Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me the love for Mullen...

Exactly! The clown that did everything that he could to kill our program. The same goes for the TT for AD BS! Why would we want someone that has proven to be only out for themselves to be our AD? 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jimbo would have a complete cultural change. He is nothing like chizik and gus. That is how. 39 million? Well I did not know that. That is unheard of. WOW. JUST WOW. good for jimbo. Bad for anyone who wants to hire him.

No coach changes the culture of a university. Coach Jordan didn't change Auburn, Pat Dye didn't change Auburn, Auburn is Auburn and FSU is FSU. The experience of attending the two schools is very different and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Some prospects prefer AU, some prefer FSU and no coach can change that.

Another thing about Jimbo: His two big rivals, Florida and Miami have both been on historic down cycles. The 'Canes are back up this year, and sooner or later the Gators will be back up as well. Part of Jimbo's success is due to his two biggest rivals being down. That's not something Jimbo accomplished himself.

8 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

The first thing that jumps out is his .592 win/loss ratio at a program where hitting .500 long-term is noteworthy.  You have to go back to the 1940's to find another Mississippi State head coach with a similar record.  He also happened to do that at a time when the SEC West was the strongest it has ever been.  He has the 2nd best record in the entire history of their program.  Having a long-term winning record at a program where most of your predecessors did not (and none within his lifetime did) is a good indicator of head coaching ability.

I suspect Dan Mullen would do rather well if he coached a program with Auburn's resources, facilities, and recruiting base.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

No coach changes the culture of a university. Coach Jordan didn't change Auburn, Pat Dye didn't change Auburn, Auburn is Auburn and FSU is FSU. The experience of attending the two schools is very different and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Some prospects prefer AU, some prefer FSU and no coach can change that.

Another thing about Jimbo: His two big rivals, Florida and Miami have both been on historic down cycles. The 'Canes are back up this year, and sooner or later the Gators will be back up as well. Part of Jimbo's success is due to his two biggest rivals being down. That's not something Jimbo accomplished himself.

I obviously was talking about the cultural change of the football program. Wait so you think no matter who the head coach is the same prospects will always be drawn to Auburn and FSU no matter what just because the 2 schools are very different? And nothing will change that? Different Head coaches will have different recruiting philosophies and go after different guys. If you are a good enough coach and recruiter you can overcome said differences you outlined above and get guys who would not otherwise be drawn to AU if there was another head coach in place. I may be young but even I know that Pat Dye changed the entire culture of the football program that no coach had done before nor has any head coach done since. 

I understand the Mullen love. It's actually the route we should've gone when hiring Gus if we weren't looking to try to lure a big fish. Not in hiring Mullen specifically, but someone who has overachieved at a P5 school and has been a HC long enough to know what they are doing.

That being said, I don't think hiring Mullen would give our program the jolt it would need/we are looking for to replace Gus. 

Also to the Jimbo point again. Buyouts aside, there are only 4 active coaches in the NCAA with a national title and it's funny to me that AU fans wouldn't want one of the coaches from that elite group. He would be as homerun of a hire as you could get. Name a more "splash" hire.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, PoetTiger said:

Bring Dye back?

If Gus loses to A&M I would be all for firing him and making Dye the interim head coach and try to get him his 100th win as AU head coach. Doubt Dye cares about that but it would be nice to see him get to the 100 mark.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I understand the Mullen love. It's actually the route we should've gone when hiring Gus if we weren't looking to try to lure a big fish. Not in hiring Mullen specifically, but someone who has overachieved at a P5 school and has been a HC long enough to know what they are doing.

That being said, I don't think hiring Mullen would give our program the jolt it would need/we are looking for to replace Gus. 

Also to the Jimbo point again. Buyouts aside, there are only 4 active coaches in the NCAA with a national title and it's funny to me that AU fans wouldn't want one of the coaches from that elite group. He would be as homerun of a hire as you could get. Name a more "splash" hire.

