Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Having to compete with Saban and knowing if you can’t beat him you are pretty much toast. IMO Auburn will not be patient enough to let any coach build the program their way. Not in its  current state and with the power brokers currently in charge. There are many power 5 jobs that offer what you mentioned, the SEC and coaching in the state of Alabama is a grind and most coaches out there can’t handle it IMO. 

Lol. It is not Saban that is going to get Gus fired. It is Gus wetting the bed against UGA every year

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Mikey said:

No coach changes the culture of a university. Coach Jordan didn't change Auburn, Pat Dye didn't change Auburn, Auburn is Auburn and FSU is FSU. The experience of attending the two schools is very different and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Some prospects prefer AU, some prefer FSU and no coach can change that.

Another thing about Jimbo: His two big rivals, Florida and Miami have both been on historic down cycles. The 'Canes are back up this year, and sooner or later the Gators will be back up as well. Part of Jimbo's success is due to his two biggest rivals being down. That's not something Jimbo accomplished himself.

I think FSU is an exception Coach Bowden definitely changed the culture at FSU. FSU as a school was nothing special he made it special in football as well as the entire school. jmo

11 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Lol. It is not Saban that is going to get Gus fired. It is Gus wetting the bed against UGA every year

Come on you know that beating Alabama is a major player in being the head coach at Auburn.

21 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Having to compete with Saban and knowing if you can’t beat him you are pretty much toast. IMO Auburn will not be patient enough to let any coach build the program their way. Not in its  current state and with the power brokers currently in charge. There are many power 5 jobs that offer what you mentioned, the SEC and coaching in the state of Alabama is a grind and most coaches out there can’t handle it IMO. 

How many times does it have to be said Gus is not on the hot seat for not beating saban? It is for the playcalling in second half of the lsu game. 17 straight runs on first down. Are you kidding me? It is for completely blowing the 2015 and 2016 Georgia games. It is for going 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 in the years since 2013. We are staring at 8-4 IF he beats TAMU and 7-5 if he does not. He has the talent to win and he simply is not doing it. No more excuses. He has the QB. He has the defense and he is still so far failing miserably against the good teams. And LSU is not even good this year. That was a epic meltdown to a average team.

Belive me there are more than that if you are willing to pay and to agree to their control. Look back at Saben . Most people questioned ( including me) why uat would write a blank check and turn over the whole program to Saben . Besides the one NC with a two loss LSU team their first ain’t a lot of success. So you understand if you can get a decent coach and agree to move the he program forward then things get accomplished. When you bring a coach in and say “listen you win a couple of NCs then we will talk about some improvements around here” then your not going anywhere. Where NS was successful uat was so beat down they honored all his request up front and that made it possible for NS to make this run. At AU we always put the cart before the horse. That why we have such up and down crap. We have never been fully committed to winning. We just talk a good game.

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Belive me there are more than that if you are willing to pay and to agree to their control. Look back at Saben . Most people questioned ( including me) why uat would write a blank check and turn over the whole program to Saben . Besides the one NC with a two loss LSU team their first ain’t a lot of success. So you understand if you can get a decent coach and agree to move the he program forward then things get accomplished. When you bring a coach in and say “listen you win a couple of NCs then we will talk about some improvements around here” then your not going anywhere. Where NS was successful uat was so beat down they honored all his request up front and that made it possible for NS to make this run. At AU we always put the cart before the horse. That why we have such up and down crap. We have never been fully committed to winning. We just talk a good game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5634192

And Jacobs was the hold up. His job was to set the plans forward but all

he was ever worried about was himself. When we hire a AD and hold him responsible for improving the program rather than his ability to kiss up to a few big donors then we will

make progress.

29 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And Jacobs was the hold up. His job was to set the plans forward but all

he was ever worried about was himself. When we hire a AD and hold him responsible for improving the program rather than his ability to kiss up to a few big donors then we will

make progress.

this i agree with

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

How many times does it have to be said Gus is not on the hot seat for not beating saban? It is for the playcalling in second half of the lsu game. 17 straight runs on first down. Are you kidding me? It is for completely blowing the 2015 and 2016 Georgia games. It is for going 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 in the years since 2013. We are staring at 8-4 IF he beats TAMU and 7-5 if he does not. He has the talent to win and he simply is not doing it. No more excuses. He has the QB. He has the defense and he is still so far failing miserably against the good teams. And LSU is not even good this year. That was a epic meltdown to a average team.

not talking bout gus or his not seat..that was in relation to a potential new coach and why or why not they may consider Auburn. 

10 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Come on you know that beating Alabama is a major player in being the head coach at Auburn.

