Where's WDE?

CR

Havn't heard from him in a while. Wondering what he thought of Ga Southern game and his thoughts on Clemson?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CR said:

Havn't heard from him in a while. Wondering what he thought of Ga Southern game and his thoughts on Clemson?

You don't want to know my thoughts. Gus being Gus. Playing Chess with Clemson while Dabo is playing checkers. Smartest man in football. 

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You don't want to know my thoughts. Gus being Gus. Playing Chess with Clemson while Dabo is playing checkers. Smartest man in football. 

Umm...I think you have that backwards. 

55 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I was being sarcastic. You know how I feel about last Saturday. Gus still believes he is the smartest football coach in Mercia. 

I didn't know Gus once coached in Mercia......................that explains everything now. Think we need a good old Hank Williams song

Mercia (Old English: Miercna rīce) was one of the kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. The name is a Latinisation of the Old English Mierce or Myrce, meaning "border people" 

The those not in the know........

...............                like me.

4 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Wonder how much time will be spent reviewing last year's offensive game plan against Clemson??

I imagine once with the Benny Hill theme song looping in the background for laughs.

Gus should force himself to watch it every week so that it never happens again.

On another note, both Gus and Chip use headsets, but Chip was DEFINITELY calling plays. After the near turnover, int and fumble/td, Gus strongly encouraged Chip to call safe running plays. 

I suspect that the playbook will open quite a bit this week and resemble more like the A day game. 

What I saw was a nice mix of traditional Gus run plays (like them or not they were successful) and some improved passing plays (tho limited).

where I disagree strongly with Gus is that I think when we are playing teams like Ga Southern is the perfect time to work on the things that we aren't good at...throw the ball around. Give Clemson or anyone else MORE to think about.  But Gus thinks that showing his hand may increase the opponents preparation. 

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Mercia (Old English: Miercna rīce) was one of the kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. The name is a Latinisation of the Old English Mierce or Myrce, meaning "border people" 

Cryptic,

even for me. Looked it up too.

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

On another note, both Gus and Chip use headsets, but Chip is was DEFINITELY calling plays. After the near turnover, int and fumble/td, Gus strongly encouraged Chip to call safe running plays. 

I suspect that the playbook will open quite a bit this week and resemble more like the A day game. 

What I saw was a nice mix of traditional Gus run plays (like them or not they were successful) and some improved passing plays (tho limited).

where I disagree strongly with Gus is that I think when we are playing teams like Ga Southern is the perfect time to work on the things that we aren't good at...throw the ball around. Give Clemson or anyone else MORE to think about.  But Gus thinks that showing his hand may increase the opponents preparation. 

What you just mentioned is where I get torn on. I completely agree that vs lesser opponents is where you iron out these details but how much of your hand do you want to give? This game really reminded me of the 2010 campaign offensively. I will say that traditionally it takes atleast 3 games in for Gus's offenses to really click.

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

On another note, both Gus and Chip use headsets, but Chip was DEFINITELY calling plays. After the near turnover, int and fumble/td, Gus strongly encouraged Chip to call safe running plays. 

Good lord turnovers are going to happen . That play was just mishap by the QB . I hate that mentality sometimes. 

21 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Wonder how much time will be spent reviewing last year's offensive game plan against Clemson??

17 minutes ago, MaxP said:

I imagine once with the Benny Hill theme song looping in the background for laughs.

Gus should force himself to watch it every week so that it never happens again.

One might hope that past is past.

Looking forward, concerning this year's game plan, Will it..? (and apologies to Music-thread denizens, for whom I've already posted this)

17 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yup. Gus is trying to play poker more than football.

25 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

If we look sloppy against Clemson execution-wise because we didn't take that opportunity to practice our new offense with our new QB, then I will have a tough time getting over it. "Okay Stid, now we're going to try that thing we talked about, on the road, against the defending national champion and one of the best D lines in the nation. Don't worry, it'll be fine!" 

Anxiety. I has it. 

The whole "I'm not going to show them the real AU offense to try to trick them" (if that is really the mindset) is so Mickey Mouse as to be laughable. Execution, discipline. and good game-planning will win, not sneakiness. Saban, Urban, and even Dabo aren't playing these silly games for their success.

Well, Gus seems a bit paranoid so probably fits his personality to a T.  If it makes him feel better more power to him.  ALL coaches are control freaks and at every level.  

I saw some of the same running game as last year and some different running game fom last year. I also saw some different passing than last year.  I did see an O-Line that had some issues with run Blitz's hence the number of tackles for loss. I saw a RT who got exposed in a few passing situations.  The defensive Blitz's were a two way street yes we had some losses because of them but they also led to some very long gains. Blitzing to much exposes a defense, I expect Clemson to rely on their front 4 more than Georgia Southern.  The three dropped passes add almost 100 yards to JS passing totals and brings us to close to 300 yards passing and just under 700 yards of total offense and adds another 7-10 points to the score.

The big change I want to see this week is a few more 1st down passes to keep D-Line honest and a few passes on 2nd and short after a nice gain on 1st down. Those few changes would make it appear like a totally different game plan.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If we look sloppy against Clemson execution-wise because we didn't take that opportunity to practice our new offense with our new QB, then I will have a tough time getting over it. "Okay Stid, now we're going to try that thing we talked about, on the road, against the defending national champion and one of the best D lines in the nation. Don't worry, it'll be fine!" 

Anxiety. I has it. 

What if that was our new offense? We're doomed.

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I was being sarcastic. You know how I feel about last Saturday. Gus still believes he is the smartest football coach in Mercia. 

I am with you 100%.  We keep thinking this past Saturday was vanilla and that we will open it up and surprise Dabo.  Dabo goes out and teaches a clinic on curb stomping for all to see and could care a less if Gus has film of it or not.  It's called getting your team ready for the game this weekend.  He did it on the field and we did it in practice.

Archived