So, what if...

Charhair

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I absolutely believe you about the wheels being in motion, etc.

I'm wondering how "we" as fans would feel about keeping him after said mythical turnaround?

Lot's of us (me included) feel like he's a liability (at worst) or dead weight (at best).  But I wonder if that scenario would truly change "our" perception & feelings.

He makes the turn around and we have to believe that Gus was actually holding him back.  I would hope that would make most people happy, since Gus is really pretty good at the whole head coach thing and that would give us a good head coach, a good offensive coordinator, a good defensive coordinator, and A LOT to look forward to for years to come.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

He makes the turn around and we have to believe that Gus was actually holding him back.  I would hope that would make most people happy, since Gus is really pretty good at the whole head coach thing and that would give us a good head coach, a good offensive coordinator, a good defensive coordinator, and A LOT to look forward to for years to come.

This would be a great outcome. In the sense of continuity, recruiting (Gatewood) and of course the team's final results. 

I just feel like even if Lashlee turns it around, the consensus feeling that he and gus are washed up, offensively, is going to be enough to have him removed. Much like the LSU and les situation, as far as the fan bases feelings go

5 minutes ago, Charhair said:

This would be a great outcome. In the sense of continuity, recruiting (Gatewood) and of course the team's final results. 

I just feel like even if Lashlee turns it around, the consensus feeling that he and gus are washed up, offensively, is going to be enough to have him removed. Much like the LSU and les situation, as far as the fan bases feelings go

Ah, but that's the thing about football.  It's a BIG money sport and Auburn isn't going to want to deal with the legal ramifications of a coach being kicked to the curb after succeeding.  That's why every time you see a coach leave a program when they haven't done anything egregiously wrong, it's always stated that they chose to leave or, even more often, they go somewhere else (see Ted Roof). 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus has not proven to pretty good at the the whole head coach thing yet.  In fact, based on how he is handling this situation, tells me he still has a ways to go before he is a good HC.  It is insulting that Gus hired his yes man as OC/QB coach when all Rhett has done has been just a figure head with an obnoxiously inflated salary until now.

wde

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/head_to_head_ulm_vs_auburn_pre.html#incart_river_index

Scarbinsky seems to think Gus will be around next year. 

If the offense continues to progress and we end up with 8 or more wins. We would be returning a ton of starters and youth and I would be very excited about next season with this coaching staff.

11 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/head_to_head_ulm_vs_auburn_pre.html#incart_river_index

Scarbinsky seems to think Gus will be around next year. 

If the offense continues to progress and we end up with 8 or more wins. We would be returning a ton of starters and youth and I would be very excited about next season with this coaching staff.

I think Gus is going to be around next year because the University doesn't want to pay him off and he can easily fix what's broken with a new OC.  I also think he's generally liked, which doesn't hurt his cause.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Is holding back your OC (assuming he is better as OC after you aren't holding him back) really a good trait in a HC?

I don't think Lashlee is a good OC, but I think this offense can be decent if it isn't handicapped by asinine schemes and hard-headed play calling.  So, if Lashlee is willing to listen to his other offensive coaches, and incorporates more lucid schemes and play calls into his game plan, then we could see a lot of improvement in the offense just because they aren't shackled with un-executable plays and schemes.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I don't think Lashlee is a good OC, but I think this offense can be decent if it isn't handicapped by asinine schemes and hard-headed play calling.  So, if Lashlee is willing to listen to his other offensive coaches, and incorporates more lucid schemes and play calls into his game plan, then we could see a lot of improvement in the offense just because they aren't shackled with un-executable plays and schemes.

I'm with you 100%.  I was just speaking to 72's what if scenario. I still think Lashlee has been given the figurative reigns in order to setup his departure, one way or another, because the school doesn't want to pay Gus off, but they want a new offense, and we aren't going to see a huge difference in the overall offense.

As @keesler is known to frequently say, Gus is a head coach in training, in many ways, but he's done a pretty darn good job with the CEO aspects of the position, minus a few notable question marks. A change in offense is just the latest in a number of lessons that, if he learns it, he will continue to grow and succeed, and if he doesn't, he'll be back to the FCS.

I hope Rhett does extremely well from here on out. I also hope he leaves and continues to do well. For his own sake not anyone here. No idea wtf is replacing him. 

Archived