Daniel Carlson interview

KerryThachWDE

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

My 11-year old son has gotten into the habit of referring to Carlson as 'Legatron'.  Not sure where he picked that one up from, but it's apt.

Dangit!  I'm outta likes.  *Like*

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Daniel's brother (Anders) is one heck of a kicker from everything I've heard and sen about him. I'm glad he's committed to us for 2017.

Thought he was having a rough year?

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

My 11-year old son has gotten into the habit of referring to Carlson as 'Legatron'.  Not sure where he picked that one up from, but it's apt.

I think that nickname was actually started by the players in his first season. It's definitely been around a while.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely right.

Plus, AU used to be known for having great punters too.... seems to not be quite as good right now...

I remember watching Terry Daniel punt the ball to Mars...  Lewis Colbert could coffin kick with the best of them (and as I recall, he kicked with literally half a foot)... Steven Clark was a good one.

Terry Daniel was amazing. He could go out there and punt a 65 yarder blindfolded while kicking with his opposite leg. 

But Clark... He was special. He was to a college punter what Carlson is as a kicker. He just had that IT factor. When he punted it, you could almost bet the mortgage they would start their drive inside their own 20. From ANYWHERE on the field. We have sorley miseed that...

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I was at that game.  ...and I gotta say, though it ultimately was stupid for CJS to say those things about helium, I wondered if TD had a bionic leg.

Not only were they going 60 yards in the air, but they were the ugliest wounded ducks you ever saw!  He was kicking them that far with NO aerodynamics whatsoever.  That, alone, made the punts amazing!

I was too!!! 

And that was the 1st and last time I had heard of a coach seriously claim a team was cheating by using a ball filled with helium... LoL!!!

Then I remember either ESPN, Auburn, the SEC or someone (I truly think it was ESPN) had Daniel punt a couple balls for reference. He didnt know which ball was which and he punted the one filled with air farther than the helium ball.

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Yeah they have called him that for years as Lion said...but this past year...the announcers are calling him that on air. I don't get to listen to the AU network during the games. I watch on WatchESPN and its behind the radio broadcast that I have to use TuneIn radio to get. So I have to watch or listen to the AU Network. I chose to watch. Sometimes the announcers pain me. That old guy who couldn't get Kyle Davis' name right... Even when Jessie was saying the right name... He just gets to me, but its what I have to put up with living 3500 miles from Auburn, without cable... Anyway, the announcers have called him Legatron all season long on the national broadcasts.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Steven Clark was a good one.

I wish we could find a NCAA legal way to get Steven in there working with our current guys.  He still lives in Auburn and does kicking clinics around the Southeast.

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Then I remember either ESPN, Auburn, the SEC or someone (I truly think it was ESPN) had Daniel punt a couple balls for reference. He didnt know which ball was which and he punted the one filled with air farther than the helium ball.

That happened back when I was in school.  The physics department actually did full on tests and determined that a ball filled with helium actually was inferior, because the lower density effected the balls ability to spring back after being compressed by the force of the foot, reducing the amount of kinetic energy passed, and the more dense air filled ball also did more to fight the friction of the air it was passing through.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That happened back when I was in school.  The physics department actually did full on tests and determined that a ball filled with helium actually was inferior, because the lower density effected the balls ability to spring back after being compressed by the force of the foot, reducing the amount of kinetic energy passed, and the more dense air filled ball also did more to fight the friction of the air it was passing through.

Science win

Terry Daniels was also an incredible "self taught" golfer. he had a long ball that would rarely get 15 feet off the ground.  because of his disc issues, the nfl would not clear him medically even though he dominated the combine 3 years in a row.   Alan Doyle saw him hitting the ball one day and took him under his wing to teach him how to play golf.  his swing was identical to Alan's as a result.  he got into long drive competitions for a little bit, but gave it up for a medical devise sales position.  great guy!  huge guy (for a kicker)!  I would always pick him on my team for 4 man scrambles.  every long ball hole was won by him, and the worst we ever placed was second (approximately 15 tournaments).  my contribution was organizing the team.  I did well at that.  lol

Archived