Trump pardons fellow racist

TexasTiger

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I find all of our television news networks to be unwatchable.  I can draw my own conclusions based on the facts, and I would prefer a complete and unbiased presentation of said facts.  I definitely do not want facts delivered to me in a manner that purports to support my ideology.  That is dangerous, as an ideological echo chamber does nothing but erode critical thinking in many.  I consider the old format Headline News to be perfect, as it simply bombarded you with news in a condensed fashion.  No biased diatribes, or bias at all.  Responsibility was placed upon the viewer to put forth effort to learn more, which generally involved multiple sources.

I miss Al Jazeera America. Probably the least biased network we had while it was on. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I miss Al Jazeera America. Probably the least biased network we had while it was on. 

True. BBC World is pretty solid and avoids sensationalism.

9 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Headline News (old format) was news for people that wanted the most recent information, condensed, within 30 minutes, at any moment in time.  To me, it was perfect.  CNN (as you remember) tended to focus more on a few stories.  It was the channel you watched if you wanted exclusive coverage of a California earthquake, for example.  Fox News was the same.  Fox News was the first I noticed shifting into a blatant ideological slant in their coverage, which simultaneously shifted from coverage to almost exclusively op-ed.  That does not necessarily mean they were actually the first, just the first that I noticed.  It was very profitable for them, and other networks followed suit.

I cannot blame the outlets for being what they have become, as they are only providing something that people want.  What I find disturbing is that many people want news delivered to them in that fashion (which is not news at all), and then treat it as gospel.

Good stuff. I remember sitting  at the beach house in Panama City on a rain drenched week. This would have been mid 80's. Highjack of a grounded  airliner was in process and the updates plus live coverage where great. Sure Brad will correct but sure that originally CNN was TBS.  Ted Turner owned and married to Jane Fonda doing the Florida State Seminoles/Braves war chant ( both team names insulting). I do not recall Fox being the first to shift to "blatant ideology." 

21 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good stuff. I remember sitting  at the beach house in Panama City on a rain drenched week. This would have been mid 80's. Highjack of a grounded  airliner was in process and the updates plus live coverage where great. Sure Brad will correct but sure that originally CNN was TBS.  Ted Turner owned and married to Jane Fonda doing the Florida State Seminoles/Braves war chant ( both team names insulting). I do not recall Fox being the first to shift to "blatant ideology." 

CNN and TBS were both owned by Turner, but were never the same station.  CNN has always been it's own entity within the Turner umbrella (now Time Warner).

And to be fair to FSU, the Seminole Tribe has endorsed the school's use of the name.  The school actually works with the tribe to depict them in an honorable way.  Here's a very good read on their work together:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-states-unusual-bond-with-seminole-tribe-puts-mascot-debate-in-a-different-light/2014/12/29/5386841a-8eea-11e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html?utm_term=.a826a98e73e7

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

CNN and TBS were both owned by Turner, but were never the same station.  CNN has always been it's own entity within the Turner umbrella (now Time Warner).

And to be fair to FSU, the Seminole Tribe has endorsed the school's use of the name.  I believe the school actually works with the tribe to depict them in an honorable way.  Here's a very good read on their work together:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-states-unusual-bond-with-seminole-tribe-puts-mascot-debate-in-a-different-light/2014/12/29/5386841a-8eea-11e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html?utm_term=.a826a98e73e7

Thanks for the info Brad. I am glad to understand that FSU worked out the Seminole thing. We had a standing series with them in 80s and after every JHS game that chant stayed in my head for days. Did Fox  start the ideology broadcasting?

BTW, see you Saturday. Coming with Golf. Have some PBR and Bud Lite, Corona. Rib-eyes - butchers cut medium rare.   

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Michael Gerson no less.

Trump has called Arpaio a “great American patriot,” employing a definition of patriotism that includes extreme ethnic profiling, terror raids, and cruel and unusual punishment. A definition of patriotism that covers using internment camps in extreme heat, parading women and juvenile offenders for the cameras in chain gangs, and degrading inmates in creative acts of bullying. This is not patriotism; it is the abuse of power in the cause of bigotry......

........A society’s treatment of prisoners is a measure of its commitment to human dignity. Some of these men and women are guilty only of the wrong geography in trying to feed their families. Others have done terrible things. But they are still — all of them — men and women, human beings, at the complete mercy of the state. According to Jewish and Christian teaching, they bear God’s image, which can never be completely effaced. Treating them humanely is the expression of a defining national belief: that human rights are not earned or granted, they are recognized. Or not.

Arpaio made a career of dehumanizing prisoners in his charge. His pardon sends the signal that some people are less than human. In one sense, this is perfectly consistent. Trump has employed dehumanization as a political tool from the start — of refugees, of migrants, of Muslims. By his pardon of Arpaio, he has metaphorically pardoned his own cruel and divisive approach to politics. It is a further step in Trump’s normalization and entrenchment of bigotry in our public life.

This creates a personal dilemma for many Republicans. How do they explain to their neighbors, and to their own children, their involvement with an institution that has been allied with forces of exclusion (at least at the national level)? The answer is not for all people with pricked consciences to leave, lest only unpricked consciences remain. But complacency is permission. Resistance is required. Any party that swallows the Trump/Arpaio ethic will be poisoned. And gagging, in this case, is a sign of health.

5 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I thought you were being disingenuous. If you weren't, sorry. I simply struggle to understand how anyone paying attention could ask such a question.

Still no response.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks for the info Brad. I am glad to understand that FSU worked out the Seminole thing. We had a standing series with them in 80s and after every JHS game that chant stayed in my head for days. Did Fox  start the ideology broadcasting?

BTW, see you Saturday. Coming with Golf. Have some PBR and Bud Lite, Corona. Rib-eyes - butchers cut medium rare.   

It's arguable that Fox did start the ideology broadcasting.  Certainly it was a point of emphasis for Roger Ailes to push more of the conservative agenda.  However, there's no real empirical proof that it happened on this day or this time.  Should be noted though that it didn't take long for other networks to follow suit.

I'll be here!  Bought wood for the smoker earlier tonight.  Waiting to get the thick cut steaks until Saturday morning.  Making that run during Gameday.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

This creates a personal dilemma for many Republicans. How do they explain to their neighbors, and to their own children, their involvement with an institution that has been allied with forces of exclusion (at least at the national level)? The answer is not for all people with pricked consciences to leave, lest only unpricked consciences remain. But complacency is permission. Resistance is required. Any party that swallows the Trump/Arpaio ethic will be poisoned. And gagging, in this case, is a sign of health.

Micheal sounds like an evangelist begging for a love offering.  " Good grief" 

7 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Micheal sounds like an evangelist begging for a love offering.  " Good grief" 

Let's see. I usually call that sensationalist fluff and it still fits today.

Where are the no-nonsense articles these days other than Clay Travis's mailbag, of course. At least he is to the point and pretends to know how the world works. 

12 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Any news outlet that the Saudis want shut down is alright by me.  That said, I miss Al Jazeera America as well.  BBC News is still good.

Archived