Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

National media?  Not at all.  Alabama media?  Perhaps, but I pay little to no attention to it.  In the era of Chizik and Malzahn, media have been fair to favorable for Auburn.

I disagree.  I don't think they were fair or favorable during the Cam Newton saga and the HBO Real Sports segment was a hit piece.

WDE!

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

I disagree.  I don't think they were fair or favorable during the Cam Newton saga and the HBO Real Sports segment was a hit piece.

WDE!

Is that not what media does?  If there is controversy, they run with it.  Auburn was a top 5 team at the time the Cam Newton saga was dusting up and it involved a front-running Heisman candidate, did you not expect the media to jump on that?  Same with HBO's Real Sports.  In essence, they want a hit-piece.  No one wants to watch an HBO program for something they can get from ESPN.

The national media does not care enough about Auburn (or any program) to want to bury or promote us.  When Auburn is hot, they roll with it.  When Auburn is not, they roll with something else.  If we are part of a controversy, they jump on it.  The persecution complex among our fanbase is real.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Another yes man. So I'd say it would be a disaster. 

He very well may be a yes man but I'm not sure how that's assumed by apparently so many PTBs considering Chip only worked under Gus 1 year.

Now a logical concern is that since Chip is so young he could be easy for Gus to control but that may not be a given either.

12 minutes ago, Deckhead said:

Any way this could all be a front to make it look like they have exhausted all options before hiring Briles?

No IMO.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He very well may be a yes man but I'm not sure how that's assumed by apparently so many PTBs considering Chip only worked under Gus 1 year.

Now a logical concern is that since Chip is so young he could be easy for Gus to control but that may not be a given either.

Well if they don't want Gus to do HIS thing, then they should fire him immediately and pay the man! THIS IS B.S.! What's next, Wayne Bolt as the extra coach? 

1 minute ago, imaolgatiger said:

Well if they don't want Gus to do HIS thing, then they should fire him immediately and pay the man! THIS IS B.S.! What's next, Wayne Bolt as the extra coach

Thanks a lot!  I just puked up my biscuit 'n coffee. :puke:

Any update on a projected date they may announce? I assume no way it will be this weekend. (big recruiting weekend). Also, is it possible recruiting is standing in the way of an OC hire? I know it has been previously stated that the majority of our offensive recruits are locked in, but I did read that Barrett is taking an OV to Tennessee. I hate for other schools to be able to use this against us. 

2 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

If this was a power play over a HC hire it might be more understandable, but this is a freakin coordinator position. Why does anyone care? If Gus gets it wrong they are in a HC search next year, so why not just get out of he way?

Because there are a group of people who think they should be in charge of everything that happens in the football team... it's been that way since 1993...

8 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Well if they don't want Gus to do HIS thing, then they should fire him immediately and pay the man! THIS IS B.S.! What's next, Wayne Bolt as the extra coach? 

They tried that one already... they'll have to find a less obvious, less alcoholic alternative.

9 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Is that not what media does?  If there is controversy, they run with it.  Auburn was a top 5 team at the time the Cam Newton saga was dusting up and it involved a front-running Heisman candidate, did you not expect the media to jump on that?  Same with HBO's Real Sports.  In essence, they want a hit-piece.  No one wants to watch an HBO program for something they can get from ESPN.

The national media does not care enough about Auburn (or any program) to want to bury or promote us.  When Auburn is hot, they roll with it.  When Auburn is not, they roll with something else.  If we are part of a controversy, they jump on it.  The persecution complex among our fanbase is real.

Of course they want a salacious story, they have a career to consider.  Does't mean they conducted themselves fairly, and the coverage sure as hell wasn't favorable.  The NCAA doesn't comment on ongoing investigations, and they cleared us of all wrongdoing, so the year-long witch hunt was ultimately just for clicks and notoriety.

WDE!

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

When people throw around the term "Powers That Be",  are these staffers within the Athletic Department?  i.e. Jay Jacobs/Tim Jackson'ish folks?  

Or are they actually BOT members that are spending their time and energy scouring the country for a offensive coordinator candidate when they are freaking business men and women and don't know a damn thing about coaching a football team let alone how to build an efficient offense?

Neither... they are big money boosters (some of whom have been on the BOT... at least one still is). But, yes... business men who don't know a darn thing about coaching a football team.  It's the same crew that coordinated Jet Gate... planted Bolt on Chizik's staff, etc. They haven't gone away.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Because there are a group of people who think they should be in charge of everything that happens in the football team... it's been that way since 1993...

They don't think they should be in charge, they ARE in charge.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's possible I'm confusing him with someone else, but isn't Lindsey in his 40's?

WDE!

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think Gus is a good coach that has lost his way. The play calling and predictability can not be assigned to anyone but him. He is stubborn and needs help retooling his scheme, but I don't think he needs to be replaced...yet. That said, this search and the circus that is happening(not on boards but behind closed doors) is not Gus' fault. He had his guy...and the guy after that. There are power plays being made and agendas being pushed my many. That is what is causing this thing to become a cluster. I say that not out of contempt from the staff but my cynicism and the ineptitude by those in charge. 

This is disappointing to read.  Gus does not operate in a vacuum, but his stubbornness appears that he believes he does (or has in the past).  When that happens, the bosses give you (Gus) the opportunity to do the right thing and if you don't show the ability to do the right thing, they will intervene.  This situation has "lame duck" coach written all over it.

I would imagine who Auburn hires as the OC will let the fans know if Gus is a "lame duck" or not.  One would have to wonder if those in charge are setting Gus up to fail or are really wanting Gus to evolve as a coach?  Good luck Gus, we're all counting on you (well most of us).

Archived