Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AUwent said:

It's definitely nowhere near Lashlee's fault, but do you think a major part of the problem is Gus having "yes men" all around him? It's looking like Arky St will fire its coach, so I wonder if we could send Lashlee and the offensive coaching staff over there, hire Kendall Briles, and give him full control over the offense? The only problem would be making sure Gus has incentive to let Briles have that control.

I still feel like this team has too much talent to be down for too many years. Somehow I think we have another really good season before the 2010s end.

I don't think it matters if they are yes men or not. Gus has continually proven he's going to do what he wants & not care what people around him think in terms of offensive football.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

And let's not kid ourselves here. You are delusional if you think Jay Jacobs is going to hire anyone other than Kevin Greene to replace Gus.

It does not look like JJ will be making the next hire.

On 9/17/2016 at 10:40 PM, selias said:

Sorry, I'm not on the Art Briles train either. I can look past extramarital affairs like Petrino. I cannot get past the coverup of sexual assaults.

I agree. I am not a Briles fan. The SEC puts way more pressure on coaches and Briles couldn't handle making hard decisions like that. Also Baggage really speaks to recruits and their parents. They trust coaches to hold kids accountable. 

I'm thinking the handwriting will be on the wall for either Gus or Les when the dust settles on Saturday.  I doubt either school lets them go in the middle of the season unless the loser just voluntarily quits but one of them is passing the point of no return.  

There seems to be some speculation that Gus will survive, and that he'll sacrifice Lashlee and bring in Kendall Briles for OC. Honestly, why would Briles want to come to AU knowing that Gus is under the gun, and also knowing that Gus is going to do it his way, regardless of what he's being advised by those he hired to advise him? Wasn't there this speculation that bringing in Herb Hand was going to help Gus? So far, I don't think any of us see any difference Hand is making, either advising Gus or coaching the OL. Hand, like Lashlee, is one of Gus' "good ole boys," much the same as Tubs had his "BBQ gang." We all got upset when D. Craig left to go to the same position at LSU, but maybe---just maybe---Craig saw the writing on the wall and bailed when he had the chance. 

9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

At this time,AU does not have a QB.   We don't know what JF3 can do because he really hasn't been put in a situation to show that he can throw.    What we have seen is that he can run.   In order for AU to win against the remaining teams, is to let him run the offense.   The entire offense, not just zone read.   Live and die with him.  He is going to make mistakes but I believe he will also make plays.   

Jeremy Johnson - 4 star - 6'5" 234  Senior (AL High School POY 2012)

John Franklin - 4 star - 6'1" 186 Junior (JUCO AA, ACC 4x100 meter champion)

Devin Adams - 3 star - 6'2" 248 Junior (Won HS state championship)

Sean White - 4 star - 6'0" 200 - Sophomore (2013 Elite 11 MVP)

Tyler Queen - 3 star - 6'1" 236 R-Freshman (son of HS Head Coach)

Woody Barrett - 4 star - 6'2" 238 Freshman (2015 Under Armour AA)

Seriously?  We've got one of every flavor, size, style, you name it.  We've got quarterbacks.  If we not, either we don't have a QB talent evaluator or a QB developer.  This is not the issue.  What we have is an incestuous bastardization of the OC/HC.  At the very least Gus has got to let or force Rhett to move on and bring in someone who can make Malzahn let go of the offense.

16 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Jeremy Johnson - 4 star - 6'5" 234  Senior (AL High School POY 2012)

John Franklin - 4 star - 6'1" 186 Junior (JUCO AA, ACC 4x100 meter champion)

Devin Adams - 3 star - 6'2" 248 Junior (Won HS state championship)

Sean White - 4 star - 6'0" 200 - Sophomore (2013 Elite 11 MVP)

Tyler Queen - 3 star - 6'1" 236 R-Freshman (son of HS Head Coach)

Woody Barrett - 4 star - 6'2" 238 Freshman (2015 Under Armour AA)

Seriously?  We've got one of every flavor, size, style, you name it.  We've got quarterbacks.  If we not, either we don't have a QB talent evaluator or a QB developer.  This is not the issue.  What we have is an incestuous bastardization of the OC/HC.  At the very least Gus has got to let or force Rhett to move on and bring in someone who can make Malzahn let go of the offense.

How does an assistant that Gus himself hires come in and then make Gus let go of anything?

Well here is a benefit for Kendall Briles . Gus gets canned and they promote him to HC.  Not likely, but Kendall is a young up and coming coach with a great attitude. 

42 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Well here is a benefit for Kendall Briles . Gus gets canned and they promote him to HC.  Not likely, but Kendall is a young up and coming coach with a great attitude. 

Hiring a young(ish) OC to be our HC is already our current problem. The next hire will have to be someone with proven HC experience. 

If and when this happens...start at the top.  It worked for ohio state and bama.  Start with the best coach money can buy and work our way down the list.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Then why have an OC?  Rhett Lashlee as Auburn OC is an absolute joke.

Rhett Lashlee is here to assist Gus as an OC by doing the things Gus wants done, the way he wants them done.  That is why he brought him here with him, he is both a trusted assistant and a protege.  I am not saying that I agree with it, or that it is wise.

