Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

I am still hoping they are waiting for an answer from Riley, but Gilbert should definitely be the 2nd choice. Lindsey is the last guy on the totem pole. He isn't going anywhere.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think Gus is a good coach that has lost his way. The play calling and predictability can not be assigned to anyone but him. He is stubborn and needs help retooling his scheme, but I don't think he needs to be replaced...yet. 

Bird, I heard this morning from a guy who is loosely connected to the athletic department that Lashlee was in fact fired and that Gus is looking to put in place a "great" OC who will have total control to the point of changing systems if that's what is deemed necessary.  This may be old news as I haven't sifted through all 100+ pages of this topic, but I was encouraged by this "information".  If we think back to the Steele hire it was seemingly delayed and somewhat out of left field but was, in my opinion, a good and thoughtful hire.

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Bird, I heard this morning from a guy who is loosely connected to the athletic department that Lashlee was in fact fired and that Gus is looking to put in place a "great" OC who will have total control to the point of changing systems if that's what is deemed necessary.  This may be old news as I haven't sifted through all 100+ pages of this topic, but I was encouraged by this "information".  If we think back to the Steele hire it was seemingly delayed and somewhat out of left field but was, in my opinion, a good and thoughtful hire.

That right there should raise a red flag.

18 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Do you think we are treated differently by the media in a way that causes us to have to be more careful?  I think when Auburn makes the bold decision we usually do pretty well, despite the media backlash.  Sometimes we worry to much about perception.

National media?  Not at all.  Alabama media?  Perhaps, but I pay little to no attention to it.  In the era of Chizik and Malzahn, media have been fair to favorable for Auburn.

9 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

That sounds more like what someone wants to be true than is actually true.  I have little doubt that Lashlee was encouraged to seek accommodations elsewhere, but I seriously doubt Gus is genuinely looking to find an OC and hand everything to him.  An OC with a fresh perspective and experience to evolve the offense makes perfect sense.  An OC that is autonomous does not.  We hired Gus to be a head coach and run the offense, not for his head coach management skills.

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am still hoping they are waiting for an answer from Riley, but Gilbert should definitely be the 2nd choice. Lindsey is the last guy on the totem pole. He isn't going anywhere.

I would think think we have close to 0 chance of getting Riley. He is killing it where he is and he in a very good program. My guess is his next job will be as a Head Coach for a Power 5 Conference team. Only way I see this at all is if he was convinced he needs experience in another program to get the HC gig he wants. Guy might be a great HC soon. 

al.com

Report: Noel Mazzone not leaving Texas A&M for Auburn offensive coordinator job

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn's week-long search for a new offensive coordinator may have turned to a man who previously held the position, but apparently not for long.

Texas A&M offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, who served as Auburn's offensive coordinator from 1999-2001, was reportedly under consideration but will remain in College Station, according to the Houston Chronicle's Brent Zwerneman.

Earlier Thursday, Travis Haney of 247Sports reported via anonymous sources that Mazzone was "in mix - and could be (the) leader" in the search.

Mazzone becomes the second candidate to be made public and subsequently stay at his current position, joining Oklahoma State's Mike Yurcich.

Where things stand with Auburn OC search after 1 week

Where things stand with Auburn OC search after 1 week

Auburn's offensive coordinator search is one week old and the identity of who will be calling plays for the Tigers in 2017 is no more clear than when Rhett Lashlee left the Plains for UConn

Mazzone, who earned $965,000 last year in College Station, is scheduled to earn a salary of $600,000 with a $200,000 retention bonus is each of the next two years.

If he were to leave Texas A&M for another SEC coaching position, Mazzone would owe 100 percent of his remaining base salary, or approximately $1.2 million. By comparison, Kevin Steele owed LSU $500,000 and split that buyout when he came to Auburn last year.

Mazzone's son, Taylor, is a quality control assistant at Texas A&M and served as quarterbacks coach under his father at UCLA for three years.

It was a package deal for the Mazzone's at Texas A&M and would almost certainly be again if he were to leave.

9 potential candidates for Auburn offensive coordinator

17 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

National media?  Not at all.  Alabama media?  Perhaps, but I pay little to no attention to it.  In the era of Chizik and Malzahn, media have been fair to favorable for Auburn.

Especially Malzahn all the national guys seem to love him.

Also with the 2 new BOT members we will be getting away from closed door politics at AU.  Excited to have Quentin Riggins to be a part of that new blood.  Maybe that subject in itself should be it's own thread. 

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I doubt that it will be noel or Leon spelled backwards or sideways. When I was a kid, we used to find houses during the Christmas season that had big letters in their front yard that spelled Noel. We would rearrange the letters to say Leon. We never got caught and sometimes it would be a couple of days before the folks realized what had happen. My best friend in 3rd grade was named Leon Perkins. He was a certified "Goober" and proudly wore this badge with honor. He was killed in Vietnam in 1969 serving in the US  Army just 2 weeks from when he first got to Nam as a green PFC. I still am touched by his willingness to sign up for the Army in that he likely would not have been drafted. I would be willing to bet that Leon would tell Gus to stay away from Noel. May God rest his soul forever.

While somewhat behind the curve with this,

I think the consensus respelling of Coach Mazzone has been found to be

el no!

As long as we're all speculating and since Crimedog left with his NFL pedigree, I'll cast my vote with the clique saying it would make sense if Gus is working on an NFL pedigree OC that has college experience and has developed (or at least successfully worked with) NFL QBs (especially dually's). That would probably be a homerun with Stidham, Gatewood, O recruits/players...and many fans. I half joked about Chip Kelly but he'd be the poster child for my, er, theory.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

That right there should raise a red flag.

Not changing systems and Gus has been advised to let the new OC take control of the offense. And the two sides can't agree on who the OC should be. But the rest of that is right. 

9 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

As long as we're all speculating and since Crimedog left with his NFL pedigree, I'll cast my vote with the clique saying it would make sense if Gus is working on an NFL pedigree OC that has college experience and has developed (or at least successfully worked with) NFL QBs (especially dually's). That would probably be a homerun with Stidham, Gatewood, O recruits/players...and many fans. I half joked about Chip Kelly but he'd be the poster child for my, er, theory.

Gus wants Chip Lindsey. The other do not. Pretty simple. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not changing systems and Gus has been advised to let the new OC take control of the offense. And the two sides can't agree on who the OC should be. But the rest of that is right. 

I figured the rest of it was right (And has been stated already), but the highlighted part is downright wrong. Let them take control to the point of changing systems? Yeah right.

There are too many stubborn hands in the pot right now and failed leadership by the leader.  Let Gus live and die by his pick.  President Gogue  needs to get the ball rolling, create the search committee and let the new guy make the decision.  I recommend Shawn Eichorst, worked with him at his first AD job.

21 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Also with the 2 new BOT members we will be getting away from closed door politics at AU.  Excited to have Quentin Riggins to be a part of that new blood.  Maybe that subject in itself should be it's own thread. 

Getting away from close door politics at AU. Lollololololollolololo. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Getting away from close door politics at AU. Lollololololollolololo. 

I meant to include maybe we will be getting away from that...

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

There are too many stubborn hands in the pot right now and failed leadership by the leader.  Let Gus live and die by his pick.  President Gogue  needs to get the ball rolling, create the search committee and let the new guy make the decision.  I recommend Shawn Eichorst, worked with him at his first AD job.

Gouge does not care on bit about AU football. 

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I meant to include maybe we will be getting away from that...

Lol. One can dream. If change comes it will be brought on by other BOT member. One who has a much bigger stick and a lot deeper pocket. You can guess who that is from the deeper pocket comment. 

Archived