Offensive Coordinator

ScubaSteve

8 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Does a new OC fix the problem ?

Would you be able to hire a Quality Offensive Coordinator when the Head Coach's seat is so hot he needs to be wearing Asbestos Boxers

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Would Horton be an option? 

I wonder of Lashlee takes Horton with him when/if he goes?

I hope to God no one on staff is promoted.  Need new perspective and serious passing game improvements.

2 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Top 10 talent doesn't matter if you can't utilize them appropriately (comment aimed at the offensive staff). 

This is true no doubt. However, you have to have the talent on board to win. Recruiting under Gus has been the best as far as I can remember going back a long, long time. I agree with you about proper utilization of the talent on hand. I do think our problems on offense can be fixed with the right coaching. We must get a new OC that can have us in the top 20 in all offensive categories year in and out.

what about Lincoln Riley as the new OC if we go that route?

Just now, doc4aday said:

could not see him leaving Oklahoma to come to Auburn. According to some articles I read, he may be up for head coaching positions. I could see Houston as an option.

Lets just fire Dr. Andrews. If all those players hadn't got hurt at the same time we'd have certainly beaten UGA and at least played a closer game against UAT if not won. It's the Doc's fault! Heads must roll!!!

PS: Gus is getting paid a bunch of $ to "meddle' in the offense. It's what he does. An OC won't be coming in here and running the offense without getting Gus's approval every small step of the way. No need to even dream along those lines. We need a healthy, capable QB a lot more than we need a new OC.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

This is true no doubt. However, you have to have the talent on board to win. Recruiting under Gus has been the best as far as I can remember going back a long, long time. I agree with you about proper utilization of the talent on hand. I do think our problems on offense can be fixed with the right coaching. We must get a new OC that can have us in the top 20 in all offensive categories year in and out.

I agree with the poster who said he doesn't think Riley will come to Auburn. B. Stoops was a DC under Spurrier before becoming a HC. Around these parts he's better known for letting his assistants coach. He "oversees" his program. I think Gus is quite the opposite. Plus Riley is a Big 12 guy. Played ball at Texas Tech. He does have OU's offense humming. Their defense is a different story. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lets just fire Dr. Andrews. If all those players hadn't got hurt at the same time we'd have certainly beaten UGA and at least played a closer game against UAT if not won. It's the Doc's fault! Heads must roll!!!

PS: Gus is getting paid a bunch of $ to "meddle' in the offense. It's what he does. An OC won't be coming in here and running the offense without getting Gus's approval every small step of the way. No need to even dream along those lines. We need a healthy, capable QB a lot more than we need a new OC.

No one minds fruitful meddling.

28 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Would you be able to hire a Quality Offensive Coordinator when the Head Coach's seat is so hot he needs to be wearing Asbestos Boxers

I'm not asking whether we are capable of hiring a new OC, but does hiring a new OC actually fix the problem ?  I don't see that hiring a new OC fixes our problem.  The issue lies with the HC.

Just now, Elephant Tipper said:

I'm not asking whether we are capable of hiring a new OC, but does hiring a new OC actually fix the problem ?  I don't see that hiring a new OC fixes our problem.  The issue lies with the HC.

Agree 100% Malzahn is the OC. You can put the title on another coach, but Malzhan controls the offense. We could hire Josh McDaniels and the problem would not be fixed.

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yeah...I'm sorry, I usually agree with the majority of your thoughts. But not this one. Gus is paid to win...period. Injuries happen to every team..the fact we have no answers to help when that occurs is a very ominous issue it appears. Every year it's that. Thank goodness SW was fairly competent last season to step in and unite the team when JJ had his mental dump. Meddling isn't an issue when it's correcting or remedying. When Gus meddles it appears that all he does is clam up and revert back to what we know doesn't work. It's madness. I love Gus as a person and think he represents the University well, but he should really heed some friendly advice. I'm well aware he's coached a long time at multiple levels, but us fans have watched and been part of a lot of football as well over the years. We see trends that ultimately result in certain circumstances that puts teams and coaches into adversity. It usually doesn't end well for either of them. Hopefully he senses the need for a fresh look and a new set of eyes to help with this s*** show we're watching unfold on Offense. WDE

5 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

Looks like Al Borges is available---his HC at San Jose St was just fired.

WDE!

Don't know if you are serious, but it made me laugh! :laugh:

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hand has been mentioned

I hate to hear that.  More of the same and a Gus yes man.  But, like most have said, it's not an OC problem, it's a HC problem.

I'd actually be intrigued with Tee Martin.  NO idea if he's a good OC, but I'd think he could recruit and be decent developing QB's.

Does anyone think Gus would just drop Rhett Lashlee? After the UGA game and Bama game where the offense looked the way it did, does anyone see a school that would go ... yea I want that... I don't know if I see any changes coming... I would like to get someone else but the plan was always to get him coaching somewhere else and I'm not sure that will happen after the way this season has ended.