Gus is the OC, and is probably always going to be the OC wherever he is a head coach.  The only way an outside OC comes in here and does his thing is if Gus is ordered to do so by his boss, the AD.  If that sort of thing happens, everyone's days are numbered.

14 hours ago, Strychnine said:

That is the kind of thing a desperate person does when in over their head.

I think you nailed it right there. Everywhere he's been he was either bringing something new that no one had seen, or stacked with superior talent.  Now that he's having to deal with a team that is missing a couple of pieces and a league who has seen all of his tricks, he's not sure how to adapt.

Might a regime change at the top (i.e. Gogue retiring and Jacobs possibly actually being gone this time <fingerscrossed>) be the wake up call Gus needs? See, if Saban had the same attitude Gus has right now a few years ago and wanted to stick with the old-school, pound-it-out style of football, I guarantee that UAT would have suffered a bit of a decline over the last couple of years.

It's so frustrating because I feel like we're so close to having a good team, yet this is what we're relegated to because of some very large egos at the top. If either Bob Stoops or Les Miles get fired after this season, would y'all take them? They ARE proven coaches. As uncomfortable a prospect as Briles is, there are those who seem to believe he was treated unfairly.

Also--what does our starting lineup on the OL possibly look like next year? Are Trowel and Brahms expected to be back to full health by the time they sign (hopefully with us)? Ashley will hopefully stick with us. It seems obvious that Leff and Dampeer are unfit, so who would be good replacements for them this season? Granted, it seems Herb Hand is a pretty bad coach.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Might a regime change at the top (i.e. Gogue retiring and Jacobs possibly actually being gone this time <fingerscrossed>) be the wake up call Gus needs?

It would be more likely Gus gets canned after that unless we turn it around in a hurry now.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It would be more likely Gus gets canned after that unless we turn it around in a hurry now.

I think every effort will be made to not fire Gus and make him either change his offensive personnel or quit. No one in the AD wants to pay another big payout.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think every effort will be made to not fire Gus and make him either change his offensive personnel or quit. No one in the AD wants to pay another big payout.

If big money donors do the heavy lifting on the buyout like they are capable of then that would be a nonissue if JJ is already gone.

Just now, ellitor said:

Big money donors will do the heavy lifting on the buyout so it looks like that would be a nonissue if JJ is already gone.

Then there's the other issue.  Steele seems to have the D functioning like the haven't in years, Garner is still rocking it on recruiting and coaching, T-Will seems to be the real deal, Horton is still a stud.  You fire Gus, you could lose all of them and not just the coaches you want to lose.  Plus you risk losing pieces of a very promising young team.  On the other hand, keep Gus and force the change in OC/offensive staff and you keep all of the good coaches and the players.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Then there's the other issue.  Steele seems to have the D functioning like the haven't in years, Garner is still rocking it on recruiting and coaching, T-Will seems to be the real deal, Horton is still a stud.  You fire Gus, you could lose all of them and not just the coaches you want to lose.  Plus you risk losing pieces of a very promising young team.  On the other hand, keep Gus and force the change in OC/offensive staff and you keep all of the good coaches and the players.

Those are risks you have to take IMO if we don't turn things around. Can't wait for Gus to do something he has not done in 4 or 5 years which is listen to reason when concerning offensive strategy & game planning.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Those are risks you have to take IMO if we don't turn things around. Can't wait for Gus to do something he has not done in 4 or 5 years which is listen to reason when concerning offensive strategy & game planning.

He's an employee... you don't have to wait for him to listen to reason. You tell him what to do.  He's not Nick Saban with a "total control" contract.

Posted this on the other thread. If I'm the new coach, I take a long look at keeping the defensive staff. I understand that new coaches like their own people, but there's a lot to be said for continuity in terms of recruiting, morale, and player development.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He's an employee... you don't have to wait for him to listen to reason. You tell him what to do.  He's not Nick Saban with a "total control" contract.

The problem with that is JJ nor anyone in the AD above Gus is qualified as a coach to tell Gus stuff like that. Also JJ is not Jerry Jones of the Cowboys & therefore won't do it anyway.

17 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Posted this on the other thread. If I'm the new coach, I take a long look at keeping the defensive staff. I understand that new coaches like their own people, but there's a lot to be said for continuity in terms of recruiting, morale, and player development.

However the only ones that truly look like they are actively being developed is T-Will's LBs. Garner is a great recruiter but as @AUIH1  has said many times & I'm finally getting it, a developer he is not.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The problem with that is JJ nor anyone in the AD above Gus is qualified as a coach to tell Gus stuff like that. Also JJ is not Jerry Jones of the Cowboys & therefore won't do it anyway.

Again... not how business works.  80% of my bosses over the years haven't been qualified to do my job, but if they tell me to change something, I have to change it. Same goes for Gus.  If they tell him that he has to change his offensive staff, he has to change it.  That kind of thing happens every year with coaches.  They sit down with their AD and the AD says that they are going to make X changes, and they make those changes.

Now... as to whether Jacobs has the cajones to do it... that's another story, but hopefully if he doesn't, someone will replace him who does.

Archived