Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

and this season finished not with the Birmingham Bowl, but the Sugar Bowl... The highest bowl any SEC team that isn't in the playoffs can make. And now they don't trust him to bring in his OC?

Your recollection of this season is absurd.  We got into the Sugar Bowl by pure luck and the misfortune of other teams in the conference who sucked more than we did.  What was the result of the Sugar Bowl? We had our asses beat; ie: we had no business being there.  More importantly; this season was filled with colossal failures on the offensive side of the ball.  You seem to be under the impression that because we won 8 games and made the Sugar Bowl that this should be seen as a great accomplishment for Malzahn...that isn't the case at all as we ran into another season with an "offensive genius" HC who brought forth some of the most absurd offensive coaching and execution imaginable.

Also, you cannot attribute the failure of backup QBs or the failure of a back up plan on QBs to Gus. Gus is the head coach. He isn't the OC/QB Coach. THAT is who deserves the blame for that failure. I mean Lashlee WAS the offensive coordinator as well as the QB coach. That's on Lashlee 

Wrong.  Lashlee was a puppet OC with zero qualification for the job who was brought in and held on the staff by Malzahn because he was too paranoid to let someone else into his system.  Everything that Lashlee did (or didn't) do therefore falls on Malzahn's head.  Everything that Lashlee was teaching (or not teaching) is an extension of Malzahn himself as Lashlee spent his entire playing and coaching career under him (all but one season).  The idea that Malzahn gets a free pass because he wasn't the "OC" or "QB coach" (on paper) is a complete fabrication of what the actual working dynamic was.  When Lashlee took the job at UConn one of the first things he said was how he was happy to actually get the chance to run the offense...what exactly do you think he was referring to?

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And did you think to yourself, "I could do my job a lot better if I didn't have to deal with this crap?" That's where I think Gus's head was when he planned his offensive staff hires.

Doesn't matter.  Gus has no control over Craig's "waves".  He did have control over getting rid of him and deciding to hire who he hired.  Nobody made him remedy the Craig situation by bringing in Kodi or Hand.  That was his choice.

Just now, DAG said:

No, I actually thought where did this stuff begin and how do I figure a way to make it a constructive environment. Maybe I did something wrong ? Who knows. I truly think it takes two to tango. I don't like the idea of the upper hand potentially blocking Gus's choice, which I've said probably 60 pages ago, however, CGM deserves some blame too. It has been rumored that he is very stubborn. I don't know the ends and out of what happened with CRL, but I don't think it was as easy as I am going to go find another job. I don't know the ends and out of the CDC situation, but  I would like to believe that he provided some devil's advocate suggestions that went on false ears. Either way, things don't just turn sour, especially with someone you've hired, particularly years later. If you walk into a toxic scenario that is one thing you have to deal with as a leader. If you create a toxic scenario, as a leader you also have to deal with it. If you choose to go a different direction, this is your choice as the leader and indirectly blaming someone else for it does not fly.

I don't think Gus would blame anyone for it. Personally I think Gus made the wrong decision hiring Kodi, and I think he should have kept Grimes.  However, from what I've heard Craig was just as hard headed as Gus was and had a tendency to do things his way instead of the way Gus wanted him to (I wasn't there, so I can't confirm, obviously.). I have no trouble believing that, with the pressure of struggling to run his offense for the first time in his life, the fact that dealing with an uncooperative subordinate created just one more obstacle that he had to waste time on probably encouraged him to look for someone who would just do what they were told.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Doesn't matter.  Gus has no control over Craig's "waves".  He did have control over getting rid of him and deciding to hire who he hired.  Nobody made him remedy the Craig situation by bringing in Kodi or Hand.  That was his choice.

You totally missed what I was saying, but thanks for chiming in.

Have been thinking, simply because I really liked him when he was here before and once he was handed the OC job at Cincy and UK he seemed to do a pretty good job, but why is Eddie Gran not an option? I know many of you have far more insight into the end of the CTT era that might influence him not being a choice but he always seemed to be a stand up guy and a great coach. A pretty good recruiter as well as I remember. Don't shoot. Just wondering.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

You totally missed what I was saying, but thanks for chiming in.