Auburn does not need a jolt.  The program has sustained top 10 recruiting for nearly a decade.  Everything needed to win is in place.  What Auburn needs is a head coach that knows better than to use QB tryouts as a gameplan against a playoff team in a season opener, or sit on an early 20 point lead in Tiger Stadium.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

If Gus loses to A&M I would be all for firing him and making Dye the interim head coach and try to get him his 100th win as AU head coach. Doubt Dye cares about that but it would be nice to see him get to the 100 mark.

Sometimes I wonder if there is an active competition for ridiculous ideas on this forum.  Tuberville for AD, Borges or now Dye as interim head coach?  Dye has been irrelevant to football since before any of Auburn's players were born.  If Gus is fired before the end of the season, Steele is most likely named as interim head coach.  All of the defensive players already know him, all of the staff knows him, and I suspect the offensive players respect him.  Anyone in Auburn's administration that considers Dye, Borges, Tuberville, or anyone other than Steele for that role deserves to be fired as well.

11 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Auburn does not need a jolt.  The program has sustained top 10 recruiting for nearly a decade.  Everything needed to win is in place.  What Auburn needs is a head coach that knows better than to use QB tryouts as a gameplan against a playoff team in a season opener, or sit on an early 20 point lead in Tiger Stadium.

IDK fire Malzahn to hire Mullen from a PR standpoint only would be mehhhh. That's how the media would treat it anyway

From a coaching standpoint we would be in a much better position and check off those things that you mentioned in the 2nd half of your post.

Just now, Tiger said:

IDK fire Malzahn to hire Mullen from a PR standpoint only would be mehhhh. That's how the media would treat it anyway

From a coaching standpoint we would be in a much better position and check off those things that you mentioned in the 2nd half of your post.

If Auburn fired Gus and hired Mullen, Auburn would be hiring a more qualified candidate than it basically ever has.  He is certainly more qualified than Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, Chizik, or Malzahn were.  If Mullen came in and started winning, any media criticism would disappear quickly.

7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If Auburn fired Gus and hired Mullen, Auburn would be hiring a more qualified candidate than it basically ever has.  He is certainly more qualified than Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, Chizik, or Malzahn were.  If Mullen came in and started winning, any media criticism would disappear quickly.

I agree and I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with Mullen but I don't want him to be our first target either.

What are Mullen's deficiencies? Every coach has them I'm just not sure about DM's because I don't know enough about him and what MSU fans complain about.

I like the idea of what he does with MSU talent vs essentially our same competition and what that means with the talent he could get at AU.

13 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I get why most of  us don't lie Mullen.  However, my approval for him is this.  1.  Gus has by far out recruited Mullen every single  year yet Mullen is 2-3 against Gus with inferior talent.  2.  Starkville, is the least attractive location in the SEC West if you are a recruit, worse than Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge, yet he does a decent job of recruiting.3. Mullen is in the least attractive job in the SEC  West but is 18-18 in the SEC 37-22 overall.  Gus in comparison, with more money, better recruiting territory, a top 10 recruiting class every year, and being paid more is 22-15 SEC 41-20 overall.

Im not  saying Mullen has to come to Auburn, but I can only imagine what he could accomplish on The Plains or College Station

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

THANK YOU!

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Winning cures all.  Everyone would careless about  the whole Cam issue after back to back 10 win seasons. 

22 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Chizik did not have an established trend that lasted three years.  Chizik was 8-5 in his first year, won a BCS National Championship in his second, went 8-5 in his third, then went 3-9 and was fired after his fourth year.  He also replaced both coordinators heading into that fourth season.

Well, you're right the trend only lasted two years. But 2011 raised lots of concerns. 2011 ended very, very badly, with an offense that could not move the ball against good competition.

• Arkansas 38, Auburn 14
  • Auburn 17, Florida 6 (made us feel a little better)
  • LSU 45, Auburn 10
  • UGA 45, Auburn 7
  • Auburn 35, Samford 15
  • Bama 42, Auburn 14
  • We had the good game against Virginia in the Peach Bowl.

