Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

16 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Huh?  Oh you mean Jacobs will bring back Tuberville.

16 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Huh?  Oh you mean Jacobs will bring back Tuberville.

I can tell you if JJ was staying Gus would have already been gone. But Gus knows his days here are numbered he will try to take the Arky job while he can. JMHO

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see Gus going there def if he gets fired, but if he wins over Georgia, loses close in Alabama game, and things seem rocky after another embarrassing bowl game, they just throw the house at him even if he’s retained. It’s certainly a step down, but there’s oh so many reasons why Gus would take that job and I think we all know that if it looks slightly grim here, he’s taking it 

Gus to Arky, McElwain to the West Coast, Petrino and Chip Kelley to everywhere. It's Jimmy Sexton season. 

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I can tell you if JJ was staying Gus would have already been gone. But Gus knows his days here are numbered he will try to take the Arky job while he can. JMHO

I agree with this if Gus is offered the Arky job.  I do think that there is merit to this. Who knows what will happen. 6-6 or 7-5 will send him packing. (100% for 6-6......95% for 7-5 with Gus leaving the building for good). We all saw how he got out of Dodge in 2011 and lost a ton of $$$$$ in the process.

On the subject of Jimbo Fisher: Some here want to fire a head coach whose team is 6-2 and hire one whose team is 2-4???? Stop and think about that for a few seconds.

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

SPOILER ALERT: I cannot stand Jacobs.  Gene was a terrible  hire.  5-19 on a 10 game losing streak.  Jacobs was actually surprised by  the negative reaction.. Gene had a magical year in 2010, but deep down no one gave Gene credit for it.  Gus leaves,  Gene goes 3-9 and Jacobs fires the guy to save his own neck.  Ever since in the media it's Auburn is always quick to pull the trigger on their coaches.  Just look what they did too Chizik.  Even though it was those same morons criticizing the hire to begin with.  Jacobs makes bad hires then fires them as soon as he feels threatened. 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could see Gus going there def if he gets fired, but if he wins over Georgia, loses close in Alabama game, and things seem rocky after another embarrassing bowl game, they just throw the house at him even if he’s retained. It’s certainly a step down, but there’s oh so many reasons why Gus would take that job and I think we all know that if it looks slightly grim here, he’s taking it 

I somewhat have a hard time seeing Gus leaving Auburn for Arkansas right now.  For starters I  do not believe Gus sees himself as an 8-4 football coach.   He believes 2013 is his normal and every year since has been bad luck.   Assuming Gus finishes 8-4 this year and  does  leave for Arkansas,  to me, that means Gus has admitted to himself that he is  just an 8-4 football coach and he needs to  go  somewhere where that is acceptable.  I  do not believe Gus will ever accept that he is 8-4 on any given year.  He want's to prove to himself, his players, the fans, and the boosters that he can when 10+ games a year regularly.  He can beat Saban every other year.  He can win the SEC and a NC.  Leaving Auburn for Arkansas, means Gus will have to admit failure. His ego  won't let that happen. 

And besides, two years in a row now Gus has said the next 3-4 years are about to  be Auburn's best.  Which I am hoping some sports writer makes him eat those words at the end of the season. 

52 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Lots of folks in TLH want Jimbo gone yesterday...but $40 mil buyout.  Will someone bail FSU out?

Personally, I am not big on Jimbo.  He hasn't done much without Winston.

36 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

SPOILER ALERT: I cannot stand Jacobs.  Gene was a terrible  hire.  5-19 on a 10 game losing streak.  Jacobs was actually surprised by  the negative reaction.. Gene had a magical year in 2010, but deep down no one gave Gene credit for it.  Gus leaves,  Gene goes 3-9 and Jacobs fires the guy to save his own neck.  Ever since in the media it's Auburn is always quick to pull the trigger on their coaches.  Just look what they did too Chizik.  Even though it was those same morons criticizing the hire to begin with.  Jacobs makes bad hires then fires them as soon as he feels threatened. 

I somewhat have a hard time seeing Gus leaving Auburn for Arkansas right now.  For starters I  do not believe Gus sees himself as an 8-4 football coach.   He believes 2013 is his normal and every year since has been bad luck.   Assuming Gus finishes 8-4 this year and  does  leave for Arkansas,  to me, that means Gus has admitted to himself that he is  just an 8-4 football coach and he needs to  go  somewhere where that is acceptable.  I  do not believe Gus will ever accept that he is 8-4 on any given year.  He want's to prove to himself, his players, the fans, and the boosters that he can when 10+ games a year regularly.  He can beat Saban every other year.  He can win the SEC and a NC.  Leaving Auburn for Arkansas, means Gus will have to admit failure. His ego  won't let that happen. 

And besides, two years in a row now Gus has said the next 3-4 years are about to  be Auburn's best.  Which I am hoping some sports writer makes him eat those words at the end of the season. 

Personally, I am not big on Jimbo.  He hasn't done much without Winston.

I hope you are right. Not so sure though. Like you, I am no Jimbo fan.  Lets see how it all plays out. Neither of us knows.  I like Matt Campbell if we go in the direction of new coach. $9 million buyout is worth it for him.

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope you are right. Not so sure though. Like you, I am no Jimbo fan.  Lets see how it all plays out. Neither of us knows.  I like Matt Campbell if we go in the direction of new coach. $9 million buyout is worth it for him.

