Steven Pearl promoted to assistant coach

Tiger

Per Jeff Goodman @ ESPN. I can't say I'm happy with this hire at all. Seems like it could be Lashlee 2.0. I know basketball and football staffs are vastly different but I would've liked to see a proven recruiter or a proven SOMETHING/ANYTHING added on to our staff. :slapfh:

Man I was really hoping he would bring back Toney Jones. All his success at college has been with him.

You are correct, we needed a top recruiter/coach like Toney Jones. Seems like coach Pearl is keeping it ALL IN THE FAMILY. Not good.

1) Tony Jones is almost for sure not coming back to AU. His departure wasn't on great terms

2) You can't compare this to Lashlee, Lashlee was at least a solid to good recruiter with a track record of success at other stops

Steven may end up being good, but on paper this is a huge downgrade. Dollar had extensive connections to our #1 recruiting area (ATL), was a good recruiter and had experience as a major level coach

There are many members on here that know way more about basketball and potential good coaching hires than I do but if we are trusting BP to rebuild our program then shouldn't we trust him to make the right hire or promotion? We'll know soon enough but I doubt Bruce would put his own son in a position to fail. He surely sees and knows something that others may not to make this choice. 

"blood is thicker than water.".   It's hard to be objective about your children.    And we still need someone to develop some defensive intensity. 

If we had made the tourney this year, I doubt we would be complaining. We might not love the hire but I'm sure the fanbase wouldn't care so much. 

But to hire your kin after an ultimately dissapointing end to a season and after losing a top recruiter is just a little too much for me. Kind of surprised Jacobs or someone didn't stop this after what we just dealt with in Gus and Rhett, how is coach Pearl going to properly evaluate his son? How is he going to fire him if he needs to? Imagine the fan base's reaction if we lose a big recruit due to this. 

Idk, this might end up being a great hire but the situation called for a more proven coach, imo.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Man I was really hoping he would bring back Toney Jones. All his success at college has been with him.

Not an option per JGT. AU compliance won't allow it. That's all I've seen & don't know any details or anything more than that.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not an option per JGT. AU compliance won't allow it. That's all I've seen & don't know any details or anything more than that.

Thanks....and interesting ?  I understand that he is out of NCAA basketball...maybe not just AU concerned? 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....and interesting ?  I understand that he is out of NCAA basketball...maybe not just AU concerned? 

No clue. Him going to Canada could be an indicator though.

Archived