We should dominate MSU next week like uga is tonight

AUIH1

Miss St is not the same without cowbells. Logical or not, it’s the truth. Those are an unfair advantage when they play at home but mean nothing playing a road SEC game. Playing them in a night game at JHS is an advantage for us. And our defense is very similar to UGA’s and they just exploited their offense.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At what point were we struggling to Mercer level teams last year? Blowing out that Arkansas team was incredible, but that squad couldn’t hold Miss St’s jock strap. They lost to LSU by a similar margin later on if I remember correctly 

If you are referring to Arkansas last year, they only lost to LSU 38-10, and as far as Mississippi State goes, they beat Mississippi State 58-42 last year in Starkville.

31 minutes ago, selias said:

Those wildcat plays in the RZ will turn into field goals against quality competition.

Maybe...but hard to tell....just browsed the PBB and seems that KJ scored the first time he carried the ball on each goal line situation...and AU scored either on first or second down each time down there...KM tried at least one shot at the end zone but did not make it.   Otherwise, AU never even bothered to try anything else...and why should they when the WC seemed to do the job so quickly ?  

6 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

U do know that I believe Missouri had 1 or 2 preseason All SEC dlineman. I believe that is correct.

I tend to consider preseason anything the equivalent of bird cage liner but....you are right. Missouri had a single DL listed as a preseason All SEC pick. Marcell Frazier was listed as 3rd team defense preseason All SEC. Missouri is hot garbage.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Maybe...but hard to tell....just browsed the PBB and seems that KJ scored the first time he carried the ball on each goal line situation...and AU scored either on first or second down each time down there...KM tried at least one shot at the end zone but did not make it.   Otherwise, AU never even bothered to try anything else...and why should they when the WC seemed to do the job so quickly ?  

In my opinion, the game turned into a glorified practice. To me, those RZ trips should have been used to work on something other than hammering KJ up the middle on a play that darn near everyone knows where it's going. We've had RZ problems for a couple years now, running the WC like we always do in that part of the field.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

The realization in terms of product and consumers is you aren't going to make everyone happy. It is what it is .

Agree,  but you can't be one dimensional on the goal line. Wildcat right won't work against the remaining SEC schedule. We didn't exactly blow Mizzou off the ball. 

8 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Agree,  but you can't be one dimensional on the goal line. Wildcat right won't work against the remaining SEC schedule. We didn't exactly blow Mizzou off the ball. 

The goal yesterday was to impose our will on a much inferior opponent , gain confidence and work on cohesiveness as a unit. They did that while running an open playbook, which was fairly balanced . They did that . Far more important , they needed to score touchdowns. If we wouldn't have scored touchdowns and settled for fgs then the narrative would've been "we can't even score against Mizzou" !

I agree we can't be one dimensional. I am sure the coaches have taken this into consideration but the fact is we needed a game like this just to get back to the basics . Some of y'all seem to forgot Mercer prior to this week. The biggest thing is confidence and trust . Rome wasn't built in a day. I rather go into Mississippi state confident we can run the offense .

7 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Just to note that it worked for thuga against MSU...nice TD by Chubb from the direct snap. ...  http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article166287107.html

And of course if you have a guy like Jackson or Fitzgerald at QB...you don't have to call it a "wildcat"..you just turn the guys loose to run with the ball anytime you want to.  .

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

The goal yesterday was to impose our will on a much inferior opponent , gain confidence and work on cohesiveness as a unit. They did that while running an open playbook, which was fairly balanced . They did that . Far more important , they needed to score touchdowns. If we wouldn't have scored touchdowns and settled for fgs then the narrative would've been "we can't even score against Mizzou" !

I agree we can't be one dimensional. I am sure the coaches have taken this into consideration but the fact is we needed a game like this just to get back to the basics . Some of y'all seem to forgot Mercer prior to this week. The biggest thing is confidence and trust . Rome wasn't built in a day. I rather go into Mississippi state confident we can run the offense .

When you say " I am sure the coaches have taken this into consideration..." you have to remember you're talking about Gus. It's the same wildcat package we ran against GSU and Mercer (sans KP). I'm glad we're going in confident against MSU as well, and I don't think I'll ever forget the Mercer game. 

We can be enthusiastic about the fact that Auburn definitely showed signs of improvement this week, but we also have to understand who we played.

Normally, a blow out win against Missouri would be a very good sign, but this year Missouri would struggle to beat Georgia Southern. They are a really bad football team and an abysmal SEC team.

Not trying to take anything away from this on the field victory and the performance of our Tigers, but I would not look at this game and say we have turned the  corner. We should savor and enjoy it, learn from it, and see it as a confidence booster, but we have a lot of work and improvement to do as we enter the real proving ground that is the SEC gauntlet.