4 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Does anyone think Gus would just drop Rhett Lashlee? After the UGA game and Bama game where the offense looked the way it did, does anyone see a school that would go ... yea I want that... I don't know if I see any changes coming... I would like to get someone else but the plan was always to get him coaching somewhere else and I'm not sure that will happen after the way this season has ended.

JMO but the biggest problem for RL to find another job is his current salary. 

Many / most Head Coaches at FCS schools don't make the money he is currently making at AU as an assistant.  He could take a cut like Gus did when he want to Arky State...but still, that's an issue and likely the reason that smaller schools are not showing interest. But guess that is something for his agent to overcome.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the biggest problem for RL to find another job is his current salary. 

Many / most Head Coaches at FCS schools don't make the money he is currently making at AU as an assistant.  He could take a cut like Gus did when he want to Arky State...but still, that's an issue and likely the reason that smaller schools are not showing interest. But guess that is something for his agent to overcome.

I just saw that Nevada fired its head coach.. could be a good place to go and start over..

10 hours ago, aufan57 said:

I don't think Gus's seat is very hot. Informed sources around here posted that the PTB stated 8 wins this year is a must. He won 8, in spite of a serious string of injuries to key personnel. We're second in the SEC and will be in a major New Year's day bowl, either Sugar or Citrus. That's the kind of season that gets you hired, not fired.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think Gus's seat is very hot. Informed sources around here posted that the PTB stated 8 wins this year is a must. He won 8, in spite of a serious string of injuries to key personnel. We're second in the SEC and will be in a major New Year's day bowl, either Sugar or Citrus. That's the kind of season that gets you hired, not fired.

Yeah, Gus will be back next year.  I'm hoping that he hires the right personnel to turn the offense around.  Especially a QB coach that can give our QBs the attention they deserve.

Rhett Lashlee will most likely leave on his own.  He has had interest from several schools including Georgia State, which actually I think is a great fit for him.  I don't think Rhett will take Horton with him to his school as that will likely be a downgrade of where he is today.

As far as Hand is concerned, that may be an option, but then we need to bring in a good QB coach.  I want Hand to stay no matter who we choose, because I am very pleased in the 11 months he has been here with the line.  Not only that, but I think we now have some quality depth as well.

In my unprofessional opinion, I think we need to make an outside hire to provide a refresh to Gus' offense.  Kind of like how car brands refresh their cars every few years, but don't completely re-do it.  Bring some new idea's and someone who really can speak with quarterbacks.  We are good with the offensive line and the running backs, and honestly I am happy with Kodi Burns as well.  Many may not agree, but the receivers really like him and trust him.  And that is all that matters in my book.

But if all of this does happen, I hope it happens sooner than later so we can pick up steam with recruitment (although we are doing pretty good already).

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Agree but no doubt whatsoever we have fans like some Tennessee folks I knew back in Fulmer's days at UTk ..praying for a really bad year so they could have an excuse to fire.  Finally they got that year and got rid of him.....and .....well, you know the rest. 

9 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Yeah, Gus will be back next year.  I'm hoping that he hires the right personnel to turn the offense around.  Especially a QB coach that can give our QBs the attention they deserve.

My thinking is that we need a QB more than we need a QB coach. A healthy Sean White or a Barrett that's ready for the SEC will do, or else find a grad transfer somewhere. As noted above by abw004, a good QB coach to sort of "refresh" things without trying to overhaul the whole offense would be a great addition.

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My thinking is that we need a QB more than we need a QB coach. A healthy Sean White or a Barrett that's ready for the SEC will do, or else find a grad transfer somewhere. As noted above by abw004, a good QB coach to sort of "refresh" things without trying to overhaul the whole offense would be a great addition.

I agree with post earlier in fact that I normally agree with your post Mickey, however not this one. Getting a new QB or healthy White or Barrett is really not going to fix the problem. The problem lies in play calling and the progression of the offense. Everyone knows what we are going to run by looking at the formation. There is no wrinkle put in that a different play can come out of that formation. Then when trouble hits he reverts back to a call he knows has not and will not work aka cox cat. I do believe we need a new OC/QB coach that can take our running game and merge in a good passing game. While we are at it teach our receivers how to block down field and have more than one route tree. 

4 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

I agree with post earlier in fact that I normally agree with your post Mickey, however not this one. Getting a new QB or healthy White or Barrett is really not going to fix the problem. The problem lies in play calling and the progression of the offense. Everyone knows what we are going to run by looking at the formation. There is no wrinkle put in that a different play can come out of that formation. Then when trouble hits he reverts back to a call he knows has not and will not work aka cox cat. I do believe we need a new OC/QB coach that can take our running game and merge in a good passing game. While we are at it teach our receivers how to block down field and have more than one route tree. 

Baylor does it. 

Gus has to evolve his offense or abandon it and give the keys over to a qualified OC/QB coach if he wants to be successful in the long term as HC.  The handful of plays we run with the occasional stupidity of putting a FB in the wildcat/Wing T just isn't going any where.  Way too simple and predictable.  

Archived