Tension increased, and Malzahn took the chance to become a head coach. He did well at Arkansas State. Meanwhile, Auburn continued to decline in 2012, and team cohesiveness just fell completely apart. But it started in 2011.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I agree and I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with Mullen but I don't want him to be our first target either.

What are Mullen's deficiencies? Every coach has them I'm just not sure about DM's because I don't know enough about him and what MSU fans complain about.

I like the idea of what he does with MSU talent vs essentially our same competition and what that means with the talent he could get at AU.

I do not know if Mullen would even want to come to Auburn.  If I were him, I would stay at Mississippi State.  Lower expectations, and he would be likely to become the best coach they have ever had.  That said, I doubt he would be Auburn's first target.  Given the way things have gone lately, Auburn would form a search committee of "Auburn Men" that subsequently announces Rhett Lashlee as the new head coach.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

The idea of Jimbo Fisher is ridiculous. He has a 39 million dollar buy out . Only a fool would dish that out and then some 

Just now, Strychnine said:

I do not know if Mullen would even want to come to Auburn.  If I were him, I would stay at Mississippi State.  Lower expectations, and he would be likely to become the best coach they have ever had.  That said, I doubt he would be Auburn's first target.  Given the way things have gone lately, Auburn would form a search committee of "Auburn Men" that subsequently announces Rhett Lashlee as the new head coach.

Exactly . Hope that would satisfy some around here . Another auburn guy. It’s either that or someone unproven . Pick your poison 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The idea of Jimbo Fisher is ridiculous. He has a 39 million dollar buy out . Only a fool would dish that out and then some 

I said "buyouts aside", my man. 

I also know its unrealistic he comes but it's funny some mentioned reasons for not wanting him other than the buyout.

Mullen would be my first target if Gus did leave. Guy puts winning football teams on the field with way less talent and resources. He can recruit and will have a better landscape to recruit. Plus he knows the SEC. I would much rather "take a chance" on him them someone who is untested in this environment.  

7 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Well, you're right the trend only lasted two years. But 2011 raised lots of concerns. 2011 ended very, very badly, with an offense that could not move the ball against good competition.

• Arkansas 38, Auburn 14
  • Auburn 17, Florida 6 (made us feel a little better)
  • LSU 45, Auburn 10
  • UGA 45, Auburn 7
  • Auburn 35, Samford 15
  • Bama 42, Auburn 14
  • We had the good game against Virginia in the Peach Bowl.

Tension increased, and Malzahn took the chance to become a head coach. He did well at Arkansas State. Meanwhile, Auburn continued to decline in 2012, and team cohesiveness just fell completely apart. But it started in 2011.

In fairness to Chizik, that has turned out to be the case with Gus' offense when he does not have Cam or Nick Marshall taking snaps.  That said, you are correct that it started in 2011.  Chizik made two critical mistakes that ultimately led to his demise.  First, he decided to transition to a pro-style offense, with a roster of players recruited to do Gus' thing.  On top of that, the QB position was in bad shape for such a transition.  Second, he hired an unqualified Scot Loeffler to oversee that transition.  I think he could have survived the first mistake, had he made a good offensive coordinator hire.

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I said "buyouts aside", my man. 

I also know its unrealistic he comes but it's funny some mentioned reasons for not wanting him other than the buyout.

Yeah some of these people are fools. Jimbo is a very good coach.

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In fairness to Chizik, that has turned out to be the case with Gus' offense when he does not have Cam or Nick Marshall taking snaps.  That said, you are correct that it started in 2011.  Chizik made two critical mistakes that ultimately led to his demise.  First, he decided to transition to a pro-style offense, with a roster of players recruited to do Gus' thing.  On top of that, the QB position was in bad shape for such a transition.  Second, he hired an unqualified Scot Loeffler to oversee that transition.  I think he could have survived the first mistake, had he made a good offensive coordinator hire.

I may be going off the subject a little, although I think I'm a little late to that party, but I like Chiz as a studio analyst.  He's well spoken, he analyzes games very well and he obviously knows what he's talking about.

Archived