Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Brad_ATX

Breaking now.  Robert Mueller, former head of FBI, has been named the Special Counsel to oversee the Russia investigation.  He gets the entire weight and power of the FBI at his disposal.  This is different from a true Independent Prosecutor as he will still be under the purview of the DOJ, but it certainly gives some added weight to what's going on.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/special-counsel-will-take-over-fbi-russia-campaign-interference-investigation-n761271

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positive step. No doubt Deputy AG felt a little salty in the manner in which the Comey firing proceeded. Definetly a good move to help him save face.

1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

Wow. Good on Rosenstein. I would love to be a fly on the wall next time he, Trump, and Sessions are in the same room.

when he fires him?

2Q==

I'm good with this.....

It's the CIA building of course....but I'd like to think the FBI can live up to that also....not sure after the past year or so. 

45 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

who is getting fired BB? and why?

Rosenstein. In case the yellow text wasn't a dead giveaway, it was a joke. 

22 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Rosenstein. In case the yellow text wasn't a dead giveaway, it was a joke. 

Thanks BB and learned something.Have no clue what yellow text and black background means. 

Nice. Preet's approval means a lot to me. 

Special Counsel is a great idea it will either prove or disprove whether anybody in the Trump campaign was involved with the Russians but the part that many people may not be expecting is it will also track down the people inside who have been doing the leaks. We saw it with Hillary and we are seeing it with Trump career people have been leaking information for political reasons.  Internal leaks for political reasons are very dangerous. If you see behavior that you think is illegal you report it through the proper channels not directly to the news outlet that supports your personal political view. There are means setup to report these types of things anonymously if you think that there will be retaliation.

Mueller is a great choice as I believe he has the gravitas that what he finds will be accepted by most people.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Special Counsel is a great idea it will either prove or disprove whether anybody in the Trump campaign was involved with the Russians but the part that many people may not be expecting is it will also track down the people inside who have been doing the leaks. We saw it with Hillary and we are seeing it with Trump career people have been leaking information for political reasons.  Internal leaks for political reasons are very dangerous. If you see behavior that you think is illegal you report it through the proper channels not directly to the news outlet that supports your personal political view. There are means setup to report these types of things anonymously if you think that there will be retaliation.

Mueller is a great choice as I believe he has the gravitas that what he finds will be accepted by most people.

Not necessarily.  

Internal leaks are also essential for a free press and the critical job they do in our democracy as a check on government.

Most of the internal leaks we are now talking about include classified inf formation and  that is illegal to be given to the press.

I hope Mueller investigates that also.....

40 minutes ago, WDavE said:

Most of the internal leaks we are now talking about include classified inf formation and  that is illegal to be given to the press.

I hope Mueller investigates that also.....

While that may be an issue, it's not on the same level.  Not by a long shot.

I expect the leaks to slow down now that Special Counsel has been appointed and they have someone official they can take the info to.

2 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I expect the leaks to slow down now that Special Counsel has been appointed and they have someone official they can take the info to.

Not a chance they will go to Mueller. They would have to go public and be on the record which none of these cowards would be willing to do .

The only reason that leaks might dry up is that there is a much greater risk that the leakers will be identified and called to account for their  likely criminal activities. 

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not a chance they will go to Mueller. They would have to go public and be on the record which none of these cowards would be willing to do .

The only reason that leaks might dry up is that there is a much greater risk that the leakers will be identified and called to account for their  likely criminal activities. 

I love how someone doing the right thing under great personal risk to their careers and possibly even their safety is being a "coward."  Of course, that's only because their information undermined Trump.  If someone had anonymously leaked information about Obama doing reckless things like this, we'd be hailing them as brave patriots doing what had to be done to protect the country from an irresponsible man in the Oval Office.

Just because Mueller is in place doesn't mean anyone *has* to go on the record.  If they don't trust they will be protected anonymous information can still get to Mueller to point him where he needs to do more digging.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I love how someone doing the right thing under great personal risk to their careers and possibly even their safety is being a "coward."  Of course, that's only because their information undermined Trump.  If someone had anonymously leaked information about Obama doing reckless things like this, we'd be hailing them as brave patriots doing what had to be done to protect the country from an irresponsible man in the Oval Office.

