Chuck Person

AUApostle

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

The Pitino situation is much different than ours.

Are you implying his past actions and the current situation have snowballed for him? He probably should've been fired long ago for the strippers in dorm rooms scandal

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Are you implying his past actions and the current situation have snowballed for him? He probably should've been fired long ago for the strippers in dorm rooms scandal

Two major things working against Pitino here.

1) His past transgressions at Louisville and the fact that they are already on probation.

2) The FBI allegations include his assistant paying players to attend Louisville.  That's a direct violation of NCAA rules to the worst degree.  Chuck hasn't been accused of that.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Two major things working against Pitino here.

1) His past transgressions at Louisville and the fact that they are already on probation.

2) The FBI allegations include his assistant paying players to attend Louisville.  That's a direct violation of NCAA rules to the worst degree.  Chuck hasn't been accused of that.

Yeah, and the assistant is on audio saying to keep it quiet because they are already on probation.

Apparently Louisville AD is also expected to be fired:

Louisville head coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich are expected to lose their jobs Wednesday. The ax is seemingly set to drop just one day after Louisville once again turned up in a bombshell scandal, this one orchestrated by the FBI.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16370060/rick-pitino-fired-louisville-basketball-college-fbi-scandal

This thing has these programs on the front page head lines ~ I imagine every Head Coach and their AD's will lose their jobs.  

You can't employ a coach on your staff directly involved in this stuff, whether the HC or the AD knew or not, it doesn't matter.  The optics are really bad and they University's have to make an effort to show they are serious about following the law and the NCAA rules.

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

This thing has these programs on the front page head lines ~ I imagine every Head Coach and their AD's will lose their jobs.  

You can't employ a coach on your staff directly involved in this stuff, whether the HC or the AD knew or not, it doesn't matter.  The optics are really bad and they University's have to make an effort to show they are serious about following the law and the NCAA rules.

I could certainly understand if Jacobs and Pearl were fired over this.  This brings Auburn the kind of publicity you never want your name associated with in any way.  When the assistant head coach is arrested for his involvement in a case affecting multiple universities and companies, it becomes difficult to make a convincing argument that he was the only one in Auburn that was involved OR knew something about it.  The assistant head coach was just arrested, and the head coach has had a show-cause for lying to the NCAA.  I like him, but I would be seriously contemplating firing Pearl and Jacobs to get as far out ahead of this as possible.

An FBI investigation has seemed to prove that CBP and AU were not involved, I mean that is more powerful than any NCAA investigation could find one would think.

An FBI investigation found that players were paid to sign with an agent not to attend AU

When numerous bama players were found to have received benefits from an agent, they just had to pay back money.

Don't know if someone posted this or not.   https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/key-witness-in-ncaa-basketball-scandal-is-fallen-investment-adviser.html

It's so crazy to me how unwise Person and these families were.  The firm they were being pushed to was under investigation by the SEC and a simple internet search would have revealed that, yet they didn't even go pause long enough to go to the web to check out the firm that is going to handle millions of dollars for your son?  That's simply insane. 

The moral of the story: if you're gonna take a bribe from someone, be sure to check "the google" before you do.  (I'm kidding.  Don't take a bribe.  Bribes are no bueno.)

24 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Don't know if someone posted this or not.   https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/key-witness-in-ncaa-basketball-scandal-is-fallen-investment-adviser.html

It's so crazy to me how unwise Person and these families were.  The firm they were being pushed to was under investigation by the SEC and a simple internet search would have revealed that, yet they didn't even go pause long enough to go to the web to check out the firm that is going to handle millions of dollars for your son?  That's simply insane. 

The moral of the story: if you're gonna take a bribe from someone, be sure to check "the google" before you do.  (I'm kidding.  Don't take a bribe.  Bribes are no bueno.)

I don't know why but I love so much when people use the term "the google" haha 

Sorry, so much to read through here, but summary please. Are we any closer to knowing what impact this may have on not only the basketball program but other programs (football) if the NCAA gets involved.

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

Sorry, so much to read through here, but summary please. Are we any closer to knowing what impact this may have on not only the basketball program but other programs (football) if the NCAA gets involved.

no we don't, but as said before this will go way beyond Auburn as the FBI said college athletics, that includes football.

Auburn may end up being the smallest of the problems that may be uncovered . Every major university in the country cant ignore this or not  be concerned.

I know the Pitino thing and AU's situation isn't the same but I don't have a good feeling about Bruce being our HC for very much longer and that saddens me

2 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

no we don't, but as said before this will go way beyond Auburn as the FBI said college athletics, that includes football.

Auburn may end up being the smallest of the problems that may be uncovered . Every major university in the country cant ignore this or not  be concerned.

Thanks for the response. Desperately hoping no ill comes to our programs!!

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I know the Pitino thing and AU's situation isn't the same but I don't have a good feeling about Bruce being our HC for very much longer and that saddens me

Yep.  It ain't fair if he truly had no idea it was happening.  AU just lost a commitment from a 6' 10" player that was a top 25 player in America, and I'm sure more will follow.  Even if Pearl doesn't get caught up in the mess, his ability to recruit top level talent has been obliterated, for the short term at least.  He'll be coaching with one arm tied behind his back, and it's a lousy position to be in.  AU basketball was starting to get its footing underneath it and looked to be headed for better things this year and Chuck Person just kicked the chair out from under it because he was a greedy piece of dirt.  I'm getting angrier just thinking about having to watch AU again this year without one (or perhaps two) of the top players in the conference.  Marcel Darius got caught getting illegal benefits (multiple plane rides to Miami) and got off paying the $ back, but it will be curious to see if AU gets similar treatment.    

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

When numerous bama players were found to have received benefits from an agent, they just had to pay back money.

This is false. Maybe this fits for one of their athletes.

And Saban has likened these agents as pimps. He’s clearly against them. “We only paid players to steer them to agents” really isn’t any better than paying them to come to Auburn. Quite frankly, I’m not so sure we were clean in recruiting anymore either. 

I would think the delay for a press conference is also to give enough time to confirm which (if any) of the players currently on the roster should be deemed ineligible this season.  At this point, that is my more urgent concern.  We do not need to play anyone that is considered to be ineligible. I would imagine we would then have to self-report violations to the NCAA (again if any occurred)?

I'm trying to find a silver lining here.  We can hope that this and the softball scandal combined with uneasiness around the football team will get JJ out of there and usher in a new regime that will turn this thing around at AU.  We have all the things needed for an ultra successful athletic department but need the right people in the right places.  We should be able to field a competitive bball team in men's and women's with a tourney appearance at least every 2 or 3 years.  We have already seen we can compete at the highest level of softball so the Women's College World Series should be our goal all the time.  Men's baseball should be going to Omaha at least every couple of years.  Football should be 9-10 wins consistently with a playoff run every few years at least.  Is this too much to ask? 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Assuming he really knew nothing, it saddens me as well and I'm not even a huge basketball fan. I hate that many people could lose their job IF they truly had no knowledge of the sketchiness. 

I hate it for the guys on our team who are eligible. 

Archived