Did I need to trace the conversation back to page 104? 90? 32?  

31 minutes ago, keesler said:

The AU Administration and the so-called "PTB" gave Gus the benefit of the doubt after the dismal 2015 season ended with AU finishing last in the division and landing in freaking Legion Field for the B'ham Bowl.  That was an embarrassing feat in and of itself for any AU supporter, and even more so for the big money men of Auburn.

So, they gave Gus carte blanc,  allowed him to hire "HIS" men to the staff, he brought in Herb Hand, Kodi Burns, etc.   He was allowed to bring in his staff, the men he trusted. 

Gus had all off season and all summer to get his plan in place, get his staff on board with his plans and fix the QB issue in an effort to put a better prepared and more productive offensive product on the field.

It was brutally apparent that Gus failed to do his job in the season opener.  And as the season progressed, he tried to change things somewhat but by the time the changes had a positive affect on the product on the field, untimely injuries accumulated and it became apparent yet again that Gus failed to do his job.  He failed to prepare a backup QB, or have a plan in place in the event of injuries to his starters.  In the meantime, we witnessed an ill prepared offense that was helter skelter with no rhyme or reason.  Head scratching play calling, lack of an offensive identity, etc.

Now, here we are at the conclusion of the 2016 season.  The AU Administration, the BOT, the PTB already gave Gus a chance to right the ship after 2015 - they apparently have zero trust in his ability to make a new hire on his staff.  Therefore, as a show of  "change", Rhett was allow to pursue coaching opportunities elsewhere and we are now witnessing a tug of war with the Head Coach and the PTB over Rhett's replacement.  Jay Jacobs is a puppet on the end of the PTB's strings, he does their bidding or he will be out on his ass.

Auburn is in a sad state of affairs, and they can only blame themselves. 

I agree with all of this.  When JJ gave Gus an extension to his contract after last year the dye was set.  Gus had 2016 using his "yes" men to right the ship and failed to do so and the PTB do not trust Gus (hence the removal of Rhett). So now this OC hire is crucial to Gus' future and he is not in total control of this decision.  As far as I know, JJ has not given Gus another extension and this is telling.  For this reason, I believe Gus is basically a "lame duck" coach and the PTB has limited Gus' effectiveness.  I'm not as optimistic as I once was, sad to say.

22 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Who really cares? Do you think Bama cares about perception? Do you think the Miami Hurricanes cared about perception in the 80s to 90s? Think USC cared about perception back in the Pete Carroll days? Winners win and don't care what the media has to say. Pandering to the media, and letting people who have NOTHING to do with our coaching staff blocking our coach from hiring who he wants... Well it's no wonder we have won 10 games in back to back seasons once in our entire history. 

I have a preference about how Auburn is portrayed in the media, but I don't lose sleep over it.  As it pertains to the discussion at hand, I can be objective enough to see we were not treated fairly and favorably in 2010-11.

Regarding the examples given, uat doesn't care about perception right now because it's mostly positive.  But I'll bet if Joe Schad had interrupted a dink presser or if Richardson had daily stories about how his mom solicited benefits during the 2011 title run they would have cared a whole bunch.  Miami in the 80's and 90's is a poor example because, unlike pretty much every other program in history, they largely embraced and encouraged and cultivated that image.  Carroll left USC after an NCAA investigation yelled sanctions including the loss of a national title and a Heisman.  You wouldn't have cared if the same had been done to 2010 Auburn?

The state and national media can honk on bobo for all I care.  I don't seek out their content aside from actual games.  I wouldn't have a problem with hiring Kendal Briles, if that's what you mean.  Art is a great coach, but nobody else is in a rush to hire him, so it's not just Auburn's PTB that are keeping that from happening.  If not them, are you arguing we should have already hired Lindsey, the guy we can probably pick up at any time?

WDE!

18 minutes ago, metafour said:

Your recollection of this season is absurd.  We got into the Sugar Bowl by pure luck and the misfortune of other teams in the conference who sucked more than we did.  What was the result of the Sugar Bowl? We had our asses beat; ie: we had no business being there.  More importantly; this season was filled with colossal failures on the offensive side of the ball.  You seem to be under the impression that because we won 8 games and made the Sugar Bowl that this should be seen as a great accomplishment for Malzahn...that isn't the case at all as we ran into another season with an "offensive genius" HC who brought forth some of the most absurd offensive coaching and execution imaginable.

