Kiffin off to Houston (Update: 12/9/16 Did not happen)

Charleston Tiger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

If the Kiffin to Houston rumor is true, any chance he'd go after K Briles as his OC? Could be a lot of things happening in the near future.

Wouldn't Stidham be worried about Kiffin hitting on his attractive girlfriend?

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Wouldn't Stidham be worried about Kiffin hitting on his attractive girlfriend?

Could Stidham request a non-compete clause in his scholarship? :dunno:

4 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

If the Kiffin to Houston rumor is true, any chance he'd go after K Briles as his OC? Could be a lot of things happening in the near future.

Yes but I'm not sure Stidham would follow to a non-P5 school.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Wonder if he will stay and call plays during the playoffs. 

I'm sure he will. I think every coach that has moved on stayed through the end of a Natty Title run.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm sure he will. I think every coach that has moved on stayed through the end of a Natty Title run.

Not Cutcliffe at Tennessee in 1998. He left before the game

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Not Cutcliffe at Tennessee in 1998. He left before the game

He gave up a NC ring to coach at Ole Miss a few weeks early?   :dunno:

16 hours ago, Charleston Tiger said:

USA Today has Kiffin heading to Houston... really hoping that Saban doesn't pull a Briles over now... That could REALLY screw us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2016/12/08/lane-kiffin-hired-houston-cougars/95128236/

Alabama is probably the only school that could get away with hiring him.

They'll never do it. Kiffin was too up tempo for them. 

You know a recruit is important when there is a rumor of a rival coach getting a job and maybe in the slightest hiring a recruits former coach and there is speculation about that recruit signing there. here's to recruiting! :cheers:

Everyone knows that rumors sometimes have a tiny bit of truth. I've read, like many of you probably have, that Sark had some issues in ATL last weekend. Truth? Only Saban and Sark really know. As far as what happens with Sark should he not get the OC job, I would imagine Orgeron or Kiffin will try to snag him up. No inside information, just speculation. To be honest, I never saw Kiffin staying in Tuscaloosa no more than a year or two tops. I saw it for what it was for, a rehab project for his image. Don't really know if he matured or not, probably not. I am appreciative for the work he did though. 3 different starters at QB for 3 years straight. The guy may be a snake in the grass, but he knows how to get the mismatches he wants.

8 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Coachingsearch ticker is reporting Major Applewhite is getting the nod, rather than kiffin. 

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

I bet Kiffin lands at LSU.  It'll suck for us but it will also chap every bammers a$$ I know.  So kind of a win

11 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Coachingsearch ticker is reporting Major Applewhite is getting the nod, rather than kiffin. 

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Confirmed by Houston's website...

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/major_applewhite_942390.html

I guess someone decided to look at Kiffin's last two head coaching gigs and got cold feet.

Wow. I bet 2 things did lane in:

1) He is a journeyman and likes to jump from school to school. Houston has lost 3 straight coaches and I bet they were looking for a long term coach that will be good on and off the field.

2) He is a journeyman and likes to jump from woman to woman. Houston has lost 3 straight coaches and I bet they were looking for a long term coach that will be good on and off the field.

@slmandel  13m13 minutes ago

Down to USF or LSU for Lane.

If Kendal Briles would be a serious AC contender at LSU  then Go Tigers! If not then Go Bulls!

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Wow. I bet 2 things did lane in:

1) He is a journeyman and likes to jump from school to school. Houston has lost 3 straight coaches and I bet they were looking for a long term coach that will be good on and off the field.

2) He is a journeyman and likes to jump from woman to woman. Houston has lost 3 straight coaches and I bet they were looking for a long term coach that will be good on and off the field.

I bet Applewhite is a bunch cheaper also.

From the time the news of Kiffen to UH broke, it sounded like a compensation game. If these things are going to happen, they're going to happen quickly. I think Kiffen may have slow-played UH without intention of going. See the Saban to UT in 2013 saga for an example.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If Kendal Briles would be a serious AC contender at LSU  then Go Tigers! If not then Go Bulls!

This may make it Charlie Strong's job to lose. Via Larry Brown Sports:

One big problem, however, is family ties. USF associate head coach David Reaves is the brother of Kiffin’s wife, Layla, who filed for divorce in March. A source told Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports “that well has been poisoned” for Kiffin at USF.

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

One big problem, however, is family ties. USF associate head coach David Reaves is the brother of Kiffin’s wife, Layla, who filed for divorce in March. A source told Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports “that well has been poisoned” for Kiffin at USF.

Isn't that the same guy he walked out on at UT?  If I remember correctly, CLK didn't even tell him he was leaving Knoxville and he found out he was out of a job when he saw it on the local news.

WDE!

18 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Reports out of here in Austin have Charlie Strong potentially going to Temple.  There have been talks already between the two.

15 hours ago, rtftiger said:

From the time the news of Kiffen to UH broke, it sounded like a compensation game. If these things are going to happen, they're going to happen quickly. I think Kiffen may have slow-played UH without intention of going. See the Saban to UT in 2013 saga for an example.

Except Sabah wanted to go.

I heard on sports radio it was a serious negotiation with HOU and LK. Houston wanted to create a ridiculous buyout to prevent LK from leaving in a few years, but didn't want to provide a comparable buyout if LK were fired.  Who's to say LK flops as a head coach again?  He has proved it everywhere he has been.  Jimmy Sexton advises LK against the deal,  and Houston promotes from within.  TIFWIW, but I could see it play out this way.

Archived