Best Special Teams Player Ever

13 hours ago, Beaker said:

You're right.  It was Urban "I need to retire due to a heart condition," "no wait, I can leave the SEC and get a plum job, " Myers.  The kick so nice, he did it twice.

I believe it was Urban who started this call the time-out at the last second crap. 

• Like 1

Anybody remember Dennis Collier on kick-off coverage?  Brought a lot of enthusiasm and hustle during a time when there wasn't a lot to get excited about. 

• Like 1

Stats wise our best returner ever may be Thomas Bailey.  He was definitely very consistent over his career.  

Tim Carter was also really good back there.  I will never forget listening to Jim Fyffe's call of his big KOR against LSU in 2000 while I was cleaning up the meat department at SAM's Club for the night!  It flipped what had become a very tight game.

• Like 3

So no one is going to mention Greg Gantt? ? Or David Langner or Bill Newton?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Stats wise our best returner ever may be Thomas Bailey.  He was definitely very consistent over his career.  

Tim Carter was also really good back there.  I will never forget listening to Jim Fyffe's call of his big KOR against LSU in 2000 while I was cleaning up the meat department at SAM's Club for the night!  It flipped what had become a very tight game.

Tim Carter was definitely a good kick returner but he's a close 2nd for me. But I've got to go with Tristan Davis at kick returner.

I'd go with Roderick Hood at punt returner.

For punter, I'd probably go with Terry Daniel, although a close 2nd for me would be Kody Bliss.

For kicker, I know he's still got one more year left but Daniel Carlson is already the best kicker we've ever had. But my all-time favorite kick was in 2001 against #1 Florida. I know he was never the most consistent but I loved watching Damon Duval kick. I've never seen any other kicker we've had, except for Daniel Carlson, get the kind of height on his kicks that Duval did.

39 minutes ago, Abbygpaw said:

Mike Fuller also deserves a nod. Fearless punt returner and almost never let a punt hit the ground. 

even in the pro's played for Charges

• Like 1

PK: Carlson

Punter: Terry Daniel. Honorable mention: David Beverly 

Kickoff Return: Thomas Bailey 

Punt Returner: Tie. Mike Fuller, Carnell Williams 

Kickoff Coverage:  Tie. Craig Sanders, Aundray Bruce.

Punter: 1. Terry Daniel

Place Kicker: 1. Wes Byrum & Daniel Carlson

Kickoff Return: James Brooks

Punt Return: 1. Thomas Bailey & Mike Fuller

Long Snapper: Josh Harris

Edited by aufan57

16 hours ago, api1957 said:

So no one is going to mention Greg Gantt? ? Or David Langner or Bill Newton?

No doubt Langner and Newton had two of the biggest special teams plays ever in the history of Auburn football.They do need a mention.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kd4au said:

Did not know he was on staff,thanks for the info.Hope he helps in coaching kickoff coverage.What is his position on the staff?

Defensive Graduate Assistant.  My understanding is, however, that Gus us very much coaching special teams by committee, so he could definitely be involved. @austudnt23 can probably shed more light as to what he is focusing on.

• Like 1

Long Snapper, Brian Brinsfield deserves an honorable mention in 93. Jim Fyffe literally voted him 1st place in the Heisman for never having a bad snap that season to Etheridge or Daniel, who were both invaluable to 11-0.

And in 13 years of calling football, if Jim Fyffe believed a Long Snapper was worthy of the Heisman, you know he was pretty damn good.

1993-special-teams.jpg

Edited by VipersStrike1
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 3:46 PM, WarEagle1982 said:

I loved Roderick Hood at PR. He just exploded up field the second he caught the ball.

Mike Fuller was also a good one back in the 70s.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

I loved Roderick Hood at PR. He just exploded up field the second he caught the ball.

Mike Fuller was also a good one back in the 70s.

agree

On 7/3/2017 at 10:19 AM, AUpreacherman22 said:

IMHO, Alexander Wright was our best returner ever.

I remember Alexander Wright well. He was fast. Very fast. He went on to play at the next level for the Dallas Cowboys. (If he played for another team afterwards, I can't say that I recall.)  If he was a great return man during his career at AU, it has escaped my memory completely.

On 7/4/2017 at 7:44 PM, Abbygpaw said:

Mike Fuller also deserves a nod. Fearless punt returner and almost never let a punt hit the ground. 

My first game was the 74 Chattanooga game. Fuller was definitely my first favorite AU player as a kid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

My first game was the 74 Chattanooga game. Fuller was definitely my first favorite AU player as a kid.

Fuller was a good guy once you got to know him

• Like 1

One player whose name I did not see mentioned was punter Connie Frederick. I will never forget that fake punt against bama in the 69 IB.:hellyeah:

Edited by milehighfan

Anybody remember Place Kicker John "Rat" Riley? As I remember he knocked home several over 50 yards which included, I believe, a school record 57 yarder. I admit I may be wrong because I am going by my memory, which doesn't work like it used to.:dunno:

• Like 1