobs: Here are my feelings on the subject, even after that miserable game.

I don't want to be that fan base, like Tennessee, that wants to throw every coach out. They sent moving vans to Phil Fulmer's house, then look what happened to them. They had years of miserable seasons. I am willing to give Gus some time. He's recruiting very well. We now have solid connections with high schools. We seem to have a good staff, with good reputations. For the most part, our kids are great kids. And we are running a clean program. Let's be patient for a little while longer. All this negativity only hurts the team.

All this does not mean I am happy with losing. I am pretty disgusted. But to call for the coaches head at this point in the season is premature in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Miss State doesn't even want him.

Good.  MSU apparently doesn't appreciate a man who has finally given them a winning program.  He'll go where he's appreciated for his skills.

2014:  With Moo State's insufficient resources, DM took them to the #1 spot (beating AU, LSU and aTm).  Moo State had a 10-3 record and ranked #7.  That season MS's recruiting class ranked #35.  AU under GM ?  8-5 record, ranked #19 and had a #8 recruiting class.

2015:  MSU had a 9-4 record, unranked.  #18 recruiting class.  AU under GM had a 7-5 record, unranked and a #8 recruiting class.

Mullen has done more with MSU's low-ranked recruiting than Malzahn has with his excellent recruiting at AU.

Btw, from 2009-2015, Mullen has a record of 55-35 at MSU, 61% win-loss.  Tuberville had a 26-19 record at Ole Miss, a 58% win-loss.  Mullen did better than Tubbs and has a longer head coaching record in the SEC than Tubbs, Chizik and Malzahn put together when they came to AU.  DM is now in his 8th season as HC at MSU.  Tubbs had 4 seasons as a SEC HC, Chizik only 2 (not in the SEC) and Malzahn only 1 (not in the SEC).

Mullen has done far better than Malzahn has with the inferior tools given him.  Malzahn has wasted his excellent resources.

Mullen is the up and comer we want who has solid head coaching credentials. Coaching in his 8th season as HC at MSU shows a sense of permanence to me.

I'm not ready to put Gus on the hot seat yet. If he goes the whole year without learning that he's not supposed to stop doing what's working, then I will begin to question, but I certainly trust the process right now. We have not lost the season: an LSU game win will mean 3-2 heading to starkville, who is not a good team. See 2007 and 2013 as examples of a season turning around on a dime. Trust the process, and let's get behind the boys for the season. 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm not ready to put Gus on the hot seat yet. If he goes the whole year without learning that he's not supposed to stop doing what's working, then I will begin to question, but I certainly trust the process right now. We have not lost the season: an LSU game win will mean 3-2 heading to starkville, who is not a good team. See 2007 and 2013 as examples of a season turning around on a dime. Trust the process, and let's get behind the boys for the season. 

Gus was already on the hot seat during the 2014 season.  In 2015 he should have fired Lashlee.  He didn't.  That increased the heat under him but he chose to not feel it.  In 2016, it's all on him.  Unless he pulls out a miracle, which I doubt, he should be fired, but he won't be fired, unfortunately.  Unless he turns it around in 2017 he'll be gone for sure.

24 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

What process are you talking about?

You are giving Gus waaay too much credit.  He has no idea what he's doing; he's living in his own world...one in which a FB lining up at QB and a triple QB system "make sense".  He's toast.  We're in game 4 and we've completely opened up the QB debacle again.

Can't believe people watch that PITIFUL offensive effort and think we should stand with Gus...we owe him nothing...he's gotten rich off of us...time to go...

1 minute ago, 1913-14 said:

Can't believe people watch that PITIFUL offensive effort and think we should stand with Gus...we owe him nothing...he's gotten rich off of us...time to go...

what this idea: instead of firing doublebubble and having to pay the ridiculous buyout, let goober jacobs cut a deal with the comedy channel to broadcast all of our home games, like nbc does with notre dame

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I know. Its crazy... But he would in fact be a HUGE improvement. Think about it. He took Oregon to the pinnacle of the football mountain with mainly 3* players. With a few 4*s and even less 5* recruits. Imagine what he could do with the players we bring into the fold...

Me either, but stranger things have happened. I mean it wouldnt be easy to get him. But it wasn't easy for Bama to get Saban or for Michigan to get Harbaugh. But they got them. And those 2 were INSTANT difference makers. We need to do whatever it takes. And I'm serious when I say we hand him a blank check and MAKE HIM say no and force him to call security because we refuse to leave. 