IDK.  I  just want Jacobs gone.  We can worry about Gus in December.

This seems to me a beware of what you wish for situation. I have observed finebum pushing for Gus to go to AK for quite some time now. I think he wants Gus gone from Auburn because Gus is still a threat to his beloved bama. Remember Gus has beat saban twice which is more than anybody else has done save Ole Miss and the bama TPB have certainly addressed that situation. . I want to see how the rest of the season goes before I join the "off with his head" crowd. Hopefully the LSU game has knocked some common sense into Gus and he gets back to the offense that got him to where he is. One thing I have learned in life is that  you learn by your mistakes. Hopefully this has sunk into Gus's mind also. The problems are the buyout and who do we get for a coach? I hope calmer minds prevail here. There is  still a lot of football to be played so its a little  early to start building the scaffold. JMO

WDE

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

I have observed finebum pushing for Gus to go to AK for quite some time now.

Might want to trade his sweatervest for a parka if that happens

This seems to me a beware of what you wish for situation. I have observed finebum pushing for Gus to go to AK for quite some time now. I think he wants Gus gone from Auburn because Gus is still a threat to his beloved bama. Remember Gus has beat saban twice which is more than anybody else has done save Ole Miss and the bama TPB have certainly addressed that situation. . I want to see how the rest of the season goes before I join the "off with his head" crowd. Hopefully the LSU game has knocked some common sense into Gus and he gets back to the offense that got him to where he is. One thing I have learned in life is that  you learn by your mistakes. Hopefully this has sunk into Gus's mind also. The problems are the buyout and who do we get for a coach? I hope calmer minds prevail here. There is  still a lot of football to be played so its a little  early to start building the scaffold. JMO

WDE

Gus won a last second miracle game as head coach and dropped three by an average 15 point deficit. I don't think he's worrying Alabama very much. 

Gus has had several "learning moments" and we keep seeing the same things every year. It's not going to change. Gus has a script and he's convinced it will work. It isn't and it won't. 

WDE

And then...and then he said....Gus is still a threat to Bama :laugh:

2 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

WDE

giphy.gif

Even with Jimbo's deficiencies I think he's a better overall CEO Head Coach than Gus. He has a better handle of whats happening on the field and he also recruits like a madman and sends truckloads of kids to the NFL. Most importantly he knows how to manage a game.

His record this year sucks, yes. He also lost his QB and has a true freshman in there. Should he have had a better backup plan, yes. But he also has a national title win over our current sitting coach who was at the top of his game at the time.

If we hired Jimbo we'd probably have more off the field problems but could find more consistent success on the field and we would land top flight QBs. We'd continue recruiting at a high level and the message board would love him during pressers because he talks a mile a minute rather than papercut you to death with "no doubts" and coachspeak -- until he loses of course then people will be pissed at him no matter what he says or how he says it. 

But I think Jimbo would give us a chance at better than 8-4 every year as Gus seems to be locked into that space for us. It's just who he is.

Jimbo is averaging 10 wins a year over a sustained period.  All their loses have been fairly close with a backup (freshman?)Qb.  I have no doubt they’d only have 1 loss with their original starter.  Jimbo is a top 10 coach in this country.  Gus is a top 20 coach.  I think Jimbo made some questionable moral decisions on Winston but whatever.  If Gus does bolt let’s hope Auburn brings in a top notch coach or he will try to beat us the way we’ve beaten everyone sans LSU and Clemson.  Personally I think Gus is Auburn’s coach for at least a couple more seasons.

37 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Jimbo is a joke, no thanks. If Saban and Mushchamp had a baby, his name would be Jimbo. Operates like one, coaches like the other.

Right I wouldn't want a coach either that had 5 seasons in a row with at least 10 wins and 6 of his 8 seasons as a head coach. Also has a NC under his belt. Can't be that much of a joke. If he did that here no one would have complaints. He is having a bad year this year but 7 years of data don't lie. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Even with Jimbo's deficiencies I think he's a better overall CEO Head Coach than Gus. He has a better handle of whats happening on the field and he also recruits like a madman and sends truckloads of kids to the NFL. Most importantly he knows how to manage a game.

His record this year sucks, yes. He also lost his QB and has a true freshman in there. Should he have had a better backup plan, yes. But he also has a national title win over our current sitting coach who was at the top of his game at the time.

If we hired Jimbo we'd probably have more off the field problems but could find more consistent success on the field and we would land top flight QBs. We'd continue recruiting at a high level and the message board would love him during pressers because he talks a mile a minute rather than papercut you to death with "no doubts" and coachspeak -- until he loses of course then people will be pissed at him no matter what he says or how he says it. 

But I think Jimbo would give us a chance at better than 8-4 every year as Gus seems to be locked into that space for us. It's just who he is.

Jimbo turned down LSU two yrs in a row partly due to the meddling and inept administrators in the LSU AD.  I can't see him giving AU's clown show the time of day.

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Jimbo turned down LSU two yrs in a row partly due to the meddling and inept administrators in the LSU AD.  I can't see him giving AU's clown show the time of day.

Jimbo turned Auburn down back in 2009

11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Jimbo turned Auburn down back in 2009

Yep, I forgot about that.  

The coaching profession is pretty tight, word gets around and coaches and their agents know how Auburn athletics operates.  That's why Auburn always has to find a good "fit" and not always the best man for the job "fits in" with Family.  

Archived