Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

So, its been a while since we had any updated OC news. What's the latest?

The info well has gone dry. Nothing really new for the past day or so.

32 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

So, its been a while since we had any updated OC news. What's the latest?

so am I.  I do think comparing apples to oranges is comparing Gus to Gus!

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

OK- did they want to come to AU? 

Jerod Evans dang sure did as has been said probably close to a million times now.

With that said, either drop the QB talk or take it to the QB thread.

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm being too sarcastic ~ I'm going to see if a Momma's Love and some Momma's Nacho's with extra peppers will put me in a better frame of mind for the afternoon session.

Tween last night and today... You know how to end a discussion.

War Eagle!

3 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

"Any of us"? Speak for yourself. 

I chose my words carefully. I didn't say "thought", I said "knew". SW did not have an extensive injury history prior to this year. One knee injury does not a glass man make (particularly when he tried to play through it). 

You could have suspicions that he might be injury prone prior to the season, but you couldn't KNOW. Unless you were clairvoyant, anyway. 

Who out of all the names mentioned have not pulled their names out of contention? Mazzone not interested. Yurcich not interested. Two TCU guys gone somewhere else. Jake Spavital not interested. who am i missing? Kendall Briles cannot get our NCAA compliance office approval. Not touching Art Briles. So does that leave of names we have heard, Sterling Gilbert and Chip Lindsey?

7 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Wish we could just have an OC discussion thread... 

...with an OC to discuss.

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

I chose my words carefully. I didn't say "thought", I said "knew". SW did not have an extensive injury history prior to this year. One knee injury does not a glass man make (particularly when he tried to play through it). 

You could have suspicions that he might be injury prone prior to the season, but you couldn't KNOW. Unless you were clairvoyant, anyway. 

Again. Drop the QB talk or take it to the QB thread. It's not hard to copy a post, paste it in another thread, & reply there.

Just now, ellitor said:

Again. Drop the QB talk or take it to the QB thread. It's not hard to copy a post, paste it in another thread, & reply there.

Give it a rest, I was typing my post when you typed yours and didn't see your request. That said, your request came with a side of QB discussion itself, so I see you follow your own rules with aplomb. Sir.  

I'm done with it, and was done after my last post. May I go hitch your high horse now?

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Jerod Evans dang sure did as has been said probably close to a million times now.

With that said, either drop the QB talk or take it to the QB thread.

Thank you!!

40 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus is and Dabo was.  That's the nature of being a young coach. Dabo learned and grew and it worked out well. Gus is learning and growing, but it's yet to be seen if he's going to be allowed to or able to get his head above water. This OC hire might actually be the turning point in his story.

First, I agree with everyone else that says it:  people should not be learning on the job here.  Auburn is certainly not paying apprentice salaries, and I am definitely getting tired of being patient with novices learning things they should have already known before they got here.  That said, if you are going to give a head coach another year to right the ship, you absolutely have to let him do what he thinks he needs to do.  If he fails, you have good reason to fire him.  If he succeeds, then you have good indications that he has indeed learned and is moving forward.

You are right though, this OC hire might be the turning point in his story.  I hope it is.  I am tired of having a great season, some mediocre/bad seasons, and then a new head coach search.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

First, I agree with everyone else that says it:  people should not be learning on the job here.  Auburn is certainly not paying apprentice salaries, and I am definitely getting tired of being patient with novices learning things they should have already known before they got here.  That said, if you are going to give a head coach another year to right the ship, you absolutely have to let him do what he thinks he needs to do.  If he fails, you have good reason to fire him.  If he succeeds, then you have good indications that he has indeed learned and is moving forward.

You are right though, this OC hire might be the turning point in his story.  I hope it is.  I am tired of having a great season, some mediocre/bad seasons, and then a new head coach search.

I don't know if that's a HC issue. That's more of a fan/PTB issue. 

Just now, Auctoritas said:

I don't know if that's a HC issue. That's more of a fan/PTB issue. 

That was meant to support the fact that I hope it is the turning point in Gus' story, meaning he becomes successful instead of replaced.

27 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Wish we could just have an OC discussion thread... 

But when we give you nice things, you always invite your friends over, have a big party, and break them. Until you prove that you can take care of your threads, your just stuck with the same OC/QB/PTB thread that the other kids get.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

But when we give you nice things, you always invite your friends over, have a big party, and break them. Until you prove that you can take care of your threads, your just stuck with the same OC/QB/PTB thread that the other kids get.

Oh, go take a Spavital. 

Speculating further...a combo OC arrangement might be intriguing. Granted, NallSminger was a trainwreck (IMO) but a Herb Hand/(insert talented QB developer here) might be intriguing.

Not necessarily hoping for it, just posting while crickets chirp.

47 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Speculating further...a combo OC arrangement might be intriguing. Granted, NallSminger was a trainwreck (IMO) but a Herb Hand/(insert talented QB developer here) might be intriguing.

My thought on Hand is that the only thing that really changed, bringing him this year, was the addition of stuff that made people want to pull their hair out.  That leads me to believe that there is a good reason that Gus went from Co-OC at Tulsa to OC to head coach, and Hand went from co-OC to O-line coach, and stayed there.

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Going down that path... Who would be on your list for a QB coach? How about Streeter from Clemson?

3 minutes ago, autigersj said:

Going down that path... Who would be on your list for a QB coach? How about Streeter from Clemson?

I seriously doubt that anyone (especially an alum) is going to leave Clemson to come here, given the perceived situation here.  Why leave a national championship team for the realistic possibility of being fired next year?

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

You do have to admit, that, no matter what, the performance of the receivers didn't get worse.

Did not get worse I will agree to that but I also think we had a slight overall talent upgrade as well. I love Ricardo Louis and he has some of the most memorable plays of all time but if he's your #1 WR you're hurting at the position. Not necessarily his fault, if our staff worked on his WR skills instead of making him a glorified RB for 3.5 years it would have served him well. Unfortunately, prior to Duke and Sammie leaving us he was used exclusively on sweeps and screens.

Archived