Where's WDE?

CR

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

where I disagree strongly with Gus is that I think when we are playing teams like Ga Southern is the perfect time to work on the things that we aren't good at...throw the ball around. Give Clemson or anyone else MORE to think about.  But Gus thinks that showing his hand may increase the opponents preparation. 

I can see where he's coming from, just because we're facing Venables. He's good enough without being able to scheme for your entire playbook.  The element of surprise could really work in our favor in this case. I don't know that the value of repping a play once or twice against GA Southern outweighs the ability to spring the play on Clemson without them being able to prepare for it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if Auburn was holding back some secret plays, or if that was all there is. Either way, there was plenty to work on this week just from what plays were run.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

I don't know if Auburn was holding back some secret plays, or if that was all there is. Either way, there was plenty to work on this week just from what plays were run.

Gus as much as said, in his conference today, that the game play for GA Southern was not the game plan for Clemson and we will see plenty from players that we didn't see on Saturday. It wasn't about holding back "secret plays", it was about implementing what was necessary to win and not emptying the playbook before it was necessary.

Okay, but that does not change the fact that, just the playbook that was used against Georgia Southern, there is work still to be done on those.

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

On another note, both Gus and Chip use headsets, but Chip was DEFINITELY calling plays. After the near turnover, int and fumble/td, Gus strongly encouraged Chip to call safe running plays. 

I suspect that the playbook will open quite a bit this week and resemble more like the A day game. 

What I saw was a nice mix of traditional Gus run plays (like them or not they were successful) and some improved passing plays (tho limited).

where I disagree strongly with Gus is that I think when we are playing teams like Ga Southern is the perfect time to work on the things that we aren't good at...throw the ball around. Give Clemson or anyone else MORE to think about.  But Gus thinks that showing his hand may increase the opponents preparation. 

My point exactly. I don't understand this saving plays stuff until you get to the bigger games. We're not to that point as an offense or program for that matter. We need to get better on offense and need every snap we can to do that. 

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

i am not sure what to think....i guess the team did not win they way some wanted them to win....is the season doomed already?

It's more about the mentality of our coach if it's true that we held back a great deal and didn't take the opportunity to execute much of the offense we'll be running this season. I'm certainly not doom and gloom but these are the types of things that separate good teams from great teams and if our so called leader HC Gus has this sort of thinking then it could hurt us in the long run.

I don't expect for the offense to look completely different but i do think that if we're trying to save on to plays against better teams, we better think twice. We have a new OC, a new QB and new Tackles. Like someone mentioned in the post above...you don't see Saban and Dabo holding out for the big games. Teams still have to execute no matter what the game plan is. I just hope going forward we're using those cupcake games a lot better than we did against GA Southern. I certainly think the 2nd half was much better and we have some good things to build off of offensively. Only other thing i couldn't accept was the turnovers.  

Best thread since saturday. And who'd've thunk it going by the title? I think I ran out of thumbs upses in this thread alone. I personally wanted to see a total mentality change. Either we are who we saw Saturday and I'm pissed, or we skipped a chance to tune it up and I'm pissed. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it doesn't indicate having learned any lessons. I'd just assume beat my face on a brick wall as watch us "sit on" the playbook ever again. Nice thread.

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You don't want to know my thoughts. Gus being Gus. Playing Chess with Clemson while Dabo is playing checkers. Smartest man in football. 

I can't like this statement too much.  Gus is out thinking himself yet again this year.

This is Gus Malzahn. This is who he is. This is who he has always been. He rather out trick you  then out execute you. He always "saves" his best game plans for the toughest opponents. Against the little sisters of the poor? Wash. rinse. repeat. Run the ball up the middle and gain a trillion yards rushing that does not accomplish or help us at all in the area we have always needed help on fine tuning since he became head coach which is the passing game. The only game I have ever seen us have a great passing game against a good defense since malzahn became the HC was the 2014 Iron Bowl and he STILL gus'd it up with the RZ woes. Most frustrating Iron Bowl loss in my 28 years. 

