Gus going for it on 4th dn to open game

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

I like how he decided to have a pair and call TO. He is usually SO conservative in "top 25" games. It was nice to see him take a chance. 

I think the boos forced that to be honest, the stadium started booing loudly and then he ran up the sideline to call a TO

Well it shows he is playing to win and not to lose. AU should go for 2 and kick an onside every now and then .. this shows you have faith in your team to execute 

I read somewhere that statistically every coach is actually going against the numbers when they opt to punt or kick a FG in 4th and 1 or less. It should be a no brainer IMO.

But I'm glad he called the timeout and went for it. It really kept the crowd amped up and rocking and hit MSU in the mouth early to set the tone

57 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think the boos forced that to be honest, the stadium started booing loudly and then he ran up the sideline to call a TO

Yes they did. The fans did not hold back with the boos. 

I've not been the biggest fan of CGM this season, but I liked that call. In fact, I was quite pleased with a fair portion of the play calling tonight. Hopefully CGM has seen the writing on the wall with all of the heat coming down on JJ and will keep his noggin out of his bottom the rest of the season

I was in the stadium and definitely fan influenced.  

However it was successful but we definitely waste way to many timeouts on the offensive side of the ball.  I think it was against Mercer in the first qtr we had plenty of time on the play clock had 2nd and 2 and called at TO.  

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I was in the stadium and definitely fan influenced.  

However it was successful but we definitely waste way to many timeouts on the offensive side of the ball.  I think it was against Mercer in the first qtr we had plenty of time on the play clock had 2nd and 2 and called at TO.  

I felt the same way, because you could hear years of anger and frustration in those boos, different from boos I’ve heard in the past

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I felt the same way, because you could hear years of anger and frustration in those boos, different from boos I’ve heard in the past

Exactly what I thought. I was at the game too and the boos definitely had an effect of changing his mind.

I mean great but it shouldn’t have even been a question much less having to waste a timeout. Some folks can pat Gus on the back and give him a cookie but I’d just say thanks Gus for doing your job. :)

13 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I mean great but it shouldn’t have even been a question much less having to waste a timeout. Some folks can pat Gus on the back and give him a cookie but I’d just say thanks Gus for doing your job. :)

True but maybe he is learning. In the last few years he would have kicked a FG. 

15 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Man, I was screaming at the TV when it looked like he was going to kick the FG.

yep,  mine was more of a "here we go again"    When we are at our best its not even an option in that situation to not go for it. 

I am amazed that those scenarios have not already been thought through in the previous week. He did the same thing at Clemson, calling 2 timeouts on the opening drive.

It would seem that on 4th and goal past a certain yard line coaches would already have it in theur gameplan that the dituation is a go.  And they would already have some set plays. I couldn't believe on 4th and the length of the football, gus brought out the kivk team.  I would be the crowd boos and perhap CL trying to get him to go for it changed his mind.  As a contrast, MSU had a 4 th and 2, no hesitation DM went for it with no time out, and got it.  The lack of aggressive play cost us the natty against fsu imo.  We pulled back the 2nd half and let them come back.

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Bothers me that he even considered kicking the FG from the less than 1 yard line.  I want Gus to be more aggressive in those short yardage situations. 

Exactly.  He has to think on every 3rd down, 'what if...'  'Under what conditions do we kick or go for it'.  It really bothered me that he even considered kicking.  Then had to call time out to think about it.  That was a wasted time out.  In that type of game, time outs can be crucial. You can't waste them by making bad decisions. 

Just now, around4ever said:

Exactly.  He has to think on every 3rd down, 'what if...'  'Under what conditions do we kick or go for it'.  It really bothered me that he even considered kicking.  Then had to call time out to think about it.  That was a wasted time out.  In that type of game, time outs can be crucial. You can't waste them by making bad decisions. 

At least he did make the right call when it was said and done.  

This type of thing is what drives me nuts about Gus.  The time out and decision to go for the TD should have never taken place if Gus wasn't so myopic about his 1st and 10 calls.  A RB dive after said RB ran 59 yards and is nursing a pulled muscle?  Really?  Can't Gus think outside his own box?  Evidently not.

We get anything on a different play call and we score on 3rd down.  We try this crap with a good defense and we're in trouble.  Wake up Gus, expand your horizon and have some situational awareness.

we get to judge all of Gus’s decisions in hindsight...in this case it made sense to go for it particularly to set the tone. But the moment you start letting fans influence your play calls is the minute you will be joining them in the stands. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

A RB dive after said RB ran 59 yards and is nursing a pulled muscle?  Really?  Can't Gus think outside his own box?  Evidently not.

This was the worst decision of the game. You call ANYTHING but a RB Dive to Johnson.

Nope. Gus gonna be Gus.

Archived