Wrong.  Lashlee was a puppet OC with zero qualification for the job who was brought in and held on the staff by Malzahn because he was too paranoid to let someone else into his system.  Everything that Lashlee did (or didn't) do therefore falls on Malzahn's head.  Everything that Lashlee was teaching (or not teaching) is an extension of Malzahn himself as Lashlee spent his entire playing and coaching career under him (all but one season).  The idea that Malzahn gets a free pass because he wasn't the "OC" or "QB coach" (on paper) is a complete fabrication of what the actual working dynamic was.  When Lashlee took the job at UConn one of the first things he said was how he was happy to actually get the chance to run the offense...what exactly do you think he was referring to?

Yadda Yadda Yadda. I don't care that it was a down year for the SEC.  We finished in the Sugar Bowl. We were the next highest rated team not named bama in the SEC. When an underdog wins a game, there are always all kinds of excuses. Fact is we went to the Sugar  Bowl. Did we deserve it? Absolutely, otherwise we wouldn't of been there. Do you forget before being decimated by injuries we were in control of our own destiny?  Before Georgia We were... You can bash him all you want. There are plenty things to bash him about, but this past season isn't it. Games 1-3 sure...but not the rest... Georgia = injuries, Bama = injuries, Oklahoma we were alright until we were forced (by injury again) to abandon the pass which allowed Oklahoma to stack the box...then there was nothing we could do. Once Sean broke his arm, it was game over. Which brings me to my next point... Puppet or not, Lashlee was the OC... Lashlee has also been the one developing (or not) our QBs since 2013. He was paid over a half a million per year for his title. If there was no reason for him to be there (as in Gus doing everything) it makes no sense why he was even on staff... If Gus had to be the OC as well as the HC,  it's no wonder that his growth as a HC hasn't progressed as much as we would like... However we had an offensive coordinator and a QB coach... And his name sure as hades wasn't Gus Malzahn. 

Also I take his comment to mean he was excited to run his own offense. But continue hating all you want. 

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think Gus would blame anyone for it. Personally I think Gus made the wrong decision hiring Kodi, and I think he should have kept Grimes.  However, from what I've heard Craig was just as hard headed as Gus was and had a tendency to do things his way instead of the way Gus wanted him to (I wasn't there, so I can't confirm, obviously.). I have no trouble believing that, with the pressure of struggling to run his offense for the first time in his life, the fact that dealing with an uncooperative subordinate created just one more obstacle that he had to waste time on probably encouraged him to look for someone who would just do what they were told.

And you know what? You are probably accurate. They both are hard headed and it probably was best that they went separate ways.  However, I can't agree with this line of thinking. I think that is one of the worst things you can do as a leader. Just my .02 cents. You should want someone who aligns with your philosophy. I completely understand that. You should also want someone who is the best at what you are hiring them for, including the knowledge and wherethrough to not only teach but also provide you with the most efficacy data possible. This means the ability to express a difference of opinions, supported with evidence while also having the confidence to do so. The same way we are upset about the meddling projected on CGM should be applied to the subordinates under his regiment.

20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

True. But the Kodi hire was just inexcusable to me especially in a hot seat season -- which is what made it worse for me. We need/needed a sure thing badly, or as close to a sure thing you can get in some capacity. Whether the guy was accomplished in coaching WRs or an accomplished recruiter -- and we got neither. I know you won't agree but we can agree to disagree. I can't imagine another top power 5 program making a hire such as that one. It just seemed like another Lashlee type hire. And IMO the only reason that Travis Williams hire was ok to me was that our DC is a LB coach by trade and had great input on the linebackers.