Just because Mueller is in place doesn't mean anyone *has* to go on the record.  If they don't trust they will be protected anonymous information can still get to Mueller to point him where he needs to do more digging.

Just saying that Mueller will not take "hearsay"  as evidence and when he tells one of the leakers to raise his / her hand and say..... "under penalty of perjury I promise to tell the truth....." you are going to see lots of Fifth Amendment options taken.  

Numerous leaks from these patriots have already been debunked ....including Rosenstein's comments today which totally blows away the "leak" that he was pressured by DT to write that letter.   Trump knew was Rosenstein was going to write because he had already been told in person by the guy....and nothing wrong with that. JMO but some of these folks are no better than Snowden or Manning....      

To date...there is no PROOF about any of the stuff relating to Russia and Trump...Clapper and numerous others testifying to congress have confirmed that. Meanwhile it's gonna be fun when Comey has to take an oath and face possibility of perjury when asked some difficult questions about who unmasked various US citizens and who authorized what phone intercepts, had he ever talked with the NYT or WP....?.

As I've said numerous times....I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may....but I don't trust anyone who remains anonymous and whose agenda we don't know.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just saying that Mueller will not take "hearsay"  as evidence and when he tells one of the leakers to raise his / her hand and say..... "under penalty of perjury I promise to tell the truth....." you are going to see lots of Fifth Amendment options taken.  

He doesn't have to take it as evidence.  He can just take it as "here's where you need to dig to find evidence."

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Numerous leaks from these patriots have already been debunked ....including Rosenstein's comments today which totally blows away the "leak" that he was pressured by DT to write that letter.   Trump knew was Rosenstein was going to write because he had already been told in person by the guy....and nothing wrong with that. JMO but some of these folks are no better than Snowden or Manning....      

To date...there is no PROOF about any of the stuff relating to Russia and Trump...Clapper and numerous others testifying to congress have confirmed that. Meanwhile it's gonna be fun when Comey has to take an oath and face possibility of perjury when asked some difficult questions about who unmasked various US citizens and who authorized what phone intercepts, had he ever talked with the NYT or WP....?.

As I've said numerous times....I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may....but I don't trust anyone who remains anonymous and whose agenda we don't know.

Well, this is naive.  In an ideal world, a whistleblower in government or business should be able to disclose information they have of illegal or unacceptably irresponsible activities on the record with no fear of reprisal or consequences.  We don't live in that world, we live in this one where whistleblowers and principled informants face real threats to their livelihood and safety.  So anonymous sources will have to be part of the puzzle.  Can you take anonymous sources to a jury?  Of course not.  But they alert you to things that need to be looked into and investigated and can often even point you to where you need to be looking harder.  

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

To date...there is no PROOF about any of the stuff relating to Russia and Trump...Clapper and numerous others testifying to congress have confirmed that.

Clapper confirmed nothing except that he personally had seen nothing up to the time he testified.  He also clarified that his comment did not mean there was no such proof/evidence, only that there was no reason for a person in his particular position to see it and it would be appropriate that he hadn't.   He never confirmed such evidence did not exist (or that it did exist).

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He doesn't have to take it as evidence.  He can just take it as "here's where you need to dig to find evidence."

Well, this is naive.  In an ideal world, a whistleblower in government or business should be able to disclose information they have of illegal or unacceptably irresponsible activities on the record with no fear of reprisal or consequences.  We don't live in that world, we live in this one where whistleblowers and principled informants face real threats to their livelihood and safety.  So anonymous sources will have to be part of the puzzle.  Can you take anonymous sources to a jury?  Of course not.  But they alert you to things that need to be looked into and investigated and can often even point you to where you need to be looking harder.  

Maybe but I'm more than a bit leery of some self appointed arbiter of moral values run around spreading stories to the media with no  accountability if they are wrong or just want to cause grief for a fellow employee.  I think it's even more naive to think that these people only are looking after the national good and have no personal or political agenda.  

And I sure don't trust a newspaper that has openly expressed a desire to bring down a president it does not like....trust them to be an objective judge of motives and accuracy or whoever helps them sell clicks or newspapers.   This is not much different than all those "whistle blowers" who flood the NCAA with evidence of cheating by their main rivals. JMO

I look forward to the facts and have no romantic fantasies about what is going on. 

Archived