Men's Scrimmage 10/12/16

AUMASTERS

TJ Lang wasn't the first option but when Danjel Purifoy was covered, center LaRon Smith came out to the perimeter for an in-bounds pass.

Lang tossed it in to Smith, who immediately got it back to the junior guard and he buried it for a buzzer beater, one of two last second shots made during Auburn basketball's second intrasquad scrimmage on Wednesday night.

"I just had the easy job of hitting the open three," said Lang, who was a combined 3 for 6, all from behind the arc, during the four scrimmage periods. "I just try to stay ready. I've never been the type of guy to shy away from big moments like that.

"If it comes to me, and I have the opportunity to shoot it and they're counting on me, I feel confident I'm going to make it ever time."

True freshman point guard Jared Harper had the second buzzer beater of the night.

Harper had 18 points on 6 of 13 shooting, including 4 of 9 from 3-point range. He made a pair of 3-pointers to help lead his team, which was trailing, to a comeback win in the final scrimmage period.

"They got down 7-0 or whatever that was, and Jared knocked down two 3s late to win it," Pearl said. "He's a special player."

In all, Auburn's top 10 players combined to shoot 50 of 93 from the floor, including 13 of 37 from 3-point range, and made 26 of 30 free throws.

Pearl was happy to see his squad was balanced when he split up his top personnel.

"When we went best on best both games came down to a last second shot, which tells me that there's not a tremendous separation," he said, "because I kind of evened the teams out a little bit on both scrimmages and it ended up even. So it was good."

Through the first two weeks of preseason practices, the scoreboard inside Auburn basketball's practice gym has been lighting up at a rate not seen before.

Pearl said the Tigers, who are coming off a 11-20 season and have 10 newcomers, have been scoring over 100 points in their scrimmages so far.

With a lineup that will feature an undersized center, both Horace Spencer and Smith are 6-foot-8 and between 215-220 pounds, and four guards, Pearl believes he's got an athletic and deep enough team to vie for a postseason bid in his third season at the helm.

"I'm hoping that our style of play will bother opponents," he said. "But we've got to gang tackle, we've got to gang rebound. If we can shore some of that up, I think we're off to a pretty good start."

Watched some of the highlights floating around out there and am excited about some of the new guys coming in. We are small, but I think will be a fun team to watch. While I think it will be hard to settle on a starting five, we will play a lot of guys, so I'm not sure the starting five matters that much. We have more athletic wings on this team, than I can remember on any AU team, maybe ever. Not saying we will be the best AU team ever. 

50 of 93 from the floor, including 13 of 37 from 3-point range, and made 26 of 30 free throws.

I bet it's been a while since we hit 26 of 30 free throws; but the rest of the stats look good as well. If we continue to score over 100 even without a true big man, I like our chance's. 

FT is very positive as that is a big improvement from last few years. No doubt we have more quality players then we have had in a long time at Auburn. Now the big question is the Offense that good or is the Defense that bad. Since it is Auburn playing Auburn we don't know. Hopefully once SEC season rolls around we will find that the O is that good.

21 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

FT is very positive as that is a big improvement from last few years. No doubt we have more quality players then we have had in a long time at Auburn. Now the big question is the Offense that good or is the Defense that bad. Since it is Auburn playing Auburn we don't know. Hopefully once SEC season rolls around we will find that the O is that good.

The offense is damn good. The defense however we just don't know and won't know til Live Action starts.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I didn't like what I saw from the defense....in worried

I don't recall....does BP favor man to man?    What was he running during the practice?  

We will be a pressure defense that allows a good bit of points, but also turns other teams over to create fast break points. I would expect we play a lot of man with a lot of switching screens and ball denials. 

Should be a fun team to watch. I'm excited. 

10 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

We will be a pressure defense that allows a good bit of points, but also turns other teams over to create fast break points. I would expect we play a lot of man with a lot of switching screens and ball denials. 

Should be a fun team to watch. I'm excited. 

That may be more difficult to do this year with the new contact rules on traps and full court pressing. We will have to adjust. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

That may be more difficult to do this year with the new contact rules on traps and full court pressing. We will have to adjust. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I guess that started a year or so ago and seemed to benefit the offenses...lots more calling of fouls on bumping,  reach and grab defenses.   It could be that what appears to be questionable defenses are really just the results  of the rule/interpretation changes and how coaches have had to back off on really aggressive coverage.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I guess that started a year or so ago and seemed to benefit the offenses...lots more calling of fouls on bumping,  reach and grab defenses.   It could be that what appears to be questionable defenses are really just the results  of the rule/interpretation changes and how coaches have had to back off on really aggressive coverage.

The way Bruce talked yesterday SEC media days it sounds like it starts this year for traps and presses.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

The way Bruce talked yesterday SEC media days it sounds like it starts this year for traps and presses.

Could be that the players (and coaches) are going to get blamed for bad defense when actually, they are just trying to play within the new rules and interpretations.  Guess we will know more when we see some actual games and how other teams are handling the rules on contact.

I don't like the potential of the refs ruining traps and presses.......As if refs weren't trying to be the stars of the game already, this gives them more room to stop the game. 2 thumbs all the way DOWN

1 hour ago, weathergeakal said:

Is there any footage or either of the scrimmages?

Clips on Twitter from each day the scrimmages occurred.

Archived