Of course it is, but Saban has that program at level beyond ours right now and it is not reasonable to expect us to split with them.  UGA on the other hand, has been very, very beatable the entire time Gus has been here and he only has a miracle play victory (after blowing a 20 point 2nd half lead) to show for it in 2013.  2015 and 2016 were two of the worst UGA teams in many years and Gus wet the bed.  Unfortunately for Gus, UGA has a pretty good team this year and will likely continue to have good teams in the future with the way Smart is recruiting.  

wde

10 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

That is not why he will get fired. Not why Les got fired. Les got fired for losing games he is NOT supposed to lose. The same thing will happen to Gus. Of course, everyone wants to beat Bama. Of course, the fans will be pissed if they lose to Bama, but the brokers understand how good they are. The issue is losing in manners and ways to other programs that A. you are more talented than or B. continuously losing premier games. Les was canned for continuous losses to Ole Miss, Arkansas who they overmatched. He was really done when he lost to us and Wisconsin. Same will happen to Ole Gus if he does not get it together.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Of course it is, but Saban has that program at level beyond ours right now and it is not reasonable to expect us to split with them.  UGA on the other hand, has been very, very beatable the entire time Gus has been here and he only has a miracle play victory (after blowing a 20 point 2nd half lead) to show for it in 2013.  2015 and 2016 were two of the worst UGA teams in many years and Gus wet the bed.  Unfortunately for Gus, UGA has a pretty good team this year and will likely continue to have good teams in the future with the way Smart is recruiting.  

wde

For Auburn to be a consistent championship program ...they have to beat Bama more than they lose to them. Especially with both teams being in the SEC West. Bama has been able to consistently compete for titles because they have been able to beat Auburn more than they lose to them. See what 10-2 gets you as an Auburn coach if one of those losses are always to Bama...

22 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

For Auburn to be a consistent championship program ...they have to beat Bama more than they lose to them. Especially with both teams being in the SEC West. Bama has been able to consistently compete for titles because they have been able to beat Auburn more than they lose to them. See what 10-2 gets you as an Auburn coach if one of those losses are always to Bama...

That is not Gus for certain, but until Saban retires, the reality that we live in is that it is not reasonable to think we are going to beat them consistently.  Again, at this point, AU needs a coach that competes with UGA and LSU with beating spuat with Saban as something we can hope to happen. 

wde

26 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

You are not going to get fired going 10-2 at Auburn. The notion is just silly. Secondly, no program is going to consistently beat Bama while Nick Saban is there.  Gus found a way to beat Saban, once. Hugh Freeze did it twice. Consistently? Hell no. What most AU fans want is a consistently competitive team. 

15 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m hoping with Jay gone the person making the next hire will set their sites higher. No mor AU ties. No more up and coming non P5 unproven in the big league. Need some one with proven CEO experience running a multi- million dollar business. Who will demand improvements to the structures and demand money for a support staff. Will insist the AU athletics become upper tier. Hire home run assistant coaches because he does not feel intimidated by anyone. Has a plan from the get go to build a maintainable championship football program that will be a top ten

every year with no excuses.

Is there really a chance that Yeller Wood feller will come off the cash enough to rip Nick away from the REC?  :bananadance:

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I tend to agree with what you said, but I would like to know what are those things that Saben requested that UAT put in place for him to be successful that AU has not or said they would talk about after a couple of NC. I am asking because I really would like to know.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are not going to get fired going 10-2 at Auburn. The notion is just silly. Secondly, no program is going to consistently beat Bama while Nick Saban is there.  Gus found a way to beat Saban, once. Hugh Freeze did it twice. Consistently? Hell no. What most AU fans want is a consistently competitive team. 

IMO 10-2 will not get you fired. Not beating Bama will. Auburn when ranked in the top ten has been very competitive against Saban.  Good Auburn teams have given Saban fits. And the worldknows they are gonna be hard to beat but that is no reason to just concede any game to them. And if Auburn wants to be a perennial national championship program they have to beat them on the field, If Bama had not beat Auburn 7 outta 9 times then they don’t compete for as many championships as they have. This game more often than not will be for the SEC West and shot at SEC title. SEC champs are usually in for the playoff. 

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO 10-2 will not get you fired. Not beating Bama will. Auburn when ranked in the top ten has been very competitive against Saban.  Good Auburn teams have given Saban fits. And the worldknows they are gonna be hard to beat but that is no reason to just concede any game to them. And if Auburn wants to be a perennial national championship program they have to beat them on the field, If Bama had not beat Auburn 7 outta 9 times then they don’t compete for as many championships as they have. This game more often than not will be for the SEC West and shot at SEC title. SEC champs are usually in for the playoff. 