BTW, I agree that we should demolish MSU talent wise. Our defense should stifle their offense, but I honestly do not know how our offense will look against a good (not great) defense. Our running game is still weak (due to our top performers playing at 90% or less and our Offensive line not opening holes). Passing game is getting there as Stidham is becoming more comfortable and gaining confidence in himself and his decisions. Receivers (outside of Hastings) are still not running crisp routes. They got open, but it was more due to the hapless Missouri defense than anything they were doing. Kyle Davis looked better, so that is encouraging. I am still waiting for Nate Craig Meyers to play up to his ability. If he starts playing lights out, he will be special. 

11 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

When you say " I am sure the coaches have taken this into consideration..." you have to remember you're talking about Gus. It's the same wildcat package we ran against GSU and Mercer (sans KP). I'm glad we're going in confident against MSU as well, and I don't think I'll ever forget the Mercer game. 

Not talking about Gus. Talking about CCL

1 hour ago, selias said:

I tend to consider preseason anything the equivalent of bird cage liner but....you are right. Missouri had a single DL listed as a preseason All SEC pick. Marcell Frazier was listed as 3rd team defense preseason All SEC. Missouri is hot garbage.

Buckner Jr is a stud we recruited him. Also

1 hour ago, selias said:

Also how about giving our players who bust their ass all week some credit. Put aside your feeling for coach and AD amd be happy for the players who beat an SEC team on road by almost 40.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not talking about Gus. Talking about CCL

Hope he has control and self scouts. We'll find out over the next several weeks. I have a feeling MSU could make or break our season. 

48 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Also how about giving our players who bust their ass all week some credit. Put aside your feeling for coach and AD amd be happy for the players who beat an SEC team on road by almost 40.

The players are well accredited and loved by this board. Top 2 or 3 group of talent in the country. Could've been steamrolling the.......hell nevermind.

14 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

The players are well accredited and loved by this board. Top 2 or 3 group of talent in the country. Could've been steamrolling the.......hell nevermind.

don't waste your time, just hope for the best....this team is talented enough to dance with the stars but will end up square dancing in shreveport due to poor schemes and poor coaching

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

don't waste your time, just hope for the best....this team is talented enough to dance with the stars but will end up square dancing in shreveport due to poor schemes and poor coaching

We could finish 11-1 and you'd still be harping on negatives, based upon your attitude in every post I've seen you make on this board. Don't pretend you aren't a hater.

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont know why you would believe this, Georgia is a better team than us it seems

If we go from barely beating a D3 team to blowing out a top 25 team, I'd be appalled 

I believe that AU iS indeed a BETTER TeAM right now than the Starkville legg humpers. We must play lock down defense and absolutely STUFf the running game. Then get sacks or interceptions when the attempt to pass. We have greater athletes than do they. We must form a game plan that is heavy rum. THAT WILL OPEN UP PLAY ACTION PASSES. STIDHAM IS AT HIS BEST GIVEN TIME. We could be in good shape. Of course the next game I Coach will be my first. A healthy KP would serves us well. My two cents. What say you?    War Damn ? Eagle!!!

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

We could finish 11-1 and you'd still be harping on negatives, based upon your attitude in every post I've seen you make on this board. Don't pretend you aren't a hater.

I call em' like I see em" and if you think that these offensive coaches are going to go up against Kirby Smart and Nick Saban defenses and win with their game planning, I am just going to point and laugh.   What are ya'll looking at?....What makes you think that this is anything other than an 8-4 football team?

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I call em' like I see em" and if you think that these offensive coaches are going to go up against Kirby Smart and Nick Saban defenses and win with their game planning, I am just going to point and laugh.   What are ya'll looking at?....What makes you think that this is anything other than an 8-4 football team?

It's amazing you can see anything considering where you head appears to be. Give it a rest and enjoy a win.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

why should they when the WC seemed to do the job so quickly ?

For practice, we have been struggling in the red zone, we need more options other than just the wildcat. We need to see what else may work and what else we can do that will get touchdowns and not FG's.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

If you looked at my history, you'd see I was happy about the win. I'm just not sure what it really said about our team, if anything.

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I call 'em like I see 'em, too, and you've been nothing but negative since you appeared on this message board, even calling out insiders whose opinions you disagree with. You don't strike me as an Auburn fan as much as you do a hater who won't be satisfied no matter what. Don't think that's gone unnoticed.

Just now, kd4au said:

For practice, we have been struggling in the red zone, we need more options other than just the wildcat. We need to see what else may work and what else we can do that will get touchdowns and not FG's.

I understand what you are saying, but many other people are harping on the fact that Mizzou is godawful.

Honest question: if this ended up being a "glorified practice" (as selias has noted), what benefit would have been gathered having run something "new" at the goal line versus just doing it in practice and not having it on film?

Archived