20 hours ago, MaxP said:

I imagine once with the Benny Hill theme song looping in the background for laughs.

Gus should force himself to watch it every week so that it never happens again.

Gus should take the week off.

I don't care about anything from last game but the substitution. If we have a suck season it's going to be because of that

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't care about anything from last game but the substitution. If we have a suck season it's going to be because of that

C'mon. The possibilities are much broader than that.

21 hours ago, MaxP said:

I imagine once with the Benny Hill theme song looping in the background for laughs.

Gus should force himself to watch it every week so that it never happens again.

Huge fan of Benny Hill

Me too golf. My kids clean up their mess to the Benny Hill theme. They call it the fast cleanup song, and it is hilarious to watch. Now back on topic: where's WMD?

Just listening to sports radio xm 84 and they indicate Dabo is the second coming of Saban, but in a softer package. Not many of those out there.....and to think the fan base wanted him fired in 2010 (or was it 11)

16 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Best thread since saturday. And who'd've thunk it going by the title? I think I ran out of thumbs upses in this thread alone. I personally wanted to see a total mentality change. Either we are who we saw Saturday and I'm pissed, or we skipped a chance to tune it up and I'm pissed. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it doesn't indicate having learned any lessons. I'd just assume beat my face on a brick wall as watch us "sit on" the playbook ever again. Nice thread.

Yeah, I'm exercising my thumb to death here. I wish I could like this post a hundred times. I am very much like you brother. I am kind of pissed either way. If we went vanilla because Jarret made a mistake, and underthrew a ball over the middle, I just don't know what to say. It was not going vanilla that caused our new QB to be running for his life too frequently against a Sunbelt defense. 

On 9/5/2017 at 11:21 AM, passthebiscuits said:

On another note, both Gus and Chip use headsets, but Chip was DEFINITELY calling plays. After the near turnover, int and fumble/td, Gus strongly encouraged Chip to call safe running plays. 

I suspect that the playbook will open quite a bit this week and resemble more like the A day game. 

What I saw was a nice mix of traditional Gus run plays (like them or not they were successful) and some improved passing plays (tho limited).

Ummm, just what I hoped wouldn't be happening this season, the fear factor is still in Gus.  

I posted sometime last month that it could take half the season before Gus trusted his new OC & QB.  I was met with strongly differing opinions, and was told that Gus had turned over the entire offensive controls to Lindsey and we wouldn't see him meddle in the playcalling/play selection this year.

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I can see where he's coming from, just because we're facing Venables. He's good enough without being able to scheme for your entire playbook.  The element of surprise could really work in our favor in this case. I don't know that the value of repping a play once or twice against GA Southern outweighs the ability to spring the play on Clemson without them being able to prepare for it.

Very valid point, but then again, Venables has a lot of ASU and Southern Miss film to look at, too. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very valid point, but then again, Venables has a lot of ASU and Southern Miss film to look at, too. 

Not sure whether that is valid...gotta consider what CCL had to work with at those schools and I expect if he is the OC we hope he is, he tailored his offense to suit his talent.    Bet he didn't have guys like Pettway and KJ.....or road graders like Braden Smith to lead the way.     

Folks will probably blame it on Gus but in my view, if CCL does not take advantage of the running game talent he's not the coach I think/hope he is.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He does... and he's scary even with no film, but I'm open to any advantage we can find to slow him down. Love Steele, but Venables is probably the best DC in the country.

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He does... and he's scary even with no film, but I'm open to any advantage we can find to slow him down. Love Steele, but Venables is probably the best DC in the country.

Yeah, definitely a case to be made for keeping him guessing. I just happen to be a big believer in getting guys new guys more reps in a new offense. 

If we look good Saturday, then my fears were for naught and Gus will have my confidence going forward. 

Archived