I didn't like the Kodi hire and still don't because I believe we could have gotten someone who really made a difference, but I have to give it to Gus in one way, there was NO drop off in quality of WR play and, in fact, the numbers show improvement. They could have improved a lot more, had we brought in a superstar WR coach like we should have, but I think the "hot seat" season played a part in his decision because Gus was still running the O and wanted autonomy.  What he needed to do, last year, was let Lashlee go, bring in a new OC, and let them bring in their own staff.  THAT was his real mistake. Hopefully when we get this OC, he will be allowed to make changes to his staff.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I didn't like the Kodi hire and still don't because I believe we could have gotten someone who really made a difference, but I have to give it to Gus in one way, there was NO drop off in quality of WR play and, in fact, the numbers show improvement. They could have improved a lot more, had we brought in a superstar WR coach like we should have, but I think the "hot seat" season played a part in his decision because Gus was still running the O and wanted autonomy.  What he needed to do, last year, was let Lashlee go, bring in a new OC, and let them bring in their own staff.  THAT was his real mistake. Hopefully when we get this OC, he will be allowed to make changes to his staff.

WR numbers go hand in hand with QB numbers and I'm of the opinion that our improved QB play was more of a factor for this than improved WR play. DUmb things like not getting to the sticks or dropping easy 3rd down catches were still prevalent -- and some by our seniors. IMO we don't have the information at hand to tell how much better the WRs were. We would have to look at game film to see if they were actually doing better or if our QB play made the numbers better. I suppose both go hand in hand though. We've kind of had this discussion in a few other threads -- maybe it was this one lol -- and I know it's just one big circle. But I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from. But I totally agree on the bolded portion.

25 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yadda Yadda Yadda. I don't care that it was a down year for the SEC.  We finished in the Sugar Bowl. We were the next highest rated team not named bama in the SEC. When an underdog wins a game, there are always all kinds of excuses. Fact is we went to the Sugar  Bowl. Did we deserve it? Absolutely, otherwise we wouldn't of been there. Do you forget before being decimated by injuries we were in control of our own destiny? We were... You can bash him all you want. There are plenty things to bash him about, but this past season isn't it. Games 1-3 sure...but not the rest... Georgia = injuries, Bama = injuries, Oklahoma we were alright until we were forced (by injury again) to abandon the pass which allowed Oklahoma to stack the box...then there was nothing we could do. Once Sean broke his arm, it was game over. Which brings me to my next point... Puppet or not, Lashlee was the OC... Lashlee has also been the one developing (or not) our QBs since 2013. He was paid over a half a million per year for his title. If there was no reason for him to be there (as in Gus doing everything) it makes no sense why he was even on staff... If Gus had to be the OC as well as the HC,  it's no wonder that his growth as a HC hasn't progressed as much as we would like... However we had an offensive coordinator and a QB coach... And his name sure as hades wasn't Gus Malzahn. 

No disrespect to you, we all have our own opinions on the current status of Auburn Football.  Your analysis of the situation is too detailed and specific.  The AU Men that make decisions for our athletic programs view the situation over the past 2 1/2 seasons in a broader view.  

Gus is in over his head as a P5 Head Coach in the toughest conference in the country. Recognition of this fact has set in with our conference foe, some former staff members, some fans/AU supporters.  But it has most definitely been acknowledged and recognized by the AU Administration, BOT, and the powerful men behind the scenes that leave their wallets wide-ass open for Auburn Athletics.  

maybe we don't have an OC yet because the new OC won't have full control of (staff?  scheme?  playbook?  ???) and thus people that have been considered/interviewed have balked.  So by limiting his control, people have bowed out....gosh I hope I am wrong.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think that is one of the worst things you can do as a leader. Just my .02 cents.

I don't disagree at all... I just get trying to create the easiest path when you are struggling.

It makes me hearken back to a previous job where I constantly butt heads with a peer manager, who was entrenched because he was tight with the bosses. His sales team was dragging down my production team and our product and I could not get him to see the big picture. I did everything I could to work with him and show him the way, but nothing worked. A year or so later, the management sold the company and new management came in.  They assessed the situation and fired him and put me in charge of his people. Our sales and production increased dramatically in a matter of weeks, but by then we had such a big hole to crawl out of that, within 6-months, they dissolved the whole product because they weren't willing to wait as long as it was going to take to become profitable.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

You should want someone who aligns with your philosophy. I completely understand that. You should also want someone who is the best at what you are hiring them for, including the knowledge and wherethrough to not only teach but also provide you with the most efficacy data possible. This means the ability to express a difference of opinions, supported with evidence while also having the confidence to do so.