Sorry, but this is flat out wrong.  In 25 years of division play, the Iron Bowl has been an all or nothing for the SEC West exactly once (2013).  AU has needed to win the Iron Bowl a few times to make it ('97, '00, '13), but that's about it as far as West significance goes.  Remember too that in 1997 and 2000, Bama had no shot at making it.

15 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

It is Gus wetting the bed against UGA every year

I agree with this 100%. I have said it over and over - Georgia is the downfall of Gus. Don't get me wrong - uat is the ultimate prize but not a realistic win for AU (or anyone). The uga games have been winnable and we just tanked... and I think Gus missed his window because uga is now turning into a monster. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I agree with this 100%. I have said it over and over - Georgia is the downfall of Gus. Don't get me wrong - uat is the ultimate prize but not a realistic win for AU (or anyone). The uga games have been winnable and we just tanked... and I think Gus missed his window because uga is now turning into a monster. 

Although I think two years is too short of a time to say whether a coach is going to be good or bad, I am afraid you are going to be correct about uga and Smart.  Smart is dominating the recruiting trail and while their schedule has been easy (other than ND), uga  is dominating folks and getting better every week.

wde

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sorry, but this is flat out wrong.  In 25 years of division play, the Iron Bowl has been an all or nothing for the SEC West exactly once (2013).  AU has needed to win the Iron Bowl a few times to make it ('97, '00, '13), but that's about it as far as West significance goes.  Remember too that in 1997 and 2000, Bama had no shot at making it.

I think what he meant is that if Alabama continues, and Auburn starts consistently playing to their potential, most future Iron Bowls will feature undefeated or one loss teams where it becomes the SEC West Championship Game.  Personally, I think it is more likely that Orgeron or someone else will get LSU back on track, and the SEC West becomes a legitimate 3-way battle.

32 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I think what he meant is that if Alabama continues, and Auburn starts consistently playing to their potential, most future Iron Bowls will feature undefeated or one loss teams where it becomes the SEC West Championship Game.  Personally, I think it is more likely that Orgeron or someone else will get LSU back on track, and the SEC West becomes a legitimate 3-way battle.

Fair enough.  Didn't read it that way at first, but I can see it through that prism.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fair enough.  Didn't read it that way at first, but I can see it through that prism.

I only took it that way as it seemed his entire post was in reference to the future.

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO 10-2 will not get you fired. Not beating Bama will.

This. Losing to top flight Alabama teams when you're Arkansas or MSU is one thing. Losing to them when you're Auburn is another. Auburn has beaten top ranked Alabama teams before and will again. To expect us to win every year is crazy unless they're being coached by Mike Shula. But to expect a win here and there, even against Saban, is not that far out of the realm of possibility. Ole Miss beat UAT 2 years in a row and came relatively close in 2016 as well. Auburn beat Alabama in 2013 fairly and came relatively close in 2014 as well - Auburn wins that game by 2+ scores if they have a defense. Even the 2015 game was close until later in the 4th quarter. Point is, as a rivalry game, you're expected to not only be competitive but pull off the win every couple of years. You can defend a loss to a top 5 or even #1 Alabama team in any given year. It's a lot harder to defend when it's 3 or 4 in a row, and you have the resources to build a top 10 team nearly every year.

I agree with AUIH1 - the heat is on because of the disasters against UGA. To be honest, Auburn has played better against Alabama in all of the Iron Bowls then they have against weaker UGA teams. They got blown out in 2014 and blundered their way to close losses in 2015 and 2016. They needed a miracle to win in 2013 - the win over Alabama that year was awesome but Auburn played a much better game against UAT than they did against the dwags.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:32 PM, meh130 said:

According to some, Bielema's current buyout is $15.4 and drops to $11.7 million on January 1st, 2018.

Other sources claim it will be only $5.9 after the last 2017 game on November 24th.

The smart move would be for Gus to get fired and get what buyout he could from Auburn, and avoid Arkansas needing to pay CGM's AU buyout.

Frankly, I have gotten to the point where looking at these sorts of numbers just disgusts me.  :puke:

Big time college football has become a barely disguised professional sports operation that is only about the money. 

We pay these coaches millions of dollars to do a job that is pretty much proscribed as if you were working directly from an instruction manual ("Football Coaching for Idiots"?).

We pay a Malzahn millions of dollars to watch him call 17 consecutive (or whatever) running plays on first down???!   Is it really necessary to pay someone this kind of money to do the obvious?

Why pay millions of dollars to get someone to do what any fool with a basic understanding of the game can do?  How much intelligence and talent does it take to examine and utilize the entire ******* manual? :dunno:

Our culture sucks!

(Rant over.)

Archived