We should dominate MSU next week like uga is tonight

AUIH1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm not saying we aren't better, we certainly seem more talented and their strength on offense is our strength on defense. I just don't know how you can predict us to blow them out just cause they lost heavily to Georgia. Georgia's pretty damn good. Georgia looks the part of a team that's capable of winning a natty, they stack up at every position and Fromm is the biggest revelation in the SEC right now. I want us to blow them out, that'd be fantastic, I just don't have enough evidence in front of us to say that's something we can do. It's a leap of faith essentially

NEVER predicted or even hinted at a "blowout ". ???

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Against Mercer, I will admit that KP had a couple opportunities to break some runs out longer if he still had that first burst speed. And at the same time, his YPC was hurt by running plays directly up the middle after his big gains. But on the other hand, against them or GSU (or Missouri), there should be gaping holes to the point where 5 YPC should be the minimum, even for an half-assed elite back. So I'd chalk it to a few things

1. Our offensive line simply isn't dominant run blocking, or close thereto. Maybe they make strides though

2. The play calling running wise has been morbidly awful, at least in terms of creating big plays.

3. KJ and KP have been used time and time again on drives...no rests. Legs just too tired to create big plays

4. Most of the attempts at getting the ball out horizontally have involved WR sweeps/reverses, or fakes based off those used to hit players out in the flat. 

Kam NEEDS more carries against teams that matter as KP and KJ are gonna feel those hits alot more, but we haven't seen him do anything he shouldn't do against the competition he's played. I hope we get the oppor. to see him, Malik, and Devan shine against real opponents, because their skillset is as diverse as those before them 

All good points Rigby

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

So you're good with 3-2?

:)   Good point....but we've won two national championships with a bunch of 3 point wins on the schedules ....so guess winning is more important than losing or even the margin of the victory.    Yep it would sure be a big disappointment for the offense....but keep us undefeated in the SEC.   And would rather win 3-2 than lose with 40 points on the scoreboard....JMO

But I think more likely the scores will be in the upper 20s to lower 30s..

16 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Exactly. Our lows are too low because our highs are too high.

Such has it been

eCW6h5y.jpg

ETA - Wheeeeee

I have been overly negative the past few weeks, and keeping in mind that Missouri absolutely sucks I felt pretty good about Saturday evening.

First of all, the pre-season is effectively over for our staff as game 4 is now in the books (I'm simultaneously laughing, facepalming, and crying at this). 

2nd, we blew out a crappy Mizzou team which is what we were supposed to do. But we actually did it. Our O hadn't played well enough in any game yet to really finish a team and we did this on Saturday. Yes even though we had tons of yards vs Mercer, bottom line is we did not blow them away.

Pass protection was a big improvement it felt like. 

And what made me happiest was we were able to achieve first downs, which extended our drives, which led to our play makers actually getting opportunity to make plays due to how we waste snaps on the dreaded "run him right up the RG's butt crack" play.. We had enough snaps to give everyone on offense touches basically. Our playmakers on the outside have no production to fall back on in their careers so this is all a first for them. They needed this if for nothing else to get experienced making plays and giving them a confidence boost.

It looks like we may be improving, that does not mean we don't have areas for concern but we did what we should have done vs Mizzou which is something we haven't been able to do yet. It doesn't matter who the competition was IMO because that was not going to change no matter what happened on Saturday. But I am glad we looked good for the most part. The alternative was to look sloppy in a win, yet again, against an overmatched opponent

And of course the defense was great. Keep it up, D! 

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

:)   Good point....but we've won two national championships with a bunch of 3 point wins on the schedules ....so guess winning is more important than losing or even the margin of the victory.    Yep it would sure be a big disappointment for the offense....but keep us undefeated in the SEC.   And would rather win 3-2 than lose with 40 points on the scoreboard....JMO

But I think more likely the scores will be in the upper 20s to lower 30s..

At this point, I think a one or possibly two loss SEC Championship Game winner is virtually guaranteed a slot in the Playoff.  Winning is definitely more important than margin of victory.  If Auburn wins all remaining games, by one point, in the final seconds, they will be one of the four.

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Im talking about the original post/thread title lol 

We are going to blow them out.  Our D is as good or better than UGA's.   Hell, even if we revert back to Gus calling the plays, we kick 7 FGs and win 21-0.

wde

The biggest key in this game is how aggressive will the coaches be . UGA, with a true freshman starting , threw a perfect flea flicker which got the crowd in the game . The tone was set and MSU could not match it . Our crowd has been dead . Not much to cheer about . We need to set the tone early 

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We are going to blow them out.  Our D is as good or better than UGA's.   Hell, even if we revert back to Gus calling the plays, we kick 7 FGs and win 21-0.

wde

I don't get that feeling.    I expect a close one and all of this blowout talk worries me because the only decent team that we played, beat us.   No, let rephrase that,   We lost because we were outcoached, drastically