That is certainly the ideal situation for growth and how most people who really get it would hire.  I think in Gus's case you have a combination of him being certain that his offense works as it is (which is not forward thinking and something he needs to fix) and the pressure to perform, and he decided the simplest path was the best to get his offense back in form. Whats sad is, had we had QB depth, it might actually have worked... sad because it would have affirmed some incorrect thinking.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus was given free reign to hire his staff after last season, he was given unencumbered freedom to fix the deficiencies from 2015.  The AU people in charge apparently trusted him to make staff, player and personnel changes for the 2016 season.  It is obvious that that trust no longer exists and we are witnessing a fine mess right now.

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

WR numbers go hand in hand with QB numbers and I'm of the opinion that our improved QB play was more of a factor for this than improved WR play. DUmb things like not getting to the sticks or dropping easy 3rd down catches were still prevalent -- and some by our seniors. IMO we don't have the information at hand to tell how much better the WRs were. We would have to look at game film to see if they were actually doing better or if our QB play made the numbers better. I suppose both go hand in hand though. We've kind of had this discussion in a few other threads -- maybe it was this one lol -- and I know it's just one big circle. But I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from. But I totally agree on the bolded portion.

You do have to admit, that, no matter what, the performance of the receivers didn't get worse.

12 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yadda Yadda Yadda. I don't care that it was a down year for the SEC.  We finished in the Sugar Bowl. We were the next highest rated team not named bama in the SEC. When an underdog wins a game, there are always all kinds of excuses. Fact is we went to the Sugar  Bowl. Did we deserve it? Absolutely, otherwise we wouldn't of been there. Do you forget before being decimated by injuries we were in control of our own destiny?  Before Georgia We were... You can bash him all you want. There are plenty things to bash him about, but this past season isn't it. Games 1-3 sure...but not the rest... Georgia = injuries, Bama = injuries, Oklahoma we were alright until we were forced (by injury again) to abandon the pass which allowed Oklahoma to stack the box...then there was nothing we could do. Once Sean broke his arm, it was game over. Which brings me to my next point... Puppet or not, Lashlee was the OC... Lashlee has also been the one developing (or not) our QBs since 2013. He was paid over a half a million per year for his title. If there was no reason for him to be there (as in Gus doing everything) it makes no sense why he was even on staff... If Gus had to be the OC as well as the HC,  it's no wonder that his growth as a HC hasn't progressed as much as we would like... However we had an offensive coordinator and a QB coach... And his name sure as hades wasn't Gus Malzahn. 

Also I take his comment to mean he was excited to run his own offense. But continue hating all you want. 

I would go so far to say that the QB argument is fallacious at best, silly at worst. The premise is, apparently, that a QB coach could take any of us here with eligibility and spend a summer and then magically we are a game ready QB. There is only so much someone can do with the materials at hand. Beyond that, what was RL or CGM supposed to do? Spring practice happens after signing day - and does anyone think any QB still remaining unsigned in freakin April or August is going to be the answer we needed? Was he supposed to kidnap and dress up johnny manziel in a fake mustache and glasses and pass him off as a freshman walk on?

"He should have recruited better!" Hell, he brought in TWO qbs to go along with a returning starter! I mean, I can understand being mad that SW got injured and there not being a viable backup, but I think blaming Gus for it is being mad at him for not being clairvoyant. 

Recruiting misses happen. Nobody thought JJ was going to have the problems he had - and I will go a step further and say since JJs best games have come in situations where he had to come in in relief, I will argue that it was reasonable to assume we had a viable backup QB already. But then JJ regressed further, JF3 didn't progress like NM or Cam did, and Woody Barrett couldn't pick up the offense fast enough to make a difference for the season (at least in terms of burning a redshirt for 1 or 2 games). 

Just now, keesler said:

Gus was given free reign to hire his staff after last season, he was given unencumbered freedom to fix the deficiencies from 2015.