I think this is the problem with college football now. The early success that coaches like Meyer and Saban have had, has created a cancer in other programs especially programs in those conferences. It seems like every fan base wants instant success with or without a firm foundation to build a successful program. I understand how much money is involved in college football but we still have to have patience and reasoning. Yes, I'm disappointed in Gus and the result on the field but how can we expect the team to be successful and buy in to a coach and his philosophy when our own fan base is calling for his head midway through September. If the downward trend continues then yes moves need to be made but good lord can we get to November before we start deciding whether or not Gus needs to go.

Auburn missed it's chance on a great college coach before Gus. One that had major baggage, was a disgrace to his former University, would have given the Gumps major ammunition, but I was willing to take a chance. I thought he had paid a huge price, would probably live a clean life from now on and would build a fantastic football team again - 

Bobby Petrino

But most AU fans did not want him. I understand well, but I think he is doing what I said - living clean and building a terrific football team in Louisville Cardinals. Beating FSU 63-20 and it could have ben worse. They will probably jump into the top 5 this week.

Maybe it is not too late.

When Gus addresses and fixes one area, another tends to fall apart...he should not be head coaching right now...he can't manage all the parts of a team.

Every year when he addresses one thing, then another huge weakness rears its head.  2014 it was the D, last year it was the QB position, this year I feel like it's the OL.  That flows into recruiting too...he ignores positions then after 2 or 3 years loads up on one position.  You can't sustain success that way.

2 minutes ago, TucsonTiger said:

Replying to my comment -  I don't think there is anyway AU can ever get Petrino now. We missed the boat again JJ!

I think we can get whoever we want to get (Saban, etc not included).  Bruce Pearl hire proved that.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I think we can get whoever we want to get (Saban, etc not included).  Bruce Pearl hire proved that.

No.  Bruce Pearl was getting out of NCAA jail and had very little leverage so he was a gift NCAA violation angel that landed in GOB Jay Jacobs' lap.  The Petrino jet has crashed twice, Briles is totally despicable human being for he allowed to happen and ignored at Baylor, we would probably be about 4th on Herman's list, so we are going to get someone like Kevin Steele, Jeff Brohm, Will Muschamp, Rodney Garner, D Craig while Jay Jacobs is still AD.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

So an LSU win counts as 2 wins? We are currently 1-2 and play LSU next week. I would say it's a good thing at home but since we have such an awesome streak at home, it's not really a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Petrino. 

[/thread]

NOPE, at this very moment in time, it will cost between 19-20 million dollars to get petrino, with doublebubbles buyout and petrinos buyout at louisville....we had the chance to get him, cheap and goober hired gus

Just now, tombigbeetiger said:

NOPE, at this very moment in time, it will cost between 19-20 million dollars to get petrino, with doublebubbles buyout and petrinos buyout at louisville....we had the chance to get him, cheap and goober hired gus

$$ can't be an issue. That's the only thing that explains double bubble's ridiculous buyout in the first place.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I still say we should get to San Fransisco yesterday and force Chip Kelly to rip up a blank check and call security on us because we won't leave or take no for an answer.

Chip Kelly is in Charotte today, you want me to run down and talk to him?

11 minutes ago, tgr4life said:

Everyone can make fun of me but this is how I feel. I don't really give a damn if we win as long as we play our guts out and leave it all on the field and our coaches and players work as hard as they can and conduct themselves with class and be respectful. I would like to think we are not the cutthroat win or die business known as Alabama football. We will NEVER fully compete with them on all levels. That's just the way it is. We don't have the numbers. We don't have enough redneck support. We're not gonna win 612 more NCs to catch up with what they claim. We're never gonna be the media darling they are. Sick of AU fans that can't see this. I don't pull for AU for that. I would like to think we're a little more special. That coaches and players who decide to come here would experience a love and support and loyalty they can't get anywhere else. That we just want them to work their butts off and represent AU well. Do we really wanna be like bammers who were starting to gripe during 1st half yesterday about a coach who's won them 4 NCs in 7 years? I've been an AU fan over 40 years but I don't think this younger iPhone generation gets it 

LOL, our football program IS just as cut throat as spuat, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, Clemson, etc.  We just suck at it right now.

wde

35 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

At the time, Petrino would have been a much more polarizing hire than he would be now (and he probably still would be).  The anti-Petrino crowd in coach search threads was quite vocal.  Personally, I would have accepted him then, and I would now.  Petrino was never going to be the choice that the search committee came back with though.  I think Gus was their primary target from the outset.

I thought gus was a good selection at the time.  I thought it would be very hard for us to beat the turds and corndogs at their own game (pro style).  I can admit when I was wrong.  I am done.  Watching this offense reminds me of the last days of tiny terry.  painful.

Archived