Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

15 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Well if they don't want Gus to do HIS thing, then they should fire him immediately and pay the man! THIS IS B.S.! What's next, Wayne Bolt as the extra coach? 

FTR most coaches don't get to do their own thing on searches like this. PTBs at nearly every school have a voice. Saban is one of the few that has total autonomy. If he was not as successful as he is the Bama PTBs would have a major say as they did from the time Bear died til a bit after Saban was hired.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some of you guys hate anything negative Auburn, but this coaching search has become a sh@tshow, clusterf@ck or anything along those lines.  SAD

16 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Any update on a projected date they may announce? I assume no way it will be this weekend. (big recruiting weekend). Also, is it possible recruiting is standing in the way of an OC hire? I know it has been previously stated that the majority of our offensive recruits are locked in, but I did read that Barrett is taking an OV to Tennessee. I hate for other schools to be able to use this against us. 

Gus is still shooting for Sunday but no projected date now as to the actual when it will happen.

2. No.

8 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

It's possible I'm confusing him with someone else, but isn't Lindsey in his 40's?

WDE!

Young in the college game. Only been at the college level just over 4 years now.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FTR most coaches don't get to do their own thing on searches like this. PTBs at nearly every school have a voice. Saban is one of the few that has total autonomy. If he was not as successful as he is the Bama PTBs would have a major say as they did from the time Bear died til a bit after Saban was hired.

I understand...and understand the reluctance on the PTB with KB, but if the 2nd choice didn't have those issues, then that seems like a problem to me. Are the PTB giving him a list and saying hear are your choices?

By saying that, by no means am I implying we will not have a great new OC, the process however is reality tv at its finest/worst pending on your opinion of reality tv

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

By saying that, by no means am I implying we will not have a great new OC, the process however is reality tv at its finest/worst pending on your opinion of reality tv

It seems more like Whack A Mole.... 

Just now, imaolgatiger said:

I understand...and understand the reluctance on the PTB with KB, but if the 2nd choice didn't have those issues, then that seems like a problem to me. Are the PTB giving him a list and saying hear are your choices?

I think Chip is Gus's 2nd choice & has the same "inexperience" issues KB did.

I don't think they gave him a list but there is a lot of volleying going back & forth with a clear line in the sand from both sides as Bird basically said.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Yup! It would look horrible for AU but be good for TV producers.

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus does not operate in a vacuum, but his stubbornness appears that he believes he does (or has in the past).  When that happens, the bosses give you (Gus) the opportunity to do the right thing and if you don't show the ability to do the right thing, they will intervene.

That's not really what's going on here. Those intervening are not his bosses, and if his boss had a backbone, those people would have no say in the process at all. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That's not really what's going on here. Those intervening are not his bosses, and if his boss had a backbone, those people would have no say in the process at all. 

The boss is the only one that can intervene.  I know what you are saying that the boss is being influenced by outside influences and the boss may be manipulated, but only one person can tell Gus his perception of what to do.  If Gus is listening to anybody else other then his boss, it's on him.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think Chip is Gus's 2nd choice & has the same "inexperience" issues KB did.

I don't think they gave him a list but there is a lot of volleying going back & forth with a clear line in the sand from both sides as Bird basically said.

Chip Kelly would work for me. Very good offensive mind.....Chip Lindsey I am not overly fired up about. 

1 minute ago, WinningTradition said:

It's a train wreck in the making.

Agreed, that's what it sounds like to me.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

The boss is the only one that can intervene.  I know what you are saying that the boss is being influenced by outside influences and the boss may be manipulated, but only one person can tell Gus his perception of what to do.  If Gus is listening to anybody else other then his boss, it's on him.

In a properly functioning environment, you would be right, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gus was told to take calls from certain power players and do what they say. As Tubbs found out... your job at AU depends upon it.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In big time College Football Politics at most places no he's not.

If Gus looked at all this he'd probably chuckle at how many experts we have here.  Who cares if Chip is a yes man if Auburn puts up big offensive numbers.  Winning cures all!

48 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Of course they want a salacious story, they have a career to consider.  Does't mean they conducted themselves fairly, and the coverage sure as hell wasn't favorable.  The NCAA doesn't comment on ongoing investigations, and they cleared us of all wrongdoing, so the year-long witch hunt was ultimately just for clicks and notoriety.

WDE!

Given the context of the story and what they had to work with, they were as fair and favorable as anyone could expect them to be.  Auburn and the NCAA were saying nothing.  That left the media to all negative sources and their imagination.  My point is, the media's treatment of Auburn is nothing unusual.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In a properly functioning environment, you would be right, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gus was told to take calls from certain power players and do what they say. As Tubbs found out... your job at AU depends upon it.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In big time College Football Politics at most places no he's not.

Not arguing here, the point is Gus' boss is the only one that can "officially" tell him what to do.  In any organization there are certain power brokers that will alway have oversight in the way you run your organization, but the person that will fire you is your boss.  He may not want to fire you, but the boss will fire you, not the power broker (see Gus and Rhett this year).

In my OP I posed the question; I wonder if Gus is being set up to fail?  That would not be all JJ as I don't think has that kind of foresight or power, but JJ would be the one to fire Gus.

55 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Neither... they are big money boosters (some of whom have been on the BOT... at least one still is). But, yes... business men who don't know a darn thing about coaching a football team.  It's the same crew that coordinated Jet Gate... planted Bolt on Chizik's staff, etc. They haven't gone away.

This kind of nonsense is what I meant by Auburn being a worse enemy to Auburn than Alabama can ever be.

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

That's how I felt the first time they brought Louie Anderson back!

9k=Image result for louie anderson

It never occurred to me that he looks like something from the movie Deliverance. 

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In my OP I posed the question; I wonder if Gus is being set up to fail?  That would not be all JJ as I don't think has that kind of foresight or power, but JJ would be the one to fire Gus.

It wouldn't surprise me. They certainly did their best to do that with Tubbs, because he wouldn't play ball, and it's been said Gus is similar in that regard. It also wouldn't surprise me if they pushed Gus too far at some point and he told them where to stick it and quit.  If he quits without going to another school, he doesn't owe Auburn any money, and he certainly has made plenty to live comfortably.  Imagine how much fun it would be to fill a position after a coach outright quits because he's sick of dealing with the bureaucracy.

I love Auburn, but I really do wish someone would have the guts to tell certain people to go away.

Archived