Yea... and he shot himself in the back by not being willing to let Lashlee go without a place to land. I think he's finally realized that there isn't enough time in the day for him to be HC and OC, when he would spend 18 hours a day just being an OC. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

The AU people in charge apparently trusted him to make staff, player and personnel changes for the 2016 season.  It is obvious that that trust no longer exists and we are witnessing a fine mess right now.

To me that's on the AU people, as they certainly don't have a better idea of who should or shouldn't be coaching on the staff.  I'm with the others who say, if they are going to be choosing his staff, then they need to nut up, hand him his golden parachute, and start over from the top.  Telling a head coach who to put on his staff is a recipe for disaster.

JJ was a miss, but we'll give him a pass...he certainly passed the eye test coming in.  Queen...tough injuries to overcome so I'll give the staff a pass.  Sean was a good sign, although he breaks a lot.  Kudos to Gus for getting Sean here.  JF3...what the heck were they thinking?  It's obvious we have little nothing that is reliable at the QB position and the staff goes out in December/January and gets Franklin?  There were other more qualified options that we didn't get.  Options that performed pretty well this past year.  Now, maybe Evans told us no, but that's still all on Gus.  He knew we had a problem in September of 2015.  It took until January of 17 to get it fixed.

The SEC West will eat you alive if you take 15 months to fix a problem.

7 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I would go so far to say that the QB argument is fallacious at best, silly at worst. The premise is, apparently, that a QB coach could take any of us here with eligibility and spend a summer and then magically we are a game ready QB. There is only so much someone can do with the materials at hand. Beyond that, what was RL or CGM supposed to do? Spring practice happens after signing day - and does anyone think any QB still remaining unsigned in freakin April or August is going to be the answer we needed? Was he supposed to kidnap and dress up johnny manziel in a fake mustache and glasses and pass him off as a freshman walk on?

"He should have recruited better!" Hell, he brought in TWO qbs to go along with a returning starter! I mean, I can understand being mad that SW got injured and there not being a viable backup, but I think blaming Gus for it is being mad at him for not being clairvoyant. 

Recruiting misses happen. Nobody thought JJ was going to have the problems he had - and I will go a step further and say since JJs best games have come in situations where he had to come in in relief, I will argue that it was reasonable to assume we had a viable backup QB already. But then JJ regressed further, JF3 didn't progress like NM or Cam did, and Woody Barrett couldn't pick up the offense fast enough to make a difference for the season (at least in terms of burning a redshirt for 1 or 2 games). 

No true QB coach would've offered JF3 a scholarship to play QB (I don't care what the fanbase thinks). You want to bring him as an athlete, SURE! But there were other alternatives out there well in reach such as the guy at V.Tech. JJ regressing is also an issue, but whatever. WB is young, so I can't lay that on his shoulders. CGM shouldn't get the blame for every dang thing, but he definitely has a hand on the offensive side of the ball when it comes to scheming/management, player recruitment, and development.

I don't believe that the AU men in charge are viewing this situation in specific details, i.e. QB development, injuries, hit and misses in recruiting......

They are viewing the situation from a wide picture perspective.  And like it or not, good or bad...CGM is the head coach and AU has lost 16 games in the past 3 seasons and we are 1-2 in bowl games with the one bowl win in the B'ham Bowl after a 6-6 regular season.  Bottom line, that's not acceptable at Auburn.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

No disrespect to you, we all have our own opinions on the current status of Auburn Football.  Your analysis of the situation is too detailed and specific.  The AU Men that make decisions for our athletic programs view the situation over the past 2 1/2 seasons in a broader view.  

Gus is in over his head as a P5 Head Coach in the toughest conference in the country. Recognition of this fact has set in with our conference foe, some former staff members, some fans/AU supporters.  But it has most definitely been acknowledged and recognized by the AU Administration, BOT, and the powerful men behind the scenes that leave their wallets wide-ass open for Auburn Athletics.  

thats your opinion. We have been to two national championships with him on board. Just because he stumbled a little doesn't mean he is over his head. you can't build a wall all at once, you have to build it brick by brick which takes time and sometimes doesn't go the way you thought it would. I disagree he is in over his head. Oh and by the way, people said the same things about Dabo when he was in his 3rd and 4th year at Clemson..

Archived