Maybe it's a good thing Will Muschamp left

ReidMcLain

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With respect no it wasn't. Nobody in their right mind expected him to get a quality head coaching opportunity 1 year after his Florida debacle.

But really... did he get a "quality" head coaching opportunity???

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With respect no it wasn't. Nobody in their right mind expected him to get a quality head coaching opportunity 1 year after his Florida debacle.

I did not expect him to get another SEC head coaching opportunity 1 year removed from Florida, but I expected he would take a head coaching offer somewhere at the FBS level within a year or two.  Career-wise, working as a DC was not really going to help him at that point, since he was already known to be a good DC.  I considered it a given that he would only be at Auburn as long as he wanted to remain a DC, and thus short-term.  Expecting him to be at Auburn more than a year or two seemed unrealistic to me.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Depends on what you mean by quality, but I sure think it is. It's not Florida, Texas, USC, Michigan, etc. but its the kind of place where you can keep a job and keep folks happy if you are winning 8-9 games a year. I think of it like Virginia Tech. I'm not saying Will Muschamp is Frank Beamer, but with good recruiting and the right guys around him, he could have a great career there. 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Spurrier took USC to the SECCG twice. The rest of the East is still soft. It's familiar recruiting grounds for him. He probably won't have to deal with the meddling that he didn't enjoy at UT and UF and that he had to fight to not deal with at Auburn. All he has to be is "pretty good" and he'll be primed for a more high profile gig elsewhere. And, remember, this is Muschamp we're talking about. He wasn't going to get offered a Texas, or a USCw, or a Nebraska. 

Edit: Barnacle beat me to it

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Considering that it befuddled me that he would choose that program as his second chance at head coaching, I want to say no.  That said, it may not be that simple.  Spurrier teased South Carolina with unprecedented success.  If that turns into South Carolina investing more in the program, and being patient with Muschamp, it could turn out to have been a good decision for both parties.  The expectations at South Carolina are certainly lower than they are at Florida, but so is the allure of the program to recruits.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Spurrier took USC to the SECCG twice. The rest of the East is still soft. It's familiar recruiting grounds for him. He probably won't have to deal with the meddling that he didn't enjoy at UT and UF and that he had to fight to not deal with at Auburn. All he has to be is "pretty good" and he'll be primed for a more high profile gig elsewhere. And, remember, this is Muschamp we're talking about. He wasn't going to get offered a Texas, or a USCw, or a Nebraska. 

Only once, their loss to us in 2010.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Only once, their loss to us in 2010.

I hope you're happy. My fact checker just lost his job. 

Just kidding, it's been a long time coming. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope you're happy. My fact checker just lost his job. 

Just kidding, it's been a long time coming. 

I only remember that because it was bizarre that Spurrier's 2010 team was the one that got them to Atlanta for their sole appearance, and not any of the next three seasons which were all 11-2.

EDIT:  To further illustrate how bizarre it really was, consider this:  The three best teams in the entire history of South Carolina football were unable to win the SEC East, but all three of them beat the team that did.

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I only remember that because it was bizarre that Spurrier's 2010 team was the one that got them to Atlanta for their sole appearance, and not any of the next three seasons which were all 11-2.

Ahh, that's right. And crazy. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Barnacle beat me to it

I was more referring to the fact that South Carolina has developed the reputation of the school where good coaches go to die... Add in the fact that now they are recruiting against the "next best thing" program in the country and it makes it that much worse.  I guess my main point is that South Carolina was definitely in a "get what we can" situation and Muschamp was in a "take what I can get" situation when it came to head coaching positions.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Ahh, that's right. And crazy. 

I just edited the other post, to illustrate how crazy it was even further.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I just edited the other post, to illustrate how crazy it was even further.

Gulp.

Yeah, if I'm Spurrier, I'm thinking that golf sounds like a lot more fun, too. Unreal. 

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No offense taken...but with respect anyone who had watched Mushamp's career knew he would not stay more than a year or two....AU was a way station ...twice ....for his career ambitions.   He had been a DC ....twice already....wanted to be a HC.

His second DC job at Auburn was an ideal situation for him.  It looked like all that was between AU and another NC opportunity was a decent defense.  He could make a very good salary and also really boost his stock if Gus's offense and his defense took the team to the top.   His defense and Gus's offense....a match made in heaven it seemed.

HUGE miscalculation....turns out the offense totally stunk...and defense alone was not going to do it and he probably saw the next year as a duplicate of 2015 JMO.