15 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I don't get that feeling.    I expect a close one and all of this blowout talk worries me because the only decent team that we played, beat us.   No, let rephrase that,   We lost because we were outcoached, drastically

MSU is vastly less talented than Clemson and vastly less coached.

wde

51 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

MSU is vastly less talented than Clemson and vastly less coached.

wde

maybe so, but I have doubts that we can run inside on them due to the fact that we couldn't run between the tackles on mercer or missouri.   May be due to RB injuries, but I didn't like what I saw when I re-watched the game.   We were able to run outside against Missouri but it remains to be seen if we can do against a defense with a pulse.   We'll see, but I do worry about it

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

My question is, why couldn't Miss St just bulldog our offensive line like Clemson did and eventually break our defense down? I mean Clemson wasnt even running exotic sets at a certain point, they were just overloading the edges and sat back in zone. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My question is, why couldn't Miss St just bulldog our offensive line like Clemson did and eventually break our defense down? I mean Clemson wasnt even running exotic sets at a certain point, they were just overloading the edges and sat back in zone. 

Because MSU's DL is not nearly as good as Clemson's and we shuffled our OL to get a better mix.  We destroyed MSU last year at MSU with less talent than we have now.  UGA exposed Fitzgerald to be a pedestrian QB.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Because MSU's DL is not nearly as good as Clemson's and we shuffled our OL to get a better mix.  We destroyed MSU last year at MSU with less talent than we have now.  UGA exposed Fitzgerald to be a pedestrian QB.

wde

You say less talent than we had last year, but which one of these teams actually looks better than they did last year? One blew out LSU and the other has a fan getting overly excited just because we blew out the worst power 5 team you can probably find. If we're using last year as a rference, our offensive line doesn't look any better at getting a push than it did last year (far worse IMO), and A&M, UA, and UGA all abused it in the same type of game I'm proposing. If it is a slug fest, a slug fest hasn't favored us in several years. Our offense is usually the first one to break time after time. Two of the teams I listed had inferior defensive fronts than current Miss St. I don't even factor us as having a major HFA when we've needed GW drives/stops to beat them in 2011 and 2013 here (and got clamped in 15). Insinuating that will be a force that propels us to blow them out doesn't add up to me. 

Again, I'm not saying we CAN'T blow them out. Its just that a series of reaches isn't enough for me to say we should. If we get just a 10 pt win, that should be more than enough for this program and its fanbase to get excited

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You say less talent than we had last year, but which one of these teams actually looks better than they did last year? One blew out LSU and the other has a fan getting overly excited just because we blew out the worst power 5 team you can probably find. If we're using last year as a rference, our offensive line doesn't look any better at getting a push than it did last year (far worse IMO), and A&M, UA, and UGA all abused it in the same type of game I'm proposing. If it is a slug fest, a slug fest hasn't favored us in several years. Our offense is usually the first one to break time after time. Two of the teams I listed had inferior defensive fronts than current Miss St. I don't even factor us as having a major HFA when we've needed GW drives/stops to beat them in 2011 and 2013 here (and got clamped in 15). Insinuating that will be a force that propels us to blow them out doesn't add up to me. 

Again, I'm not saying we CAN'T blow them out. Its just that a series of reaches isn't enough for me to say we should. If we get just a 10 pt win, that should be more than enough for this program and its fanbase to get excited

Three things that make me optimistic....JS is just starting maybe his 7th or 8th game in his entire college career.....he's still a rookie....still among the lesser experienced starters in the SEC.....and he seems to be making good progress game to game in my view.   Too much was expected of him based on just a few Big 12 games but he's coming around and unlikely to allow all those sacks in the future.  

Despite being touted as a DT quarterback, it's pretty apparent, to me at least, that he's not much of a threat with his feet and I bet the coaches see that too and are tailoring the offense to suit the RPO that CCL likes.    And the more JS runs it, the better he should get.

The OL seems to be settled now.

Golson moved to left tackle for most of the 3rd quarter, into the 4th. Darius James came in at right tackle. This happened on play where Craig-Myers scored. Not sure what this means for the future. Was Hand experimenting due to concerns about Wanogho at Left Tackle. Which o-line combo will we see against moo state? As of now, Auburn has three possible starting o-line combos.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:40 PM, aufan57 said:

Golson moved to left tackle for most of the 3rd quarter, into the 4th. Darius James came in at right tackle. This happened on play where Craig-Myers scored. Not sure what this means for the future. Was Hand experimenting due to concerns about Wanogho at Left Tackle. Which o-line combo will we see against moo state? As of now, Auburn has three possible starting o-line combos.

I didn't watch all the game but from what I heard, the offensive line was very solid at opening holes in the first half for non KJ running backs. As a neutral observer, I'd be more inclined to suggest a better pass blocking line than a better run blocking line, with the direction of this offense and how much Stidham is slinging it

Archived