I guess we will never know but I bet he had his name in the pot at several schools before the first season was over....and USCe was the first respectable school to give him a call since Vandy and UK were not in the market at the time.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I was more referring to the fact that South Carolina has developed the reputation of the school where good coaches go to die... Add in the fact that now they are recruiting against the "next best thing" program in the country and it makes it that much worse.  I guess my main point is that South Carolina was definitely in a "get what we can" situation and Muschamp was in a "take what I can get" situation when it came to head coaching positions.

My thought with South Carolina has always been:  if Steve Spurrier cannot make you a consistent top team in the SEC, you have issues beyond coaching.  Historically, South Carolina has seemed to be fine with that.  They have been irrelevant in the SEC since joining, and it took one of the best coaches in college football to make them something other than usually being an "automatic win" for SEC powers.  The unprecedented success that Spurrier had there may lead them to invest more in the football program.  Perhaps they used that to entice Muschamp.  I do not think Muschamp was necessarily in a "take what I can get" situation, as Auburn would have continued paying him handsomely to be the DC this season if he had not left.

Just now, Strychnine said:

I do not think Muschamp was necessarily in a "take what I can get" situation, as Auburn would have continued paying him handsomely to be the DC this season if he had not left.

I have had the impression, even when Muschamp was at Auburn, that he still fancied himself a head coach and he was going to jump at any Power Conference offer that came his way. 

38 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Considering that it befuddled me that he would choose that program as his second chance at head coaching, I want to say no.  That said, it may not be that simple.  Spurrier teased South Carolina with unprecedented success.  If that turns into South Carolina investing more in the program, and being patient with Muschamp, it could turn out to have been a good decision for both parties.  The expectations at South Carolina are certainly lower than they are at Florida, but so is the allure of the program to recruits.

This might be true with the exception of schools like Kansas, Rutgers, etc. Certainly any middle tier power conference team, like South Carolina, IMO. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes Carolina is a quality job in the grand scheme of college football just not a high quality job.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I did not expect him to get another SEC head coaching opportunity 1 year removed from Florida, but I expected he would take a head coaching offer somewhere at the FBS level within a year or two.  Career-wise, working as a DC was not really going to help him at that point, since he was already known to be a good DC.  I considered it a given that he would only be at Auburn as long as he wanted to remain a DC, and thus short-term.  Expecting him to be at Auburn more than a year or two seemed unrealistic to me.

Well  most connected in the college football world did not think he would even get an fbs head coaching opportunity one year removed from the Florida debacle. Furthermore and more telling is he didn't think hea would have that opportunity either. He thought he would have to be the DC at Auburn for 3 years before he got FBS head coaching opportunity again.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes Carolina is a quality job in the grand scheme of college football just not a high quality job.

Yeah...I guess so in the grand scheme of Power 5s ....and the next question is:   Will he become the next Lane Kiffen or Charlie Weiss?  CW must be raking in millions from all of his buy-outs......Kitten not as much. 

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well  most connected in the college football world did not think he would even get an fbs head coaching opportunity one year removed from the Florida debacle. Furthermore and more telling is he didn't think hea would have that opportunity either. He thought he would have to be the DC at Auburn for 3 years before he got FBS head coaching opportunity again.

It is indicative of how whacky college football has become.  5 years ago, I would not have believed that someone would get another SEC head coaching opportunity after failing to win at Florida (regardless of elapsed time), or that a coach with a record of 114-34 would be fired midseason without some sort of serious misconduct, or that a coach with a record of 145-51 would be fired after concluding an 8-3 season.  The only conventional wisdom I am beginning to see is that conventional wisdom has become irrelevant.

I expected he would not have to wait long for a power 5 job because the reality has become that the patience is short, the firings are fast, and there are only so many Tom Herman's to go around.

9 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

The only conventional wisdom I am beginning to see is that conventional wisdom has become irrelevant.

Boy howdy, ain't it the truth...

4 hours ago, Strychnine said:

It is indicative of how whacky college football has become.  5 years ago, I would not have believed that someone would get another SEC head coaching opportunity after failing to win at Florida (regardless of elapsed time), or that a coach with a record of 114-34 would be fired midseason without some sort of serious misconduct, or that a coach with a record of 145-51 would be fired after concluding an 8-3 season.  The only conventional wisdom I am beginning to see is that conventional wisdom has become irrelevant.

I expected he would not have to wait long for a power 5 job because the reality has become that the patience is short, the firings are fast, and there are only so many Tom Herman's to go around.

Kudos to you sir.

Archived